Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Frustrated with Tom Bihn

Hi all,
    I discovered TB about 6 months ago after hearing someone mention the bags on a podcast.
    I've since ordered the Synapse 25 for my wife and a pilot for myself.

So why am I frustrated? I'll tell you. The Pilot bag is just too small for me to use as a travel bag and it's just not set up right.
    Since the Pilot was too small I recently ordered the EB. Having just received it I can say that it is just waaayy too big and heavy!
    I carry my macbook pro, ipadpro & pencil, QC20 earphones, passports, wallet, portable battery charger, business cards, adapter pouch, medicine/liquid pound and some other odds and ends.
    I'm going to return the EB for sure but what next? TB just doesn't seen interested in serving the market that wants something larger than a Pilot/Cadet and the enormity and additional weight of the EB.

I came to TB via Timbuktu bags- I really love the TB bags and am holding out for my ellusive bag (return of the Zephyr??). I need a bag that works for me and would really prefer to get it fro TB. I'm just not clear my demographic is going to be addressed.

Give me some hope and guidance here TB folks! Will you throw this dog a bag anytime soon?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have 60 days to return the EB and try out the Stowaway and the Cadet, you also have 60 days to make up you mind about that by trying them out, indoors, packed and re-packet with yours items.

Keep one of them, keep them both or send back both.

TB has one of the best return policies and friendly customer service.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-27-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
    Hi all,
    I discovered TB about 6 months ago after hearing someone mention the bags on a podcast.
    I've since ordered the Synapse 25 for my wife and a pilot for myself.

So why am I frustrated? I'll tell you. The Pilot bag is just too small for me to use as a travel bag and it's just not set up right.
    Since the Pilot was too small I recently ordered the EB. Having just received it I can say that it is just waaayy too big and heavy!
    I carry my macbook pro, ipadpro & pencil, QC20 earphones, passports, wallet, portable battery charger, business cards, adapter pouch, medicine/liquid pound and some other odds and ends.
    I'm going to return the EB for sure but what next? TB just doesn't seen interested in serving the market that wants something larger than a Pilot/Cadet and the enormity and additional weight of the EB.

I came to TB via Timbuktu bags- I really love the TB bags and am holding out for my ellusive bag (return of the Zephyr??). I need a bag that works for me and would really prefer to get it fro TB. I'm just not clear my demographic is going to be addressed.

Give me some hope and guidance here TB folks! Will you throw this dog a bag anytime soon?
    I believe TB is working on a more in-between size business bag, but I don't know if it will be part of the June product release.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I believe TB is working on a more in-between size business bag, but I don't know if it will be part of the June product release.
    I had heard that also and itís sorely needed (and wanted in my case). Hoping itís part of the June release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way people use EDC and travel bags is so variable. What works for one person, won't necessarily work as ideally for another. A bag that works well in one situation, may not function as well in another situation. Maybe there isn't the right TB bag for your particular needs at this point in time. Your listed items appear to match the Pilot's space and organizational attributes. Maybe your ideal bag is a retired bag or one that's not yet been designed or is available from another company.

The Pilot functions (per the product description) as a personal sized carry-on briefcase for travel although it can function as an EDC briefcase and as an ultralight travel bag. I have two Pilots (ballistic and Halcyon) and have successfully used them in all those scenarios. My original Nordic/Solar Pilot is definitely one of my "pry from my cold, dead hands" TB bags.

There's a thread from last month that primarily discusses backpacks that may be of interest to you: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...e-looking.html TB is a small company and designs come and go over time. My favorite and "practically perfect for me" bag turned out to be a bag that was retired before I even knew about TB...the Imago. Others find the styling too feminine with side pockets that aren't practical for today's tech products. Good luck finding your own favorite whether it's TB or not.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also check eBay for an Ego or Id (or Super Ego but that would probably be too big). These are messenger bags that aren't made anymore, but they might work for your purposes. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the quality of the pilot but the layout just doesnít work for me. I love the quality and the whole vibe of the company. I hope that they release something that works for me so that I donít need to look elsewhere.
    Thanks to all for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    The way people use EDC and travel bags is so variable. What works for one person, won't necessarily work as ideally for another. A bag that works well in one situation, may not function as well in another situation. Maybe there isn't the right TB bag for your particular needs at this point in time. Your listed items appear to match the Pilot's space and organizational attributes. Maybe your ideal bag is a retired bag or one that's not yet been designed or is available from another company.

The Pilot functions (per the product description) as a personal sized carry-on briefcase for travel although it can function as an EDC briefcase and as an ultralight travel bag. I have two Pilots (ballistic and Halcyon) and have successfully used them in all those scenarios. My original Nordic/Solar Pilot is definitely one of my "pry from my cold, dead hands" TB bags.

There's a thread from last month that primarily discusses backpacks that may be of interest to you: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...e-looking.html TB is a small company and designs come and go over time. My favorite and "practically perfect for me" bag turned out to be a bag that was retired before I even knew about TB...the Imago. Others find the styling too feminine with side pockets that aren't practical for today's tech products. Good luck finding your own favorite whether it's TB or not.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
    Will you throw this dog a bag anytime soon?
    Have you looked at the Citizen Canine? Smilie

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Gaping hole between Pilot/Cadet/Stowaway at 12-13L and Empire Builder at 22.5L. So I wait. And try out other bags from competitors. But nothing out there is really meeting my needs.
    TB Stuff: Cadet (steel/iberian), Pilot (verde/steel), Synapse 19 (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (New Nordic/NW Sky), Swift (Aubergine/NW Sky), Makers Bag (Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Zest), Aeronaut 45 (Black/Ultraviolet).

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum @dannyre

I can you tell us a bit more about what you carry? From what you have provided, I do not see why everything you need will not fit in a Cadet? I love my Cadet because it can hold my water bottle, laptop, lunchbag and Over Ear Headphones and Umbrella in the main compartment. I can they put even more in the front compartment. Below is a sample picture I took a few years ago with my carry. The only change is that I carry full sized B&W PX headphones and paired down my bluetooth speaker and adapter carry (the 2 top left items).

Here is the link with more info:
    Cadet is right one for me??

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-28-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the cadet may be a good option to try. Here is my cadet with my 15 in macbook pro, 12 in. ipad pro in a leather case, headphones, side effect, finn wallet classic from waterfield designs, cord filled felt pouch, large charging battery, and other tom bihn pouch attached to an o-ring. There was still room for more. The two pictures of the cadet zipped up are filled with the items. They just got out of order
    Frustrated with Tom Bihn-img_2260-2-jpgFrustrated with Tom Bihn-img_3966-2-jpgFrustrated with Tom Bihn-img_5890-2-jpgFrustrated with Tom Bihn-img_8377-2-jpgFrustrated with Tom Bihn-img_9924-2-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 05-28-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again
    My issue with the Pilot is the difficulty I have with the large front pockets and trying to fish things out while trying to negotiate an airport.
    I wanted to try the Cadet but theyíre not in stock.
    With my laptop, iPad, charger and adapter collection itís gets crowded in there. I wouldnít mind a bit more room.
    Seems Iím not alone either

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cadet is a really big bag... it holds an amazing amount of things. My husband had the opposite problem of too much space and recently downsized to a Pilot. Like the others that have commented before me, I’m pretty sure it would hold the carry you have described.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the Cadet. I found it was easier to organize than the Pilot with less dedicated pockets (and I ended up selling my Pilot), and it worked great for me with similar items you mentioned. The only reason I am not currently using it is because I switched to a backpack carry, and my Synapse 25 is now my EDC. I just can't part with the Cadet yet as I may go back to using it at some point!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast