Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too excited to not share

I just placed my first Tom Bihns order! I ordered the A30, S19, and S25 (with the intention of returning two after I figure out which fits my needs best). I had a secondhand S25 as my one bag for a 3-week long trip to Costa Rica two summer ago. The organization of it spoiled me for any other bag. I tried some Osprey Farpoint/Fairview bags and they just looked so backpacker-ish. I sold my first S25 off because the shoulder straps were sitting too wide and digging into my shoulder joints. I'm hoping that getting it in halcyon versus ballistic will magically fix this problem, since I'm not sure if the S19 or S30 will fit what I want to pack. I know that logic probably is insane, but I just love the S25 so much and I don't think the S19 is big enough for one bag travel. Maybe the A30 will solve my problems... Anyway I know my credit card is cringing right now.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your first order, nice choices. I actually have all of the bags you ordered (in Halcyon) and they are all wonderful. I use the S19 in my EDC rotation and for hiking. I have one-bagged it with the S25 and it is perfect for that. I use the A30 for travel when I am going to use the bag as a "dresser" or if I am carrying more clothes. My favorite travel bag and the most comfortable to carry is the Smart Alec which is unfortunately retired. For reference, I am a 5'5" female of average build. That being said, I think the S19 & S25 frame sheets are game changers and I look forward to the release of the one for the A30.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the S19 and A30 as @AmyG does...
    Definitely try the frame sheets... keep the bags hiked up high on your back and use the sternum straps to keep the shoulder straps situated comfortably
    Good luck and let us know which one(s) you choose!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new order!

We want to know all about your reaction when it comes.

You should have received the package tracking number, by now, and it should be on its way very soon.

It is wonderful to share your excitement on that thread and with other forum members here: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-syndrome.html

See, you are in good company! Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all your responses! The bags are supposed to arrive today!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my bags came when they were supposed to, which was very nice. The Synapse 19, like I feared, was far too small. The Synapse 25, while it could have fit nearly everything I wanted, did not fit my frame well. The Aeronaut 30 was the best of the 3. I'm hoping that the straps on the A30 lose some of their firmness in my travels. I'm traveling on super budget airlines on my upcoming trip, so having one small bag is important. I want it to be the A30 so bad.

Unfortunately, it also does not fit my frame perfectly either. I know this isn't the fault of Tom Bihn. My hip crest is ridiculously high proportionally to the length of my torso. I am 5' 5" and weigh 150, but from top of hips to shoulders is only 14" (my best guestimate as I was measuring myself). That puts me in super-petite lady sizes or kid sizes!

I tried finding another bag that would fit in WOW airlines 17x13x10" restrictions. No dice... technically the A30 shouldn't either, but if I leave one of the end compartments empty, it seems like it will. Please reassure me that the A30 is the bag of my dreams and is the best choice...

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The straps definitely loosen up with time. I didn't love carrying my A45 at first because the straps felt so stuff, but once I had a full ~15lb load on there and walked around for a while, they felt fine
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoMcFeistyPants View Post
    The Aeronaut 30 was the best of the 3. I'm hoping that the straps on the A30 lose some of their firmness in my travels. I want it to be the A30 so bad.

Unfortunately, it also does not fit my frame perfectly either. My hip crest is ridiculously high proportionally to the length of my torso. I am 5' 5" and weigh 150, but from top of hips to shoulders is only 14" (my best guestimate as I was measuring myself). That puts me in super-petite lady sizes or kid sizes!

Please reassure me that the A30 is the bag of my dreams and is the best choice...
    It would be nice if we could magically make it fit, but ultimately that's a choice you must make for yourself. The bags don't work for everyone, and from your analysis, it sounds like you already know the answer.
    The only suggestion that I'd make, however, is to play with the strap's adjustment for a bit, using a hip belt if possible (perhaps the old jury rigged solution---a synapse hip belt, which hits higher) to see if you can get a fully packed bag to sit better on your body. Watch some online videos to ensure you understand the process and know how it should sit on you.
    Good luck.

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm shorter than you (just by 2 inches!) but also have that short torso thing going on. I have an A30 which I used for a road trip so it spent most of the time carried as a duffel bag. It's packed right now for a two week trip to Europe and will be used in full backpack mode. I ordered the new hip belt but not the frame because of your same dilemma - budget airlines with smaller bag sizes where you want to be able to squeeze it into the bag sizer if required. I've flown on WOW several times and never seen anyone told to put their bag in the sizer but you never know!

I had to really play with the straps on the A30 to get the bag situated right and with the addition of the hip belt I find it to be super comfortable when fully packed (are you testing the bag fully packed? it makes a big difference). Also make sure the sternum strap is sitting where it should be (yes, more fiddling with straps) - I find I like the strap a bit snug. In the past I carried an Osprey Farpoint 40 in a S/M size which was a great bag also after numerous strap adjustments - barely felt like it was there, but it's too big for the budget airlines and lacks some of the organization that I love in the TB bags. I find the A30 to be the Mary Poppins bag - you won't believe how much fits in there!