Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling to South Africa and feel like a traitor

For as long as I can remember, I've always used a TB bag of some sort for my travels. I'm making an exception with my upcoming trip to South Africa, and I honestly feel like a traitor.

I was at a trail race the other weekend and wound up approaching a woman who had what looked like a very convenient backpack. It had that big "open maw" style of the Smart Alec but it was emblazoned with a Speedo logo. She raved about how easy it was to just throw everything into the bag and how she used it as her main gear bag. She warned me that she'd had it a few years so that chances were likely they didn't make it anymore.

Well, she was wrong. It turns out Speedo makes ONE main backpack (if you're curious, it's called the Teamster, and the large one that she had, has a 35-liter capacity), and they make it in like three dozen different colorways.

Size-wise, it's comparable to the Brain Bag, but it has a waterproof bottom and a shoe pocket, which will work for me for carrying my racing shoes (we're running the Comrades Marathon).

For what it's worth, my main carryon will be stuffed full of TB goodies, like packing cubes. So I'll still have a lot of TB stuff. Just not the main pack.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just different solutions to different circumstances.
    TB doesn't seem to be interested in solving every possible variable... Instead we have an interesting, quirky, design company with their own aesthetic who seem to treat their folks well and definitely treat their customers well...
    So roll with it and have fun... Besides, you have packing bits for company
    😜

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling! I'm considering a replacement for the backpack I've used as a personal item for 25 years, and I feel like I'm betraying it. Big Grin It's funny how we get attached to useful things.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to carry what works for you and your adventure.

I am heading to Italy next week and, like you, will be taking no TB bags. I’m taking my EC international spinner (back and shoulder issues necessity) and my new Lo and Sons tote, which has a trolley sleeve.

But inside these bags will be my PCSB with in-flight gear, SE, spiff kit, TT, and lots of organizing pouches.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck at Comrades, Lani! (and if you don’t pack at least one PCSB we’re staging an intervention).

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Just different solutions to different circumstances.
    Totally agree here. That’s why I travel with wheeled luggage on some trips or check bags on others. It’s not always the ‘right thing’ to travel one and only way, like carry on only.

Pick the right bag for your needs on each individual trip. And if you are lucky enough to have the best options (whoever make them) over a number of carry options. Perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marathons are tricky - you definitely want to pack the right way for your flight as well as to make sure you have everything you need for race day. To misquote John Lennon, "Whatever bag gets you through the night makes it alright".

Good luck with the race and enjoy SA! If you stumble across a lone TB absolute strap, I lost mine somewhere between my hotel and the airport in Cape Town last year. Just sayin'....

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UpToNoGood View Post
    Good luck with the race and enjoy SA! If you stumble across a lone TB absolute strap, I lost mine somewhere between my hotel and the airport in Cape Town last year. Just sayin'....
    Wow, how did you manage THAT?!?!?