1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 w/accessories for work EDC or something else?

Hi all - I'm new to TB and I am looking for a new work/edc backpack. I really like the S25, but I am open to suggestions. I have 2 carry scenarios:

Scenario A (most common)

9.7 iPad
    Midori Travelers Notebook
    Pen/Pencil - approx 1.5" in Diameter
    Business cards
    2 field notes note books
    2" stack of manila folders
    8.5" x 5.5" Portfolio about 1" thick
    power bank
    iPhone charger
    various flash drives and head

Scenario B:

Add to above
    14" Laptop and charger
    iPad Mini
    mouse
    a book

I really don't plan to carry any clothing in this setup for work, but I could see using this as a photo/weekender

Any advice is appreciated, lots of options here.

Thanks in advance

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scotty!

I have both the S19 and S25. I think the S25 might be a bit more room than you need for Scenario A, but I'm not sure whether an S19 would be enough for Scenario B. Are you using a padded case of any kind for the laptop? I bought the S19 first, then the S25, and will confess that I use the S25 more frequently as an EDC. I use a Cache to protect my 13" laptop and highly recommend it. They work really nicely in the Synapses.

Also, have you considered the Pilot?
    Stowaway in Alphaviolet/Dawn - Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Travel Cubelets in Black and Dawn - Pop Tote in Olive - Synapse 19 in Deep Blue/Iberian Halcyon (with Freudian Slip) - Side Kick in Verde/Ultraviolet Halcyon - Side Kick in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - Synapse 25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon (with Freudian Slip) - Synapse 25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon (with Freudian Slip)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    Hi Scotty!

I have both the S19 and S25. I think the S25 might be a bit more room than you need for Scenario A, but I'm not sure whether an S19 would be enough for Scenario B. Are you using a padded case of any kind for the laptop? I bought the S19 first, then the S25, and will confess that I use the S25 more frequently as an EDC. I use a Cache to protect my 13" laptop and highly recommend it. They work really nicely in the Synapses.

Also, have you considered the Pilot?
    Haven’t looked at the Pilot, but will. I use a 6 y/o Timbuk2 bag with no laptop sleeve. It’s probably 16L ish. You pretty much described my problem. Perfect for A, not so much for B! Thanks for the info. I’ll checkout pilot

Pilot is out for me. I’m a backpack guy all the way.
    Last edited by scotty; 05-14-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use my s25 for a similar load (most of what's mentioned in both scenarios, with a slightly larger 15" laptop, no tablet, and generally less paper, though i think everything you mention should fit comfortably). here's what i usually schlep back and forth to work and how it's organized:

main compartment:
    - cache attached to back panel using rails (holds my work laptop, a pocket folder with a bunch of papers i drag back and forth [probably .5" thick right now], and a medium leuchtturm1917 hardcover notebook)
    - main compartment (umbrella, snacks, a book or magazine)
    - interior elastic pocket (folded light jacket or sweater)

side pocket 1:
    - pencil pouch with assorted writing instruments
    - calculator
    - wireless mouse

side pocket 2:
    - luggage lock
    - luggage tag
    - tissues
    - lip balm
    - few business cards

water bottle pocket: usually empty

small upper center pocket:
    - desk keys clipped to o-ring using a carabiner
    - id badge needed to enter the building

lower pocket (both of the below things fit side by side):
    - large snake charmer (corrals most of the everyday bits and bobs, snacks, notepads / paperclips / etc, reusable straws and totes, phone charging cable, coin purse with some quarters and a small amount of cash)
    - small yarn stuff sack (fits my laptop's power supply and a fairly large spare wired mouse)

in a pinch, i can also fit a small lunch bag and my SK inside, as well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Sounds like the S25 is a better for me than the S19. I'm also a bigger dude, so the S25 would be about right. Is the Brain Bag worth looking at? Too big? Thanks.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S25 is my daily carry. It might seem just a tad big for the stuff I carry (typical stuff: chargers, cords, kindle, pens, etc) but so many times I need to carry something else, food or whatever, and the space is phenomenal. I also got the side effect and key strap to put on the top of the inside pocket. I think it's a great daily bag, but I'm also a taller guy, so it looks fine on me. A smaller person may opt for the 19, but the extra room in the 25 comes in handy so often for me.

It's also my one bag travel bag when I need to fly out of town.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S25 is my EDC now as well. Normally I carry:
    - 13" MacBook Pro in Cache
    - 9.7" iPad
    - Planner Notebook
    - Book to Read
    - Lunch
    - Snack in Mason Jar
    - Water Bottle
    - Several Organizer Pouches with various items

I was using the Daylight Briefcase and I thought it worked well. It was enough for all of my work items, but it didn't fit my lunch and water bottle and other items. I found that I was using another Shop Bag to carry the other items, and a sweater or sweatshirt, or various items that I might need. Also, the charger fit in the DLBC but it was a little awkward. I like the bottom pocket of the S25 for items like that.

I like the S25 because if it's not full, it still carries well, but if I need to load it up it works too.

I would also consider how far you have to walk. I don't have a long walk, but I prefer the convenience of having everything in one bag, putting it on my back to keep my hands free when walking into the office or the house. It seems like I always have coffee in the morning and I'm fumbling with my keys to get into my car or the badge to get into the office.
    MB-Steel/Iberian, SK-Steel/Iberian, DLBC-Grey/Steel, MCB-Orange 152/Navy, SCB-Azure/Navy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like the S25 is a good fit for what Iím looking for. Thanks for all the help!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the S25 for my EDC for about 2 years now, although i recently purchased a new Guide Edition S25 that i just adore.

This is my general organization:

Main Section:

iPad Pro 10.5 in a Tom Bihn Cash
    Fleece/coat and bag lunch
    I also have to take my 13" HP work laptop from time to time. Space is never in short supply in this section

Bottom Section:

Large Snake Charmer loaded with every type of cable known to man

Side pockets:

3D Organizer Cube in both sides loaded with medical stuff, cleaning cloths, business cards, my Apple Pencil and a pen

Larger front pocket - 32oz Klean Kanteen for my coffee

Small front pocket - Keys/ID for work

It works remarkably well. When I'm traveling I have plenty of room for a day or two of clothes as well as my personal items. The bag and the spaces are flexible enough that it can work for almost everyone's needs.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to purchase!
    EDC: Synapse 25 Guide Edition - Deep Blue
    Others: Birds and Beans Limited Edition Small Cafe Bag - Burnt Orange

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S25 seems the way to go. Consider the black panel, Freudian slip and cache for the laptop.

I use an S25 with all 3 accessories inside. They do take up room but ensure everything has a place. Alternative the outside pockets have more than enough storage options for most of the bits you mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like the S25 is a better for me than the S19. I'm also a bigger dude, so the S25 would be about right. Is the Brain Bag worth looking at? Too big? Thanks.
    I have the S25 and I got it because the S19 looked funny on me. I like the larger backpack frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro