Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the Absolute Shoulder Strap too much for the Co-Pilot?

I have had an Absolute since 2013, used every weekday with a heavy-ish Tumi computer bag. I love it, grips great and does definitely make a difference in dynamic weight of the bag. A couple weeks ago I switched out the Tumi for a Cadet and it's perfect. Fewer pockets but a lot lighter, and the Absolute made the switch too, it's still with me every day.

So, getting ready for a 16 day trip in Germany. Car type trip, 3 cities and a lot of city walking. I have chosen to go with a CoPilot as a shoulder bag with a micro type backpack inside for larger totes back from a store with water & snacks. I just don't have a feel for how the Absolute will work. I am not too fond of the standard shoulder strap though and feel the larger one will be more comfortable. I just hope it's not too out of proportion for the CP.

Side Kick note, I am grabbing one of these too that will probably be very lightly packed, just passports, phone sometimes, earbuds, more of a personal bag for the plane I guess than anything, while the CP can be my carry-on. It will travel together in the CP in town, and while the Side Effect may have been better for that nesting, I couldn't see using it because my iPhone is a Plus size and it can't sit vertical in the SE. TC was a consideration as well but it's not available at the moment.

The only other bags I considered for town were the Synapses and the 25 is way too big/heavy for what I need most of the time, the 19 may be great for my trip EDC but I am taller and probably larger than recommended. The CP and/or SK will probably both be great for future weekend trips so I don't think they will go unused.

I have rambled a bit as an introduction and I guess I have bottled up a lot to say up to now. Hello!

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Op/Tech USA, the company that manufactures the TB Absolute Strap (TB simply rebrands Op/Tech's S.O.S strap), sells a smaller version, the Mini S.O.S Strap.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting thank you! I have been using Op/Tech straps on DSLR for AGES!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip! As a result of this, I ordered the mini version. I love the Absolute Strap so much and use it with everything, including the Side Effect, which is too much strap for the bag but was the only thing that worked for me. I have back issues, making cross body bags unwearable unless paired with the Absolute Strap specifically. I can’t wait for the mini to come in to try that out with my Side Effect!
    Last edited by Emilymachado; 04-24-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Absolute on everything including the CP and it is just fine!

I also have a few of the Optech both large and smaller and they are great obviously as well.

The Absolute has the curve and the Optech do not seem to but I am not even sure that I prefer one to the other really?

I also carry SLRs with the Optech,it is just a great idea for strap carry.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so the Mini SOS is on the CoPilot now. The strap is good, but the swivel snap hooks seem heavier than the ones on the Absolute, though overall the mini is lighter than the absolute. So, I ordered a pair of 1" snap triangles but then realize I may miss the swivel feature.

Losing the swivel feature I may as well just hard strap the SOS to the bag triangles but the slot is too tight, and I think perhaps not 1" wide.

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my older Absolute Strap for my EDC Co-Pilot. Works very well, comfortable and don't even notice the bag on my shoulder.

Forum Member
    Maplewood, NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Absolute on everything from my Side Kick to my A45

Columbus, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the miniOptech on my CP for years; great combo.
    [2004] Brain Bag (w/Lg. A45 Packing Cube, Q-kit & 2 Brain cells) ___________________________________________ "Be excellent to each other."
    - [2010] Aeronaut45 (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/S.O.S. strap, Cache, Clear Org wallet, 3D mesh cube, whistle, Sm. COP's & Q-kit)
    - - - [2015] Tristar (traded for A30)
    - - - - [2016] ID, Aeronaut30 (w/Absolute & Lg. Aether cube), Side Effect

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have both the the OPTech for my Triple Aught Design’s Meridian bag and the mini which I purchased for my inbound Tristar. Both are very comfortable. Since they are so soft, i do wonder how long they will last?

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my CP I used the Absolute all of the time and the proportions felt fine to me...didnít look off at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Absolute 5 days a week for 5 years and the stretchy part still looks just about new. The webbing is curled up and slightly tattered but that is to be expected. I am confident of at least another 10 years of daily use.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info, good to hear that it will last!