Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking to get the Aeronaut 45 but debating which Material to get

    The Halcyon vs the Ballistic Nylon. I like that the Halcyon is lighter, but I do want to "buy it for life", and the Ballistic Nylon seems like it could hold up better and if I was ever forced to check it in I wouldn't have much to worry about. Also I didnt see anything about Water Resistance with either materials. I assume if I got caught in the rain it wouldn't be a big deal?

    Also when I go overseas (2-3 times a yr) the savings in weight can be clutch, and I assume the Halcyon can "squish" into tighter spots?

  2. #2
    Forum Member Artdime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both fabrics have a urethane coating, so I believe that water resistance should be very similar. I own an Aeronaut 45 in ballistic and I am very happy with it. The weight savings was not worth giving up the ballistic material, which has a higher abrasion resistance. I would be very hesitant to check in anything made out of Halcyon. I do like Halcyon, but prefer it for small accessories and not travel bags. YMMV.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Share
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ballistic A45 and a halcyon A30, and I haven't regretted either material. The A30 is small enough that I never worry about checking it, and the A45 feels solid as a rock in the ballistic, so if it is checked, no big deal.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,793
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ballistic A45 and Pilot. I personally don't like the floppiness of the Halcyon in the structured bags. I prefer the structure of the ballistic for a suitcase. I like knowing that I don't have to worry about the fabric if I sling the bags around. Plus, I like to underpack and the ballistic holds its shape better underpacked.

    I have the shop bags in Halcyon and they get white wear spots if I accidentally brush them up against something, like a concrete stair. Nothing bad. But I feel I have to be more careful. I know some people love the suitcases in the Halcyon fabric. It really is user preference.

    I find both fabrics to be very waterproof.

    You may want to order one of each fabric and send back the one you don't like.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-13-2018 at 11:57 AM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have ballistic A45 and Pilot. I personally don't like the floppiness of the Halcyon in the structured bags. I prefer the structure of the ballistic for a suitcase. I like knowing that I don't have to worry about the fabric if I sling the bags around. Plus, I like to underpack and the ballistic holds its shape better underpacked.

    I have the shop bags in Halcyon and they get white wear spots if I accidentally brush them up against something, like a concrete stair. Nothing bad. But I feel I have to be more careful. I know some people love the suitcases in the Halcyon fabric. It really is user preference.

    I find both fabrics to be very waterproof.

    You may want to order one of each fabric and send back the one you don't like.
    Interesting about the wear spots. Granted I'm not rough but I am worried about if the bag gets checked in and it gets slung around. I've seen others say the Halcyon makes it easier to "overpack" since there is a lot of "give" on it.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artdime View Post
    Both fabrics have a urethane coating, so I believe that water resistance should be very similar. I own an Aeronaut 45 in ballistic and I am very happy with it. The weight savings was not worth giving up the ballistic material, which has a higher abrasion resistance. I would be very hesitant to check in anything made out of Halcyon. I do like Halcyon, but prefer it for small accessories and not travel bags. YMMV.

    Not sure why my original response didnt post. But yeah the weight savings seem to be about 10oz. I couldn't find anything about anyone saying their bags actually ripped on them, but the "wear spots" I'm hearing about now seem kind of worrisome/annoying.

  7. #7
    Forum Member kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both Aeronauts (30 and 45) in ballistic, and while I may have considered a Halcyon A30 if the grey grid version had been available at the time I purchased, I was never tempted to get the A45 in Halcyon. To me, the weight savings are not worth the decreased strength and abrasion resistance, especially since I actually do check the A45 (generally when bringing booze home from vacation Smilie).

    Also, a fully loaded A45 will tip the scales at something over the common carry-on weight limit on a lot of Euro carriers (7kg is the one I see the most). My fully loaded A30 is in the 7-8kg range, so add 50% to that and you can see you're probably going to have to check if the bag is weighed at check-in, even if you save the 10 oz. by going with Halcyon. If you're not planning to fly carriers with a weight limit on carry-ons, then you will just be considering carrying comfort, and the 10 oz. may in fact be worth it to you.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I have both Aeronauts (30 and 45) in ballistic, and while I may have considered a Halcyon A30 if the grey grid version had been available at the time I purchased, I was never tempted to get the A45 in Halcyon. To me, the weight savings are not worth the decreased strength and abrasion resistance, especially since I actually do check the A45 (generally when bringing booze home from vacation Smilie).

    Also, a fully loaded A45 will tip the scales at something over the common carry-on weight limit on a lot of Euro carriers (7kg is the one I see the most). My fully loaded A30 is in the 7-8kg range, so add 50% to that and you can see you're probably going to have to check if the bag is weighed at check-in, even if you save the 10 oz. by going with Halcyon. If you're not planning to fly carriers with a weight limit on carry-ons, then you will just be considering carrying comfort, and the 10 oz. may in fact be worth it to you.
    Valid points. I've heard a lot about some of the smaller carriers out side of the US who are pretty strict with weight, but in those cases I would probably pack as light as possible. I originally considered the Halcyon since it seemed like it would be a tad more flexible with getting into tight spots and the weight savings seemed like a Bonus, but now I'm wondering if the bag would be "floppy" if I didnt pack it to the max and.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the A30 in halcyon, and now have the A45 in ballistic. Surprising, for me the ballistic A45 felt lighter when packed with the same load. The ballistic gives the bag more structure and support. For most things I much prefer halcyon, but for the Aeronaut I find the ballistic version better. Also, with the A45 I try not to go over 9 kg. It keeps things more comfortable.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Western Flyer in halcyon and I love it, but this is a bag I will never be checking in when traveling. I wouldn’t feel good about this material in a checked bag, not rigid/protective enough with the way they throw bags around. But as a carry on (and I usually wear it in backpack mode) I absolutely love it and would not want ballistic (I have a small cafe bag and side effect in ballistic, so I’m familiar with that too).

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase the Dyneema version of the 45. We have an A30 and A45 in that material and they are best of breed packs as far as I’m concerned. Most of my back country packs are made of the same material and they are used and abused in far harsher conditions then my A30 will ever endure, I trust those packs to carry the things I need to survive those experiences unequivocally.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of Halcyon bags and have never had a problem with “white spots” or wear on any of them.

    In fact, the only bags of mine that have developed wear spots have been my Ballistic ones. Since Ballistic has a sheen to it, it seems that even minor points of abrasion really stand out against the pattern of its weave. As a result, I feel like I almost have to be more careful with my Ballistic bags than with my Halcyon bags to keep them looking good.

    I know that Ballistic is thicker and stronger overall, but my impression is that the Halcyon stands up just as well to the indignities of daily use.

    Once I lost my grip on a heavily loaded Halcyon Pilot and it fell onto very rough asphalt: I expected to find the worst, but there was not a scratch. Meanwhile, a Ballistic Pilot I used to have developed the dreaded white spots simply from brushing against my car’s trunk lining during my commute to my office.

    After traveling all over Spain with a Halcyon A30, I can say it never felt vulnerable, or like a compromise: it came back looking brand new.

    That said, I do love TB's Ballistic nylon, and the structure it provides to certain bags: my Ballistic NFTD and WF are among my favorites.

    Your mileage may vary, but I would say “buy what you like,” rather than worrying.

    Both materials are great!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 04-14-2018 at 04:46 AM.

  13. #13
    Forum Member Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Share
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Aeronauts in Dyneema and Balistic, but my only Halcyon bag in my Founder’s Briefcase. Halcyon in, perhaps the smart option, Dyneema the light, but tough option and Balistic is the world traveling, super tough, stay clean option. I lend out my Dyneema one (occasionally), but my Balistic is mine, all mine and only mine! Halcyon? No, not really. It feels relatively fragile, especially if you have items in external pockets. So, in short, for Aeronauts, buy Balistic and you’ll never regret it.

  14. #14
    Forum Member Amy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a halcyon A30 that I use for every trip and I never feel any need to baby it. It is small and light enough to go carry on, but I really would not worry about it surviving a checked experience (my only worry would be losing it!). Even though the material is flexible, the whole bag feels very tough. I have never noticed any abrasion issues on my halcyon bags, but I suppose if anyone could figure out a way to destroy halcyon, it might be the airlines. Definitely for me, the lightness and squishability of the halcyon is the bigger benefit. I have overpacked my assorted halcyon bags on many occasions and they have taken it like a champ. I am stunned how much I can fit in my A30.

    My husband has a Ballistic Western Flyer which is extremely sturdy, and that ballistic material does seem invincible. It is much harder to squeeze extra stuff into though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I have a halcyon A30 that I use for every trip and I never feel any need to baby it. It is small and light enough to go carry on, but I really would not worry about it surviving a checked experience (my only worry would be losing it!). Even though the material is flexible, the whole bag feels very tough. I have never noticed any abrasion issues on my halcyon bags, but I suppose if anyone could figure out a way to destroy halcyon, it might be the airlines. Definitely for me, the lightness and squishability of the halcyon is the bigger benefit. I have overpacked my assorted halcyon bags on many occasions and they have taken it like a champ. I am stunned how much I can fit in my A30.

    My husband has a Ballistic Western Flyer which is extremely sturdy, and that ballistic material does seem invincible. It is much harder to squeeze extra stuff into though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Have you ever checked in a halcyon bag? EDIT nvm just re ready the post.
    Last edited by CashmereEsquire; 04-14-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •