Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
    Hi again
    My issue with the Pilot is the difficulty I have with the large front pockets and trying to fish things out while trying to negotiate an airport.
    I wanted to try the Cadet but theyíre not in stock.
    With my laptop, iPad, charger and adapter collection itís gets crowded in there. I wouldnít mind a bit more room.
    Seems Iím not alone either
    Would more organization help? I found the Freudian Slips and Field Journal inserts (or something like this as they are retired) help a lot with these bags. I currently rock with small and medium Organizer pouches and cublets to organize and I find it works well. I just tether them to the O-Rings and have different colors to identify what is in them - e.g. Blue for my earphones, pass, plantronics phone earset; Red for my phone battery charger; Green for USB-C / MicroUSB / HDMI cables, etc, etc, etc.

Here is my Sidekick showing the pouch functionality. Because the pouches are tethered to the O-Ring, I no fear of just pulling them out and unzipping them to get at the contents and then stuffing them back in:

For a Pilot, here are a few pictures and posts on some organization options:

Post: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post126896

For a Cadet, here are a few pictures and a post on organization options:

There are many more that other members have posted over time. I would search the attachment gallery (last section on the forum page).

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-31-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. It wouldnít help me with my pilot. Iím frustrated as it is having to dig and stuff. Iím going to try the Cadet or a new bag that TB might release (hint hint).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a zephyr on ebay right now (not mine or anything - just as an Fyi)
    Last edited by spcanf; 06-03-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by featherwitch View Post
    I agree. Gaping hole between Pilot/Cadet/Stowaway at 12-13L and Empire Builder at 22.5L. So I wait. And try out other bags from competitors. But nothing out there is really meeting my needs.
    I fill that gap with the Synapse 19L (and other 19L backpacks with fewer but bigger pockets), but I'm guessing you don't want a backpack but a more business-professional-looking bag. These 19L backpacks can hold a 13in Macbook (or two!)

dannyre: You got a Synapse 25L for your wife; how do you like that or the 19L for yourself?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poster raises an interesting point. When I look at some other bags I have, they are much more dedicated to a purpose. For instance, my briefcase has an integrated laptop sleeve with cushioning, comes with a very well padded shoulder strap, has lots of pen loops, a cellphone holder, a business card holder, a section for airplane tickets, cubbies for folders and papers, etc. There is no space for a huge water bottle, shoes, laundry, etc. Tom Bihn seems to prefer offering blank slates and add-ons to allow a customer to modify a bag to what he/she needs it to do. That's good if you want one bag that can adapt. That's bad, in my view, if you want a bag that fits perfectly to a purpose - like traveling on a business trip with a non-Apple laptop and a need to easily access documents and other office materials.

I also think there has been a direction by Tom Bihn to move towards the female market with lots of totes and tote-like products. Also, their styling has a lot of curved edges, which honestly makes most of their stuff somewhat feminine (this is just my opinion). This makes sense because I think the female market is under-served. For instance, I very rarely see women in my meetings using a traditional briefcase and if a guy wants a traditional briefcase there are probably dozens of non-Bihn brands that can serve them. Unfortunately, if I'm right, that means getting a perfect briefcase type bag from Tom Bihn isn't likely in the near-future.
    Last edited by NClens; 06-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think there has been a direction by Tom Bihn to move towards the female market with lots of totes and tote-like products.
    Really? I'm counting 10 items that are briefcase or messenger bag like (Empire Builder, Ristretto, Pilot, Co-pilot, Cafe bag, Stowaway, Cadet, Tri Star, Makers Bag, Daylight Briefcase) and 4 that are Tote-like (Swift, Shop Bag, Moveable Feast, Pop Tote). I personally don't consider 4 options "lots" (I'd really call it 3, since the Moveable Feast is really a specialized bag and not a general purpose tote).
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a totally square non-cool person, so I think of some of those messenger-type bags (the ristretto, cafe bag, makers bag) as tote-like because they're the same more vertically oriented shape as a tote but with the loop handles cut off and a shoulder strap added. Briefcases tend to be longer rectangles. Opinions obviously can vary, as they should.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    I'm a totally square non-cool person, so I think of some of those messenger-type bags (the ristretto, cafe bag, makers bag) as tote-like because they're the same more vertically oriented shape as a tote but with the loop handles cut off and a shoulder strap added. Briefcases tend to be longer rectangles. Opinions obviously can vary, as they should.
    Yes, opinions do vary! As someone who finds tote bags very useful and loves the Pop Tote, I don't think the Ristretto or Cafe Bags are totes at all. They simply don't have the depth needed to carry bulky or oddly shaped items which is one of the reasons I like totes. Cafe bags and the Ristretto seem to be deigned more for flat objects, like tablets, papers and books. The Makers Bag has a more generous depth (although not as much as the Pop Tote), but too many organisational pockets for me. The main feature of a tote bag is plenty of usable interior space unencumbered by dividers.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think there has been a direction by Tom Bihn to move towards the female market
    I think this is true, either deliberately or inadvertently. I saw the updated home page today with the Travel Cubelet being advertised as a Purse.

I realise that Purse is a literal name for the item and hence gender neutral but culturally I think it has a much stronger female association.

Iíve just checked the product page and there is no photo of a male carrying it. Maybe it is designed as a purse and Iíve misunderstood its original design purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frustrated with Tom Bihn

I also think there has been a direction by Tom Bihn to move towards the female market with lots of totes and tote-like products. (Snip) Unfortunately, if I'm right, that means getting a perfect briefcase type bag from Tom Bihn isn't likely in the near-future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I think this is true, either deliberately or inadvertently. I saw the updated home page today with the Travel Cubelet being advertised as a Purse.

I realise that Purse is a literal name for the item and hence gender neutral but culturally I think it has a much stronger female association.

Iíve just checked the product page and there is no photo of a male carrying it. Maybe it is designed as a purse and Iíve misunderstood its original design purpose.
    Tom Bihn, whose bags are pretty gender neutral across the board, release the Pop Tote, and suddenly you won't get the briefcase you're after, @nclens? Forgive me but that's a logical leap. (Edited because you mentioned totes not the TC, which was mentioned by Perseffect)

They've said on the forum that they are working on an 18-22L Bag to fill the gap between Pilot and Western Flyer. You'll get your bag. The fact that TB make ONE bag that may or may not be directly aimed at female customers won't take anything away from you.

Edited again to add:
    What I am picking up (and responding to) in the two posts about TB moving towards more feminine bags is the gender perception gap.

In various settings, such as in workplaces, watching movies/tv, etc, men will perceive a group as being 50-50 men-women when it is more like 80-20 men-women. Therefore when there is even a slight reduction in the over representation of men, for example, if the group approaches 70-30, men think that women are "taking over".

I can provide a link but anyone who is interested can just look up gender perception gap to read more.
    Last edited by Cristina; 06-12-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This female sees this as a language thing...

In my universe, tote is a verb not a bag. I do not Use a tote. I use a Bag TO tote. That bag might have one strap, two straps, one handle, or two handles. Tote/purse simply don’t fit with me and the way I make my way in the world.

That said, if the bag I would find purposeful is labeled as a purse/tote...or a messenger...or a briefcase... so be it. My gender doesn’t really enter into it. How I use it does. How I subjectively see it does.

One of the things I love about TB is that good design takes the lead, regardless of a bag’s purpose or intentionally/unintentionally marketed gender. If a bag looks like it is going to suit my purpose, that bag will be well designed, well made, and...well...cool looking while without extra flash. All qualities I admire.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I saw the updated home page today with the Travel Cubelet being advertised as a Purse...

Iíve just checked the product page and there is no photo of a male carrying [the Travel Cubelet].
    If I may go off on a tangent here, I have generally preferred to carry stuff in a bag rather than in my pockets. Perhaps because I am not minimalistic with regard to what I consider the essentials that I have preferred bags like the Travel Cubelet, the Side Effect, or a Small Cafe Bag to carrying those things in my pockets.

Indeed, in the wintertime when I am more likely to be wearing a jacket, I can manage to stuff those essentials into my pockets. But my preference, from both an organization and comfort perspective has been for some small bag to house those essentials.

The Travel Cubelet is a perfect fit for me because of the form and the way my stuff fits inside.

Now, over the years, whether it was a Cafe Bag, the Side Effect (which I would wear as a waist pack) or more recently the Travel Cubelet that I was carrying, my friends would refer to the bag as my purse. I use to say -- no, it's a Cafe Bag, or no, it's the Side Effect. At some point, I just started saying -- "let me grab my purse!" By the way, I am a male, in case anyone was wondering.

Does it matter what we call it? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I was thrilled to see TOM BIHN offer options like the Travel Cubelet and Side Kick! I personally see these offerings, along with the Swift and colors such as Ultraviolet, Alphaviolet, Aubergine and Plum, as options that will appeal more to members of the softer gender who may otherwise opt to carry something else. That decision to otherwise carry something else may come with an element of compromise because they are looking for a certain aesthetic and must compromise on build quality or organization or other element of the TOM BIHN design pattern. The Travel Cubelet and Side Kick thus offer a solution, at least for some, that avoids that compromise. At the same time, they also work for dudes who want to carry them. At least, I love carrying my Mars Red Travel Cubelet!

I hope that makes sense!
    -m

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I love carrying my Mars Red Travel Cubelet!
    Me too. Loving my black TC so much I also now have a Mars Red one too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As this thread is getting off topic already, I think most of the perceptions about totes, square vs curved lines, purses as a feminine bag, etc. are impacted heavily by culture. Here in Europe, Germany specifically as I have the most experience here, it is much more common to see males toting various PLOs. For the styles too, “square” as composed to “curved” again I see the differences prevalent in the cultures leading to changes in perception of what could be considered masculine or feminine. It is not only bags either, as it is quite easy to see differences in American dress footwear vs Italian vs English vs German and so on. Differences in fit, styling, and other various details in suits, shoes, bags, hairstyles are pretty interesting to see.

All that being said, it is important to recognize that what TB designs and sells will not be for everyone and it is ok to look at other companies for certain use cases. No matter how much I love my BB, or maybe because I love it so much, I will never use it to ruck with 50lbs like I would with my Goruck pack. I love the versatility of TB bags because I can use them for meetings, for business, for travel, for EDC. I’m holding out for the next shoulder bag in the 18L-22L size since I already have a MB in the smalle size but would like something larger. If it turns out it is not for me, that’s fine. If it is, even better.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think there has been a direction by Tom Bihn to move towards the female market...
    I know this is getting rather off-topic but I'll agree completely, not so much due to totes or shapes but more so with colors. I've moaned about this in the forums before, but bright and IMO girly colors (i.e. Ultraviolet, Alphaviolet, Island, Viridian) have been going on for a while and have really frustrated me with TB products.

I'm a full-fledged feminine Southern lady, but I'm also an avid hiker, naturalist and outdoor enthusiast who prefers muted, earthy colors. I can't imagine any scenario where I would ever feel comfortable in this.

Frustrated with Tom Bihn-screen-shot-2018-06-13-9-10-13-am-png

I'm nearly given up waiting for TB to consistently offer bags in muted colors, inside and out. @dannyre I feel your pain albeit in a different way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast