Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    Of course there are people who consider the other bags mentioned just perfect for them. That's fine, we all have different needs.
    This is the heart of it of course. We all have different preferences and need states... there's more than enough cool producers out there to suit most folks. There is not One Bag to Rule Them All...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of TB bags for nearly any kind of EDC or travel situation. I like and enjoy using the bags, of course, but the reasons behind my loyalty to TB products over other companies' bags has changed with time. For me, it's the TB company's ethos, the thoughtfulness of and the top notch service by the TB Crew and the fun of being part of this forum that keeps me as an interested and repeat customer.

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB's job is also to listen to feedback and make adjustments and improvements. TB is a small company which benefits from a loyal customer base who is passionate about their TB items. When customers talk about their TB products, others come to TB and buy. This is how I came to find TB, became interested in the TB bags and why I decided to give my Synapse and the otherTB items a shot. As a customer who has dropped a lot of money (middle class money), I would hope TB would value my suggestions to perfect TB products. How innovative would that be in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    Every so often there's someone that comes in the forum here, or spouts off on reddit about "what kind of bags Tom Bihn should make".

Tom Bihn should make the kinds of bags that Tom Bihn wants to make. It is HIS company. (Well his company that he shares with his lovely staff of brilliant coworkers.)

Do I have things I wish TB would include on their bags? Yeah of course I do, but it's not my place to comment on them (except in the forum thread that's actually about that). TB bags aren't for everyone, and that's OK.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasoning in the original post: "TB is failing to innovate because it isn't producing a 'true carryon sized travel backpack' like everyone else". Welp.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-27-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Forum Member
    Raleigh, NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some companies do a ton of market research and create their products based primarily on what they hear their customers asking for. That is the norm for most successful companies. Some companies design products based on what a designer thinks that customers need. Most of those companies fail. (aside: its never a pure either/or, but companies tend to lean one way or another). However, in some rare situations those second type succeed. Apple is an example. Steve Jobs wasn't a visionary in the way that Bill Gates was in that Gates could anticipate where technology was going, but he was a visionary in having a deep understanding of how people wanted to USE technology in their every day lives and incorporated that insight into Apple products. Jobs never designed products based PRIMARILY on market surveys and often went against them. They were never the first to enter a product category, but when they did enter their products fit into many some peoples lives better. Apple "missed" a lot of markets over Jobs career and chose not to enter others, but I don't think most people would say that what they should have ignored Jobs insights and followed what other companies were doing. There were plenty of other companies that could do that, but only one Apple. I am not an Apple customer, but I recognize that a lot of what I love about my Samsung phone would not exist without Jobs dragging the market in the right direction.

IMO, Tom Bhin falls into that second category. For most companies this formula doesn't work. Most fail. In their case it does work and has resulted in decades of success. Will they miss some markets? Sure. Will they chose not to make some products that seem to make sense to us? Sure. Will they sometimes disappoint some people? Absolutely. Do I want them to quit designing products based primarily on Tom's insights and start depending PRIMARILY to what people say? Hell no. There are plenty of good companies who can do that. There are not many produce products that make so many people talk to each other in airports about their bags or spend time on Forums talking about them. I'll take it Tom's way.

On the cautionary side of this equation, when Jobs left Apple lost that insight and had to transition into a different company. Jobs did not have a protege that shared his skill set. There was only room for one. His number 2 (Tim Cook) was an industrial engineer who knew how to run the company, and Tim's #2 today is also an industrial engineer. It shows. They are a well run company but in terms of product innovation they are largely still living off of momentum from the Job years. They are large enough with enough loyal customers that they have a lot of chance to get it right, so the jury is still out. Something for Tom Bihn to think about over the long term....

Forum Member
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That thread is funny. I travel 200 days a year with just the synapse 25. Granted, I work on machines and don't have to wear a suit, but I fit everything I need and fully stuffed it still fits under the seat. With the side effect hack in the inside, it's the perfect carry on backpack. Who wants a big box strapped to their back?

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is weird that so many people think of luggage innovation as, "Like, literally a suitcase, but like, as a backpack."
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did skim the thread, but all I have to say is everyone is entitle to their preferences. My first one-bagger bag was a Patagonia MLC about twenty years ago. I've since tried to go more minimalist, but that doesn't work for everyone. As a petite woman, some of the bags mentioned in that thread would be huge on me and/or uncomfortable to carry. I know GoRuck is popular, but I would not be comfortable carrying a very military-looking pack. I've looked at hiking/climbing backpacks, and while I appreciate bags designed for women's build, I have to roll my eyes at some of the dubious color choices (at least in my opinion, I am not the pink and purple type).

I appreciate the aesthetics of Tom Bihn bags, gender neutral colors and designs that are appropriate for a variety of settings. Are there bags I would like to see - yes and I appreciate the chance to give feedback and opinions on current and future designs. I think if people are really going to complain and harp on various designs, they are welcome to design and construct their own bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InAustin View Post
    That thread is funny. I travel 200 days a year with just the synapse 25. Granted, I work on machines and don't have to wear a suit, but I fit everything I need and fully stuffed it still fits under the seat. With the side effect hack in the inside, it's the perfect carry on backpack. Who wants a big box strapped to their back?
    Thing is, the S25 is great for *volume* but not for weight. When loaded with heavy items, it just doesnt feel comfortable at all.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bintobeen View Post
    Thing is, the S25 is great for *volume* but not for weight. When loaded with heavy items, it just doesnt feel comfortable at all.
    Have you tried the internal frame? It changes things completely. My S25 is so much more comfortable with it.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I think there might be a problem with the definition of innovation used in this sentence:

"TB is failing to innovate because it isn't producing a 'true carryon sized travel backpack' like everyone else".

The definition of innovate means the "introduction of something new, a new idea, method or device."

So the person who said that quote wants Tom Bihn to produce a "backpack like everyone else." Isn't that the opposite of innovation?

Tom Bihn excels at innovation, designing products unlike all the mass marketed travel bags out there. While other bags and suitcases do work, they fail in ways that Tom Bihn bags excel. Tom Bihn bags actually make my travel more relaxing, more organized, and more enjoyable. In my experience, no other travel bags accomplish that.

Other companies are making plenty of "maximum carry on size" bags. Once a bag is that big, it's likely going to be too heavy to be comfortable to carry around. I'll take true innovation, Tom Bihn style, thank you very much. elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically wheeled luggage, which a lot of people on that thread obviously try to avoid for various reasons, came out much later than large backpacks. So the idea of putting weight in a backpack isnít really innovative.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess this is getting a bit off-topic, but imo "innovation" doesn't actually have to mean an entirely unheard of category or type of product. Like, if a company somehow designed a 45l travel backpack that weighed half a kilo and was still very durable/structured, I would consider that to be innovative - even if there are a hundred other 45l travel backpacks out there.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about innovation also being in materials and "feel" of the carry. For example of course the Aeronaut was one of the most wonderful multi-use bags at one point in time. But trying other bags - all of which have issues, for sure - and seeing how, for example, you can have a duffel thats a backpack that carries and opens differently, that kind of stuff is very innovative. Hell, TNF base camp is both a duffel and a backpack and as a backpack the feel is so much more comfortable than the Aeronaut, although the latter is much classier and built in the US by fairly-paid labor, etc.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bintobeen View Post
    TNF base camp is both a duffel and a backpack and as a backpack the feel is so much more comfortable than the Aeronaut, although the latter is much classier and built in the US by fairly-paid labor, etc.
    I think this is just a YMMV thing. I carried an overloaded A45 for hours a few weeks ago and I was fine. All things considered, I would prefer not to have 25+ pounds on my back all day, but since the occasion called for it I was glad the tools I had worked so well.

I haven't had much experience with the Base Camp, but it seems like a really nice bag. My brother has a 60L Patagonia Black Hole, a fraternal twin to the Base Camp, that he loves and swears by, and for him it really is the perfect bag. It's ultra-durable and waterproof (he's a scuba diver), and the backpack straps are good enough for him to get through the airport and over the dock. I don't think he'd wear it for a day of sightseeing, though.

The reasons I picked the Aeronaut over the Black Hole, or the Base Camp, or a BAD duffle, or whatever from Red Oxx, are partly what you mentioned above - I like the aesthetics of the bag and the statements of corporate responsibility - and partly the actual features. The duffles I mentioned above all fit into the same niche as the Aeronaut, and they all share an annoying trait: the handles or backpack straps are placed over the bag opening. You have to constantly nudge straps out of the way, and the bag won't stay open or accessible. Plus, when they are in backpack mode, you have a handle or zipper digging into your back. Additional bonuses with TB gear include o-rings (of course), high-contrast interiors, and actual three-dimensional pockets.

For me, the Aeronaut was the right choice. I have a halcyon 30 and a ballistic 45, and for me, at least, they have different uses. The last "onebag" trip I took was 10 days with the S19, because it was the right bag for that trip. Other casual "onebag" trips of the same length have involved the DLBP and the Co-Pilot. Those were the right bags for those trips. There is no one, true backpack, not even from Tom Bihn.
    Last edited by kieri; 04-29-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast