Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Will an Aeronaut 30 or 45 fit all my stuff?

    I just recently came back from an 8 day trip to Italy and was initially planning to take my farpoint 40 backpack. Unfortunately, the stuff I brought just barely fit in it so I decided to take a rollerbag instead. That was a mistake because roller bags are a pita in Italy. So I'm looking for a bag that would work better for longer trips and is still carry-on for both US and international travel. Since the aeronaut is square shaped, I'm thinking it would hold more than my farpoint 40 that is egg shaped.

    This is what I brought with me, what bag would be best and allow a little more wiggle room? I did use compression packing cubes for the clothes. I had a separate shoulder bag for my electronics. I plan to wear the bag exclusively as a backpack.

    5 cotton shirts
    1 pj shirt
    1 pj shorts
    1 cotton pant
    2 capris
    1 short
    1 jean
    1 dress
    1 cardigan
    1 rain jacket
    ebags pack it flat toiletry kit (toothbrush, deodorant, bar soap, 10 pairs of contacts)
    1 hair towel
    1 bathing suit
    8 socks and underwear
    1 hairbrush
    1 round brush
    1 small cosmetic bag
    311 liquids bag
    1 small purse
    1 small umbrella
    1 packable tote bag
    1 flip flops
    1 dress flats

    All above fit in: 1 medium eagle Creek compression packing cube, 1 small eagle Creek compression packing cube, 1 small Ebags packing cube, 1 slim ebags packing cube, ebags pack it flat toiletry kit. The purse, shoes, jeans, rain jacket, tote, and umbrella were loose in the bag.
    Last edited by nolegrl; 06-05-2018 at 08:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,337
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Will an Aeronaut 30 or 45 fit all my stuff?

    I think the A45 will hold all that you need with room to spare!

    I have a Farpoint 40 S/M which is actually 38L. I have been frustrated with my F40 because I don't feel like it holds very much, probably because of the layout of the compartments: there is an awkward space at the foot of the main compartment, and the laptop/secondary compartment is thin and I find it hard to make the most of it. To be fair my packing cube collection has grown a lot and I might be able to make a better go of the main space now, but I still don't like the layout.

    I don't have an A45 but I have the 36L Tom Bihn Medium Road Duffel which has a similar U-shaped opening and three-compartment layout. I find it's really easy to make the most of the space, and the side pockets are much larger than you think they'll be. Just last week I packed enough for three people for four nights in the Road Duffel (me and two kids). I only had that and my handbag (the TB Parental Unit) as I was traveling by bus. The A45 holds 9 more liters which would have made last week's trip possible even in winter.

    Edited to add post from last week with pic of everything I fit in the MRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Packing for my upcoming trip. 4 nights, me and two kids, one Medium Road Duffel. The weather here lately is chilly in the morning, hot in the afternoon, so it has been challenging to get it all into one bag (with swimming stuff!). My Parental Unit will carry my iPad Mini and knitting, as well as my raincoat.



    One PCSB per person for clothes, Lifeventure toiletry bag, Second Aid Kit for travel meds, Eagle Creek half specter for my swimming stuff and sleep shirt, 3DOC for chargers and my little white noise machine. Travel trays in the lid pocket. Diapers are packed in all the gaps. A book and journal on top (didn't want to block the view of the PCSBs so they aren't pictured). Nearly ready to go!
    Last edited by Cristina; 06-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! That was my issue with the farpoint as well, everything had settled at the middle/top of the bag and the bottom seemed like it didn't have anything in it despite me pushing stuff down. It's definitely not an even distribution of 40l. Honestly, I think it would have worked well if it wasn't for my shoes. I also didn't want my bag to be totally stuffed before leaving, that makes it seem like I brought too much. But damn is that bag comfortable on your back. The 17lbs of stuff I had in there felt like nothing.

    The aeronaut seems like it would work great with my shoes in the side pockets and my 311 bag on top and my clothes and other loose items in the main compartment.

  4. #4
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,337
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Thank you! That was my issue with the farpoint as well, everything had settled at the middle/top of the bag and the bottom seemed like it didn't have anything in it despite me pushing stuff down. It's definitely not an even distribution of 40l. Honestly, I think it would have worked well if it wasn't for my shoes. I also didn't want my bag to be totally stuffed before leaving, that makes it seem like I brought too much. But damn is that bag comfortable on your back. The 17lbs of stuff I had in there felt like nothing.

    The aeronaut seems like it would work great with my shoes in the side pockets and my 311 bag on top and my clothes and other loose items in the main compartment.
    Yes! It was the amazing Osprey harness that sold me on the F40. TB are working on an optional internal frame sheet for the A45, probably like the one for the Synapse 25. The next product release is supposed to be sometime this month, so stay tuned, it might be there (but we don't know).

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yes! It was the amazing Osprey harness that sold me on the F40. TB are working on an optional internal frame sheet for the A45, probably like the one for the Synapse 25. The next product release is supposed to be sometime this month, so stay tuned, it might be there (but we don't know).
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'll wait on ordering to see if they release it.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    496
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking, your list doesn't seem like it would be a squeeze for a 40L bag, but as I am unfamiliar with farpoint it could be just bad designing. Your list seems like it would fit in an A30, but if you feel more comfortable with having the extra space, go for an A45. I traveled with an osprey porter 30 for 5 weeks in Europe two years ago and feel confident all that would have fit in a synapse 25 easily, with room to spare as TBs are just better designed bags.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I was just thinking, your list doesn't seem like it would be a squeeze for a 40L bag, but as I am unfamiliar with farpoint it could be just bad designing. Your list seems like it would fit in an A30, but if you feel more comfortable with having the extra space, go for an A45. I traveled with an osprey porter 30 for 5 weeks in Europe two years ago and feel confident all that would have fit in a synapse 25 easily, with room to spare as TBs are just better designed bags.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    It's the bag design. It's shaped like an egg, so a lot of the packing space is lost when using square packing cubes. I think it would have fit a 40l square bag with no issue. I'm also not a huge fan of packing things along the sides, so it's possible I missed that space when packing the farpoint and that's considered part of the 40l capacity. Also, the bottom of the bag doesn't really have any usable space unless it's squishable and thin so anything you try to pack in gets pushed towards the middle when you close the bag which contributes to the bag being middle and top heavy. I figured I'll try out the Aeronaut 45 and if it's too big, I may downsize to the 30. This trip was definitely the longest I've been on and it was during summer. I imagine any winter travel will require much more space.

    For reference, here is the farpoint (technically the Fairview - the "women's farpoint") empty and with a medium packed compression cube:


    Last edited by nolegrl; 06-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,979
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think sizing a soft-sided bag is really hard. The Tom Bihn company struggles with it too; they've recently developed a more accurate measure and re-labeled at least one of their backpacks with a new volume. Of all of their bags that I have, I'd say the Aeronauts (and the now-retired Night Flight Travel Duffel), are shaped so that they consistently fit far more than you'd expect based on the dimensions. Hope the A30 or A45 works for you!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Share
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    324
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dimensions are not used to measure the bag volume, the ISO test involves filling the bag 1" dia. balls, and from that the volume is calculated. I don't know what the specs of the test are, but presumably there is some capacity to stuff a soft bag to get the higher capacity measurement, and is intended to be relatively consistent between bags.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    The dimensions are not used to measure the bag volume, the ISO test involves filling the bag 1" dia. balls, and from that the volume is calculated. I don't know what the specs of the test are, but presumably there is some capacity to stuff a soft bag to get the higher capacity measurement, and is intended to be relatively consistent between bags.
    I'm not sure I follow exactly...but you're saying the volume of the bag was tested to be at a max of 40l and that's why they label it as such? It's possible that farpoint has 40l of capacity and I just can't visualize packing it as well because of the soft sides. I fill up the bottom of the bag first and then try and stack, but the stacking makes me feel like I'm already overfilling it somewhat. It doesn't help that the majority of my stuff was in medium packing cubes and that takes up most of the bag.

    I think the more structured material and square shape of the Aeronaut will be better for me because it's easier to pack it with packing cubes.

  11. #11
    Forum Member kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    638
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and pulled my packing list from my very first trip with my A30 to see how it compares with yours, @nolegrl. I think they're roughly comparable because it seems like I had fewer clothes, but my electronics bag fit into the A30 along with everything else when I wanted to.

    I thought I would post mine here, in case it helps with your decision. (Btw, grand total was a bit over 8kg and it was comfortable to wear the bag in transit.)

    Main A30 pocket had:
    Large EC cube:
    - Lightweight tank
    - 2 t-shirts (1 merino, 1 cotton)
    - Maxi dress
    - Jersey skirt
    - Leggings
    - Cardigan (merino)
    - Lightweight button down shirt with roll up sleeves

    Small EC cube:
    - Tank and light shorts for sleeping
    - 2 camis
    - Undies x5/Bra x1
    - Bathing suit and swim cap

    Size 1 TSS:
    - Apple charger w/ US and EU plugs
    - Headlamp
    - Charging cord for iPhone
    - Mini flashligt
    - 12v adapter
    - various mini 'biners and gear ties
    - FitBit charger
    - Backup battery pack + cord
    - Pouch w/ earbuds

    PCSB (carried in the A30 and pulled out as needed):
    - iPhone
    - Medium DOP w/ travel necessities like a mini towel, spork, emergency whistle, duct tape, eye mask, ear plugs, etc. and paper copies of important docs.
    - Tissues
    - Ultralight picnic blanket
    - Bandaids/neosporin in case
    - P&S camera w/ extra SD card and battery
    - Roll-up shopping bag
    - Collapsing water bottle
    - Q-kit (empty, to be used for coins)
    - Folding sunglasses in case
    - Kindle in sleeve
    - Passport in case
    - COW w/ wallet stuff
    - Maps

    Then, the other pockets had:
    A30's right pocket:
    - Rain shell (Ranger rolled!)
    - Fouta towel (also Ranger rolled)
    - Shoes x2: Flipflops and Iguaneyes

    A30's left pocket:
    - Fabric 3DOC with makeup
    - Spiff Kit with toiletries
    - Glasses in hard case

    ETA: forgot I had my DLBP on the flat bottom in the main compartment (not that it added much to volume or weight)
    Last edited by kathryn; 06-06-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I went back and pulled my packing list from my very first trip with my A30 to see how it compares with yours, @nolegrl. I think they're roughly comparable because it seems like I had fewer clothes, but my electronics bag fit into the A30 along with everything else when I wanted to.

    I thought I would post mine here, in case it helps with your decision. (Btw, grand total was a bit over 8kg and it was comfortable to wear the bag in transit.)

    Main A30 pocket had:
    Large EC cube:
    - Lightweight tank
    - 2 t-shirts (1 merino, 1 cotton)
    - Maxi dress
    - Jersey skirt
    - Leggings
    - Cardigan (merino)
    - Lightweight button down shirt with roll up sleeves

    Small EC cube:
    - Tank and light shorts for sleeping
    - 2 camis
    - Undies x5/Bra x1
    - Bathing suit and swim cap

    Size 1 TSS:
    - Apple charger w/ US and EU plugs
    - Headlamp
    - Charging cord for iPhone
    - Mini flashligt
    - 12v adapter
    - various mini 'biners and gear ties
    - FitBit charger
    - Backup battery pack + cord
    - Pouch w/ earbuds

    PCSB (carried in the A30 and pulled out as needed):
    - iPhone
    - Medium DOP w/ travel necessities like a mini towel, spork, emergency whistle, duct tape, eye mask, ear plugs, etc. and paper copies of important docs.
    - Tissues
    - Ultralight picnic blanket
    - Bandaids/neosporin in case
    - P&S camera w/ extra SD card and battery
    - Roll-up shopping bag
    - Collapsing water bottle
    - Q-kit (empty, to be used for coins)
    - Folding sunglasses in case
    - Kindle in sleeve
    - Passport in case
    - COW w/ wallet stuff
    - Maps

    Then, the other pockets had:
    A30's right pocket:
    - Rain shell (Ranger rolled!)
    - Fouta towel (also Ranger rolled)
    - Shoes x2: Flipflops and Iguaneyes

    A30's left pocket:
    - Fabric 3DOC with makeup
    - Spiff Kit with toiletries
    - Glasses in hard case

    ETA: forgot I had my DLBP on the flat bottom in the main compartment (not that it added much to volume or weight)
    Wow that's a lot of stuff! Very comparable to my list. Did you have any room left in the bag after packing? I always like a little wiggle room before leaving on a trip so I can fit souvenirs or additional clothing I may acquire on a trip.

    I really wish I could see them in person before ordering, that would probably help with getting an idea on the sizes.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Forum Member kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    638
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Wow that's a lot of stuff! Very comparable to my list. Did you have any room left in the bag after packing? I always like a little wiggle room before leaving on a trip so I can fit souvenirs or additional clothing I may acquire on a trip.
    There was not much wiggle room. I did have space inside for the big cardigan and scarf I wore in transit--cold on planes/hot in airports, so I wear layers.

    On the way home, I carried the DLBP separately from the A30 to make room for souvenirs. That's my usual strategy (one bag on the way there, two bags on the way home )

    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I really wish I could see them in person before ordering, that would probably help with getting an idea on the sizes.
    Not sure where you live, but there are forum members scattered across the globe. Many would be happy to do a show-and-tell for a fellow forum member who lives nearby.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    There was not much wiggle room. I did have space inside for the big cardigan and scarf I wore in transit--cold on planes/hot in airports, so I wear layers.

    On the way home, I carried the DLBP separately from the A30 to make room for souvenirs. That's my usual strategy (one bag on the way there, two bags on the way home )



    Not sure where you live, but there are forum members scattered across the globe. Many would be happy to do a show-and-tell for a fellow forum member who lives nearby.
    Ah, that makes sense with the 1 bag in, 2 bags out. I'm in Tampa, FL. Where would I post a request for a meetup? That sounds like a good idea assuming it can be done Craiglist style for safety (meet in a public place away from personal cars during daylight hours).

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Forum Member kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    638
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Where would I post a request for a meetup?
    Give the "Just For Registered Members" section a shot--I hope you find someone! I'm in the upper midwest, or I'd be glad to bring my A30 and A45 to a local coffee shop for you to take a look
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •