1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who owns a western flyer?

Decided to pick one of these up yesterday. Anyone flown with one before? can it fit under your seat as a carry on?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great choice! I think the WF is one of the best bags in the Bihn lineup.

It doesn’t get too heavy even when full. The sections are deep enough for shoes, suites and everything else I need. My 13” computer fits in the backpack strap pocket.

I have never been on a flight where it didn’t fit under the seat.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two. One in black halcyon/island and one in aubergine/wasabi. I do (did) most of my flying in northern Europe. If fits under the seat in front of you but also there are often a space in the bins for it. Where rollerbags doesnt fit. I posted pictures on the forum of the wf next to a small shop bag under the seat.
    Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."-C.S. Lewis

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fly with it all the time.

It most cases it can fit under the seat depending on how full and if there are AV boxes or some of the narrow window seat areas on regional planes. You should never have a problem with it as a carry on and in most cases it can pass as a personal item.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It easily fits lying on its back under a seat, but if it’s not too heavily filled, I’ve also fitted it sitting on its side so there’s plenty of room either side for your feet.
    Love the WF especially coupled with a Side Effect clipped with carabiners to the seat back.Who owns a western flyer?-b1109bce-e987-4e9c-8ba3-d76c3cee39a7-jpg
    You can just see the WF on its back in this picture.
    Cadet(EDC), Large Café Bag, WesternFlyer w. Packing cubes, Side Effect, Small Travel Tray, Clear Organiser Wallet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the time for more than 4 years now, I don't think it has ever been in an overhead bin.

From a trip to Madrid last year, 3D Mesh Cube is clipped to the seatback for inflight accessories, WF is on the floor below. Granted, this was just a long weekend trip, so it looks small.

Who owns a western flyer?-img_4351-jpg

This was underseat for my first flight with it 4 years ago. hundreds of thousands of miles, and it's hardly aged at all.

Who owns a western flyer?-5826d1395535456-western-flyer-part-ii-conference-img_5027-jpg-jpg

My original review and photos from that trip are here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    easily fits under the seat in front unless you are lucky enough to sit in an aisle seat with an entertainment box taking part of the space. Fits nicely behind your legs after take off it you like more leg room. If I recall correctly, I have never been on a flight with it where there has not been space in the regular overhead bins for the WF including the CRJ200. It will not fit in the itty bitty bins in first class on one side of some of the CRJs.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Western Flyer. It was my first piece of TB luggage. It fits easily underneath the seat and I can usually fit another bag with it, too. I can use my WF for up to 5 days of travel. And I love how I can fit a laptop in it if I need to. It is my personal favorite luggage piece.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel weekly with my Western Flyer and often fly in ERJ's and CRJ's. The WF easily fits under the seat in front of me and as others have mentioned it fits in all overheads easily. It is by far my favorite TB travel bag for trips around 3-4 days. Anything longer and I move to the A45 but much prefer using my WF. I also pack a laptop and other tech gadgets and it swallows everything easily.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WF is also a great bag for packing a bag within a bag so you can pull out something smaller for the plane but still be organized. I’ve done that with a packing cube backpack, daylight briefcase, or small cafe bag. That also gives you a smaller bag for during the day at your destination.