Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dyneema Co-Pilot - Fit 13" Laptop?

Does anyone here use their Dyneema Co-Pilot to lug around a 13" laptop? I have a Dell XPS 13, and I want to make sure it'll fit. I'm not super worried about padding. Just whether the laptop, by itself would fit. BONUS points if you can post a picture of your laptop in your Co-Pilot.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dyneema Co-Pilot - Fit 13" Laptop?

Ballistic C.P.
    Dell 3189

This is an 11" machine,I can not imagine a 13" fitting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AVService; 05-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not likely, 13" is max for the Pilot, I tried to put a 15" in the Pilot and it didn't work at all. Also, the CP is significantly narrower.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 13in samsung notebook 9 pro fits in the copilot with no trouble and no straining. My 2015 13in macbook air would barely fit but not easily and would put strain on zipper and top of the co-pilot. I think the dell xps is closer in size to my samsung. The dimensions of the samsung are 12.35" x 8.6" x 0.53" and the dimensions of the dell xps 13 are 11.98 x 7.8 x 0.54-0.32 inches (according to this comparision https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-xps-13-2-in-1)
    I think the xps 13 will fit with no problems because it is smaller than my samsung 13 in. which fits just fine.

Here are pictures of my two computers and my co-pilot - the first is of the samsung going in and then the second is it being all the way in with room on top and the macbook is in the chair under the bag, the 3rd photo is the samsung on top of the macbook air to show the size difference with help from my dog and the 4th is the macbook air which does not really fit without strain and pushing it in.
    Dyneema Co-Pilot - Fit 13" Laptop?-img_8461-2-jpgDyneema Co-Pilot - Fit 13" Laptop?-img_5142-2-jpgDyneema Co-Pilot - Fit 13" Laptop?-img_3631-2-jpgDyneema Co-Pilot - Fit 13" Laptop?-img_3184-2-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 05-10-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond has an excellent post on fitting the 13 rMBP into a ballistic nylon Co-Pilot

Will the co-pilot fit a rMBP?

Now, I believe your Dell XPS 13 is a bit shorter (12" vs 12.35") and not as wide (7.8" vs 8.6") so may fit better.

@Fauvette also has some pictures of a Lenovo X230 (12" x 8.13")

Lenovo X230 in Co-pilot

Also, a Ristretto would work well too and it has built-in padding.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-10-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To add to @tpnl's excellent response and links, I'll also point you to my post (#14) in @Perseffect's Smaller can be better - The Co-Pilot thread from 2016.

That discussion focused on the 13" Retina MacBook Pro (model shown in pictures was from 2013). But in addition to pictures of that 13" Retina MacBook Pro in a Steel Ballistic Co-Pilot (shown from various angles, including where different parts of the laptop fell with respect to the zipper head, etc.), I also referenced and included sample pictures from the Minimal briefcase / messenger bag with water bottle thread that showed pictures of the 13" Retina MacBook Pro carried in a Dyneema (aka Original Halcyon) Co-Pilot. The text also references my citations to some discussion in the DaFacto Blog about possible strain on the zipper.

Again, the post in my first link showed various pictures excerpted from the linked posts, but I noted that there are even more pictures and discussion if you follow the links to the original sources.

Also, in my original post (that @tpnl linked), I mentioned that this fit worked for both the Steel Ballistic/Solar Co-Pilot shown in the pictures, and another Steel Dyneema/Solar Co-Pilot that I had, but that it was easier for me to take pictures of the various angled views using the Ballistic Co-Pilot, since I didn't have a setup or an additional person to easily hold the open bag in place. With sufficient time, Ballistic Nylon softens considerably (the time scale is around 3 or 4 years, depending on how new the original Ballistic Nylon fabric bolt is, and the color in use -- it happens whether or not the bag sees substantial use -- but that's another forum discussion topic.)

HTH

moriond

ETA: The dimensions of my Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro were given in the linked post (314 x 219 x 18 mm/12.35'" x 8.62" x 0.71"). @tpnl cited 11.98 x 7.8 x 0.54-0.32 inches for the (looked up) dimensions of the Dell XPS 13, so that laptop is smaller than the 13" rMBP shown in the pictures in the various posts that I linked. It's actually closer to, but still smaller than, the 13" Touchbar rMBP (2016, 2017 models):11.97 x 8.36 x 0.59 inches/304.1 x 212.4 x 14.9 mm. The 13" MacBook Air is a little more than 0.4" longer than the 13" rMBP (that's the limiting dimension for what fits into the Co-Pilot), so I agree that the 13" MBA would stress the Co-Pilot.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-10-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

Again, the post in my first link showed various pictures excerpted from the linked posts, but I noted that there are even more pictures and discussion if you follow the links to the original sources.

Also, in my original post (that @tpnl linked), I mentioned that this fit worked for both the Steel Ballistic/Solar Co-Pilot shown in the pictures, and another Steel Dyneema/Solar Co-Pilot that I had, but that it was easier for me to take pictures of the various angled views using the Ballistic Co-Pilot, since I didn't have a setup or an additional person to easily hold the open bag in place. With sufficient time, Ballistic Nylon softens considerably (the time scale is around 3 or 4 years, depending on how new the original Ballistic Nylon fabric bolt is, and the color in use -- it happens whether or not the bag sees substantial use -- but that's another forum discussion topic.)

HTH

moriond
    That's very interesting. I hope you do start that discussion topic when you have time.
    Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    That's very interesting. I hope you do start that discussion topic when you have time.
    Smilie
    There are already threads in the forum about how the stiffness of the Ballistic Nylon changes with time. For example:

DOES BALLISTIC NYLON EVER LOOSEN UP?

Does the Ristretto 'Loosen Up'?

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thanks for all the responses.