Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's in your Coffee Travel Kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    Do any coffee people have recommendations for a filter to sit on top of a cup?

I wasnít sure what to buy ó or whether some of the filters require paper filters inside them.

Thanks
    I prefer paper filters when I do drip (personal preference) you can either use some like these with #2 cone filters (you can get different colors):
    JYPC Collapsible Coffee Silicone Filter for Camping,Hiking Backpacking Outdoor Use (Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ARQION6..._wdWkBbBW9TMFG

Or this one has a mesh built in:
    Sea to Summit X-Brew Coffee Dripper - Collapsible POUR Over Coffee Filter - Dishwasher Safe, Pacific Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0XET3V..._5cWkBbSV7M0T0

I gave up on immersion coils. I just get hot water from the coffee pot or a hot water dispenser.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came from a Haro Mini Mill, so the difference was much starker than what youíd notice coming from those. But I was shocked by how fast and reliable it is. And that brought out so much more sweetness / nuance in my brews. I canít say whether itís a worthy enough upgrade over what youíve got, but if youíre into coffee, I canít imagine youíd regret the purchase if itís in your budget.

Forum Member
    Melbourne, AU
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyWeeks View Post
    So, my Porlex ... has been relegated to my travel kit.
    Likewise since I got a Comandante grinder, my Porlex is also in my travel kit. Though if going on a holiday where I am not moving accommodation much/at all, I will probably bring the Comandante instead.

If I bring my Aeropress, then I'll pack the Porlex since it fits nicely inside to save space.

Otherwise my preferred brew method is v60 using a Tetra Drip, which is made up of 3 pieces so packs flat.

I also have a Rivers Demita Wallmug as well as the separate coffee dripper, which packs nicely inside the cup.

I usually use a size 2? stuff sack for the grinder/aeropress and the bag of beans (if it fits). If using the Rivers cup it'll just go in my bag as-is. I also have my Acaia Lunar weighing scales (with tetra drip and filter papers) packed in a cubelet - this was before I found out Acaia released their own carry case for the Lunar...

Not used for travel but I recently got a Sttoke reusable coffee cup for work. Having tried a number of other brands I think this is the best so far (not affiliated in any way).

Forum Member
    Twin Cities Burbclave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came from a Haro Mini Mill
    I had one of those!

I gave it away to a friend on FB, and she uses it as HER travel grinder. :-)

I did see some neat hacks how to improve it, though. One guy layered scotch tape around the part that holds the burrs, until the part fit tightly (with no play) inside the housing. The burrs being held solidly in place resulted in a much more consistent grind.

Forum Member
    Twin Cities Burbclave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Comandante looks great!

I also have my Acaia Lunar weighing scales (with tetra drip and filter papers) packed in a cubelet - this was before I found out Acaia released their own carry case for the Lunar...
    I have the Acaia Pearl. I'm not sure I'd ever want to travel with it, unless I were going to some coffee event or something. Thus far, I've always just pre-weighed my beans into individual portions before I left, which I suppose isn't a very earth-friendly plastic use. Wonder if it will fit in a cubelet, though? It's a bigger scale than the Lunar. (Hey, you never know. And I've got a cubelet arriving today, so I can test it).

How do you heat water when traveling?

Edited: No way will the Pearl fit in a cubelet. The scale is much too big. :-)
    Last edited by CathyWeeks; 06-21-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Twin Cities Burbclave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any coffee people have recommendations for a filter to sit on top of a cup? Or an immersion heater to buy?
    I really not in a position to recommend a pour over brewer for travel, as I mostly brew with immersion brewing methods. I do have a v60 for use in the office (when I'm working in an office that is - I've been working out of my home for several years now), but it's big, and heavy (porcelain), and I wouldn't want to travel with it.

I have this immersion heater though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0Q84BR/

It's small and cheap, and as far as I can tell, those are the only good things about it. It took almost 10 minutes to bring 16 ounces of tap-cold water to a boil, and I had to stand there holding it the whole time as the little hook/bracket thing didn't fit on the edge of the measuring cup I was using. Immersion heaters in general are also super finicky (you MUST have it immersed when you plug it in, and you must keep it immersed the whole time, and unplug it while still immersed, and then wait 20-30 seconds before unplugging it. Otherwise, it shorts out and is ruined. So, that's why I'm looking at collapsible or small kettles instead.
    Last edited by CathyWeeks; 06-21-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sea to Summit X-Brew fits nicely in the accessory pocket of the carry case for the Acaia Lunar scale. I'm still undecided on it as a brewing method though, but thats mainly because it's a pain to clean the used grounds from it (the grounds are a bit wet for just tipping into a bin) ..... I may try it with a filter paper, but I was trying to get away from single-use items.

I agree that the Made by Knock Aergrind is an excellent grinder. It's very smooth to turn the crank compared to my old Porlex, so I'm done grinding in half the time What's in your Coffee Travel Kit?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any coffee people have recommendations for a filter to sit on top of a cup? Or an immersion heater to buy?

Iíd thought about adding those to make coffee in a hotel room. (And to justify ridiculously expensive cups that I bought for travel.)

I wasnít sure what to buy ó or whether some of the filters require paper filters inside them.

Thanks
    The Kalita Wave I mentioned above has its own filters, they sell them (and the wave itself) on amzn. Not sure about other brands but I assume they either use std filters or proprietary (like the kalita).

California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many cool collapsible coffee pour over contraptions. I like the one by snowpeak. For me, flat pack or small foot print is the key.
    I now travel with this small kit: https://imgur.com/gallery/dVDXK0q
    Fit in my Aeronaut 30 a treat.
    Pack List:
    - Snow Peak 300ml Titanium Cup (with a koozie over it so I can hold it)
    - Aeropress
    - Stainless Steel Able Filter
    - Preground coffee in a medicine bottle (fits in Aeropress)
    - Adjustable Table Spoon (measure and stir)
    - Lewis & Clark Dual Voltage Immersion Water Heater
    - a small square of parchment paper (in case I need to refill my coffee holder)
    - XS eagle creek packit cube
    - Small dice bag that put the Aeropress into so that it doesn't rattle against the cup.

Everything fits in and I still have room to throw in a spork.
    I also have traveled with a small .5L dual voltage kettle, porlex grinder, and the aeropress, but usually I'm trying to travel kind of light. So, immersion heater and preground coffee does the trick. I've also used just a french press mug, but I found the aeropress easier to clean when on the road. Less accidental coffee grounds down the bathroom sink.
    Last edited by babblinbeanz; 08-05-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo!

Forum Member
    Melbourne, AU
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyWeeks View Post

How do you heat water when traveling?

Edited: No way will the Pearl fit in a cubelet. The scale is much too big. :-)
    Late reply! Whatever our accommodation I usually have access to a kettle when travelling.

Not sure you would bring the Pearl for travel, but if you do you might be able to use the Side Kick? And fit all your other coffee gear along with it?

Forum Member
    Sa Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it fits in a Tom Bihn Travel Stuff Sack, size 4 (large), in Iberian. I have an Aeropress and measuring scoop with a Kaffeologie S filter (reusable stainless steel, the flavor of french press without the grounds in your coffee), a cheap immersion heater like yours, and a Hario MSS-1DTB Mini Mill Plus Hand Coffee Grinder. My beans are in a bag, or perhaps in a mason jar.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's in your Coffee Travel Kit?-c6971866-9701-4b68-ba7d-bc9241715de7-jpeg

Nespresso Essenza Mini goes with me whenever possible. Pelican hardshell camera case.

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's in your Coffee Travel Kit?

I havenít received it yet, but I am very eager to try a Kickstarter item - Pourigami - I recently ordered from a Seattle based company, Miir. I have several of their cups and water bottles, and the quality is very good.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ter?ref=15fahf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are battery operated coffee press available in the market. I got one from online.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same immersion boiler, but I just use Starbucks Via. It's the best instant coffee you'll get and while it's not like a french press, it's still great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast