Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Knitting Bag?

So which is the best knitting bag........ The Swift or the Maker ?

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO it's the Travel Tray or the Yarn stuff sack in a Synapse 25. I have the Swift in Halcyon fabric, and it's too floppy for me. I have Little Swifts in Ballistic and Halcyon, and they are okay for a small project. I really don't like the plastic clear zippered pockets, as they tend to stick to other items in the bags. I have a Maker's bag in Halcyon, and I am not in love with how the messenger flap gaps a bit on the sides when the bag is full. I really need to rehome the Swift and Maker's bag!

I love the S25 though, I can clip the Yarn stuff sack into either the main compartment or the large bottom compartment. Another bag I use frequently is the Side Kick. I can fit a small yarn stuff sack in the Side kick, and most of my every day carry items like the Double Organizer Small pouch (use as a wallet), my phone, lip balm, rescue remedy tin, and maybe a couple other small things. Occasionally, if I am in a hurry, I will use the Travel Cubelet and clip a Small Yarn Stuff Sack to the outside. Lots of options for carrying your projects and figuring out what works for you! Good luck and have fun

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbielevy View Post
    I've used both the Swift and MB in Halycon and ballistic and preferred to knit out of the MB because of the wide open space and horizontal orientation.

Have you tried the PT? That is my current project bag because I can put my knitting loom flat inside and still zip the bag close.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbielevy View Post
    There is soooo much personal preference here. Do you like cross-body carry or shoulder carry? Tote or messenger style? Big open space that lets you customize the organization vs more organization built in? Do you plan on taking the bag along or using it more as a knitting “station” at home? Do you want to use the bag to hold a project or more as a home base for knitting tools? What size projects?

Both are great bags in terms of build quality and durability. It really comes down to how you want to use them.

Kansas City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also recommend considering the Pop Tote...

I don't have a Swift, but I do have a Makers Bag and I find that it works best when I need to carry large-ish books / notebooks / computers / rectangular things along with daily carry objects like water bottles, lunch, outerwear and gear. I have an Absolute Strap on it because that makes it super-comfortable for walking distances with heavy loads, and I wear it messenger-style cinched up high on my back. If I have a small knitting project I can clip a stuff sack in to have on the go. I don't like it as a main knitting bag—the gap around the flap means that small things can fall out if you heave the bag around, like in a car.

I prefer a Pop Tote for a knitting bag because I can keep a Freudian Slip in it to securely hold and easily access all the doo-dads: hooks, pens, patterns / papers, iPad, highlighters, notions tins...I can clip in stuff sacks on long leashes to keep projects and yarn coralled if I take them on the road. It also sits open nicely on the floor and stays open so I can access the contents. Most importantly, it can flex in size; if I need to carry just the minimum, it makes for a nice over-the-shoulder tote, but it can also hold a TON of stuff, if I need to have lots of yarn, books, interchangeable needle sets etc. with me. That flexibility makes it the perfect knitting bag for at home and on-the-road use. Plus, being able to zip it shut brings a lot of peace of mind and better sling-around-ability.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueflax View Post
    I prefer a Pop Tote for a knitting bag because I can keep a Freudian Slip in it to securely hold and easily access all the doo-dads: hooks, pens, patterns / papers, iPad, highlighters, notions tins....
    What size Freudian Slip do you use?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the experience of somebody who does needlework counts but, I love the Swift, the Shop Bag and Blueflax just gave us the idea of using the Pop Tote.

I also love Flaneuse's ideas on the use of the Small Yarn Stuff Sack with the Side Kick and the Travel Cubelet.

My traveling set up is the Yarn Stuff Sack and it takes quite a bit of space, I need to experiment with the Travel Stuff Sack which size is the closest to the Small Yarn Stuff Sack and see if everything fits.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-11-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    What size Freudian Slip do you use?
    @G42:

@blueflax is using the Freudian Slip for the Swift/Maker's Bag. See her earlier comments on the Pop Tote:

It is an empty cavernous space (the Swift has more built-in pocketry) inside, and you do have to wrangle it a bit to organize it to your liking. When I am using it as a knitting bag I drop in a Maker's Bag Freudian Slip that I can stuff all my tools and patterns in. It can be a bit of a black hole if you don't have some sub-organization strategy.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big fan of the Swift and the Shop Bag as knitting bags. That being said, I have used just about every TB bag that I own in that capacity. I often knit at dog shows, at the beach, or in a park. In these places, I much prefer a bucket style bag to knit out of, and the Swift is excellent for this. My old Swift still looks like new, and the ballistic nylon sheds dirt and dog hair like a champ. I do prefer the LSB when I am working on large projects-the wider mouth makes fitting almost-finished sweaters or afghans simpler. The PT also is a good choice, but only if I snap down the sides-primarily because I do not like zippers near my knitting. If you are carrying a fair amount of 'other stuff", the MB may be better for you; it has more pocket/compartments than the Swift, LSB, or PT. I usually just throw a FS in my Swift if I need more compartments. I have also found that I tend to carry the Swift by the handle, which is usually easier for me to move it around- although it fits easily on my shoulder. If I needed cross body style, the MB would be much better. Regardless, GET A TRAVEL TRAY!! Or 3. They are the most useful tool to have when knitting on the go. The large size is a perfect project bag and/or yarn bowl to corral your yarn when knitting in public. The small size will keep stitch markers, scissors and cable needles handy when actually knitting. Yes, I love my tool pouches and Q-kits, but when I am using an item repeatedly, it is nice to have it handy and not falling in couch cushions, grass, or the floor at Starbucks.

Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Swift! I've been using mine (third one now...) for about 8 years. I switch occasionally to the Maker's Bag, but I always end up back with the Swift. I believe it stands up better, and the open format is great. I find the flap and strap of the MB get in the way. I typically set my Swift on the floor of the train; that is not a place I want the strap or flap!
    MrKnitster on ravelry
    Aeronaut 45s in Burnt Orange, Verde, Navy and Steel, all with Northern Sky interior, Maker's Bag in Navy/Wasabi, Swifts in Burnt Orange/Northern Sky, Olive/Linen, Medium Cafe Bag in Navy/Cayenne and tons of pouches, stuff sacks, straps, etc.

Forum Member
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    IMO it's the Travel Tray or the Yarn stuff sack...
    My mother, who knits, also appropriated my Travel Tray for her knitting, so I had to get another one. And that, you can put into any other bag of your choice.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add that taking a look at the respective bag video and the numerous pictures taken by the respective owners of each bag, should help you decide.

Kansas City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @G42:

@blueflax is using the Freudian Slip for the Swift/Maker's Bag. See her earlier comments on the Pop Tote:
    @G42

Sorry, I was away and didn't see this question! Here's an update to my previous post—

I do have a MB FS, but don't like it's configuration in the Pop Tote and for knitting—instead I now use a Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip. I keep patterns, post-its, flat tools, and iPad in the side with the slip pockets, needles in the zippered pocket. On the other side, I keep highlighters, pens, cable needles and crochet hooks in the pen slots, and tools and notions pouches in the mesh pockets. The MCB FS is superior because it offers open access from the top, v. useful when reaching in to a bag. Also its slimmer profile fits better in the Pop Tote and leaves room for other stuff.

I just got out my Makers Bag Freudian Slip to check why I don't use it...the pen slots are INSIDE the zippered pockets which makes accessing the contents a complete pain. I really wish that side was more like the MCB FS: slots with gusseted mesh pockets in front instead of opaque zippered pockets. I'd love to hear how people who like the MB FS use it and why they like it...

Kansas City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I was away and didn't see this question! Here's an update to my previous post—

I do have a MB FS, but don't like it's configuration in the Pop Tote and for knitting—instead I now use a Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip. I keep patterns, post-its, flat tools, and iPad in the side with the slip pockets, needles in the zippered pocket. On the other side, I keep highlighters, pens, cable needles and crochet hooks in the pen slots, and tools and notions pouches in the mesh pockets. The MCB FS is superior because it offers open access from the top, v. useful when reaching in to a bag. Also its slimmer profile fits better in the Pop Tote and leaves room for other stuff.

I just got out my Makers Bag Freudian Slip to check why I don't use it...the pen slots are INSIDE the zippered pockets which makes accessing the contents a complete pain. I really wish that side was more like the MCB FS: slots with gusseted mesh pockets in front instead of opaque zippered pockets. I'd love to hear how people who like the MB FS use it and why they like it...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use refillable markers and watercolor pencils, when I move around with them, they are always in the zippered Clear Quarter Packing Cube.

The MB has a flap closure, so it makes sense that the pen/pencil slot of its FS is secured by a zipper. It also makes sense that it is opaque since the fabric strength keeps everything secure.
    I wonder if a clear pocket, like the one of the Swift would have sufficient strength in front of the pen/pencil slots and it would work with the FS overall design?

I don't have an MB, nor its FS, but I have experience with the FS, numerous TB Bags and accessories.

I buy pens as art supplies individually because, I'd rather have a limited number of colors in quality refillable markers, watercolor pencils which lead doesn't break and wood doesn't split and fountain pens made in Germany that I can use for decades, so I really need a zippered pocket to keep them.

In the Swift, in additon to the side pockets, I have used a Fabric 3D OC and Clear Pouches and Knitting Tool Pouches.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-25-2018 at 06:41 AM.