Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Give the "Just For Registered Members" section a shot--I hope you find someone! I'm in the upper midwest, or I'd be glad to bring my A30 and A45 to a local coffee shop for you to take a look Big Grin
    Thank you! I just posted, so we'll see what comes of it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took an A30 and an S19 to Ecuador for a bit over two weeks last fall... here's my packing list post for another point of comparison for you

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml?highlight=

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I took an A30 and an S19 to Ecuador for a bit over two weeks last fall... here's my packing list post for another point of comparison for you

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml?highlight=
    Thanks! That gives me a pretty good idea of the capacity with the Eagle Creek cubes.

I'm trying to envision with my list... the 1 medium and 1 small Eagle Creek would layer like yours in the bottom, the small cube, ebags toiletry kit, and medium slim cube would go on top of that, then my shoes would go in an end cube. I'm not sure where my purse would fit in with that, maybe lay across the top if there's still room? I guess my rain jacket, umbrella and packable tote would go in the other end cube.

I think it actually may all fit in an A30, but I'd probably feel more comfortable with having more room in the A45.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nolegrl; 06-07-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could always get the 30 and another very small bag as a personal item for anything that doesn't quite fit?

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by franzdom View Post
    Could always get the 30 and another very small bag as a personal item for anything that doesn't quite fit?
    I always have another personal item bag with me, but on this last trip, it was completely full with airplane stuff for the long flight, so I really didn't have enough room to transfer anything. It was a messenger bag though, so the usable interior space wasn't as much as a backpack. I usually love backpacks as personal items, but I didn't want to juggle 2 backpacks which is why I opted for the shoulder bag instead.

How did you handle the s19 and A30?

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, you had a Pilot as a personal item IIRC?
    I am going to Europe end of next week for a fairly long trip, checking in a roller and taking a Pilot & Sidekick for personal items and around town use.

You may have me confused, I haven't even seen an A30 or an S19. When the color I like is available I will be picking up a backpack, I think S19 is the perfect capacity but I am a big guy so it may end up being an S25. As for colors should have grabbed them when they were available a couple weeks ago, that is definitely one thing I have learned about TB, inventory is very fluid. I think I want Cloud/Island 525.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, you had a Pilot as a personal item IIRC?
    I am going to Europe end of next week for a fairly long trip, checking in a roller and taking a Pilot & Sidekick for personal items and around town use.

You may have me confused, I haven't even seen an A30 or an S19. When the color I like is available I will be picking up a backpack, I think S19 is the perfect capacity but I am a big guy so it may end up being an S25. As for colors should have grabbed them when they were available a couple weeks ago, that is definitely one thing I have learned about TB, inventory is very fluid. I think I want Cloud/Island 525.
    Ah, so sorry, I thought you were the person that had posted about their trip with the A30 and S19.

I actually ended up returning the pilot and got an osprey ozone courier bag. I picked it up last minute and it had more room than the pilot and I ended up needing that extra space. It unfortunately became a daypack to hold overnight gear when we decided to go to Venice and explore before checking into our hotel. I'm not sure if the pilot would have been big enough for an overnight, so the extra space came in handy. Next time I'm also bringing along a packable backpack so I won't need to worry about it. The Daylight looks nice, but I'm not sure how it would feel after carrying roughly 7lbs of stuff while walking 5 miles in the heat.

Yes, I see what you mean about the colors, there are a few color options I like for the Aeronaut but they are out of stock.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am carrying a very lightweight backpack in the Pilot for anything we may pick up in shops like drinks and snacks to take back to our rooms. It stuffs itself into a tiny ball. My roller is a new Osprey, very nice btw.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am carrying a very lightweight backpack in the Pilot for anything we may pick up in shops like drinks and snacks to take back to our rooms. It stuffs itself into a tiny ball. My roller is a new Osprey, very nice btw.
    Ah, I have a small packable bag like that but forgot to bring it on my trip. Offtopic, but is the roller the osprey ozone or something else? I'm also looking for a different roller for trips where I really need the extra space. But the majority of my travel will be a backpack suitcase and a personal item bag.

Last edited by nolegrl; 06-07-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I'm not sure I follow exactly...but you're saying the volume of the bag was tested to be at a max of 40l and that's why they label it as such?
    Yes, the test essentially mimics a soft packing method. Theoretically, all 40L bags should have a similar capacity when soft packed, but when you consider organization, or include rigid items like laptops, a more square bag will be easier to pack full, as the rounding of corners requires widening the bag dimensions to maintain the same capacity. I recall posts on the forum that the 23L Western Flyer seemed roomier than the 25L Synapse for packing common travel items, largely due to the shape of the bag.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I have a small packable bag like that but forgot to bring it on my trip. Offtopic, but is the roller the osprey ozone or something else? I'm also looking for a different roller for trips where I really need the extra space. But the majority of my travel will be a backpack suitcase and a personal item bag.

The roller is new it's called Shuttle.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you handle the s19 and A30?

When I had to walk long distances, I had the A30 in backpack mode and carried the S19 by the straps. For short walks, I reversed the carry. A little awkward, but doable.
    I had wanted the S19 for under the seat in front of me on the plane and for when we went on hikes... since then, I've acquired an LLBean packable backpack that I prefer in style to the packable TB ones and it's lighter/squishier than my S19, which I use as an EDC...
    So if I were to do it again, I'd carry the A30 in backpack mode most of the time and store the packable backpack in there... and I'd wear a Side Kick cross body under the A30 straps for the easy access airplane stuff.
    After every trip that is new/different, I go back to my packing list (I keep them in Evernote) and annotate what was not needed/never used, what I could extra of, etc.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    When I had to walk long distances, I had the A30 in backpack mode and carried the S19 by the straps. For short walks, I reversed the carry. A little awkward, but doable.
    I had wanted the S19 for under the seat in front of me on the plane and for when we went on hikes... since then, I've acquired an LLBean packable backpack that I prefer in style to the packable TB ones and it's lighter/squishier than my S19, which I use as an EDC...
    So if I were to do it again, I'd carry the A30 in backpack mode most of the time and store the packable backpack in there... and I'd wear a Side Kick cross body under the A30 straps for the easy access airplane stuff.
    After every trip that is new/different, I go back to my packing list (I keep them in Evernote) and annotate what was not needed/never used, what I could extra of, etc.
    Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. Thats how I carried a packable backpack and backpack as well, but it wasn't the most comfortable for me.

I really wish Tom Bihn (or really any reputable company) made a durable duffle type bag that was the size of a briefcase or messenger. It looks like luggage companies call it a "boarding bag".

To me, messengers are too restrictive since they only have half the usable space of a backpack and backpacks usually require two straps. Duffles are typically too unstructured and huge, but Tom Bihn seems to have a knack for making bags with good organization so I'm sure he can think of something that wouldn't take away the space that a duffle allows yet give some structure to a big a empty space.

The pilot I had tried was just a bit too restrictive for me, I realized I needed more open space in the main compartment like a backpack.

Last edited by nolegrl; 06-07-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I pulled the trigger. I got an email saying the padded hip belt and frames were ready for the aeronauts and the navy color I wanted in the 45 came back in stock, so I grabbed it all. My wallet hates me right now, but hopefully I'm happy with everything.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love to see an example of how you do this. I have a packing list and make notes but don’t find it easy to pick up these notes when next I pack...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast