Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than carry one more set of clothes that in most cases you won't need, just get some travel-sized single-use tide packs. If you have an extra unplanned night, wash one day's worth of stuff in the sink and towel/air dry it.

Alaska
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    Rather than carry one more set of clothes that in most cases you won't need, just get some travel-sized single-use tide packs. If you have an extra unplanned night, wash one day's worth of stuff in the sink and towel/air dry it.
    Yeah, I get that in theory, but when I've tried that, my clothes haven't dried all the way overnight. Plus, I'm not always staying somewhere I can sleep nakeys while my clothes dry. Thanks for the advice, though!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the same problem with clothes not drying completely if it was a humid area. If you have access to a blow dryer you can finish drying the clothes with it in a few minutes.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northerngypsy View Post
    Yeah, I get that in theory, but when I've tried that, my clothes haven't dried all the way overnight. Plus, I'm not always staying somewhere I can sleep nakeys while my clothes dry. Thanks for the advice, though!
    So, two things.

1) after you rinse and wring the clothes, lay a towel out flat and then place the clothing flat on top of the towel, roll the towel up tight and wring it out. This will draw a ton of moisture out, allowing them to dry much faster.

2) if they're not dry in the morning, just put em on damp like in the army. It sucks at first but body heat does a pretty good job of finishing the drying pretty quickly.

3) when I have to do this, it's generally me pulling something out of the dirty laundry and washing it rather than just washing what I happened to be wearing that day. I don't travel with just one set of clothing (usually). Smilie

That said, it's truly not for everyone, but I've only gotten stranded twice in the last 250k miles, so dealing with slightly damp underwear is a lot better in my book than lugging one extra set of clothes on every trip.

There are literally a million things I could bring along with me just in case, and if I do need them on a particular trip and don't have them with me it's likely to be a pain to detour and get them, but still on net, it's best to consider how likely the need for something is and weight it accordingly.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing with sink washing obviously, is choice of fabric. Synthetics and merino wool generally dry faster than cotton, jeans, etc. - just be gentle with the wool, roll but don't twist too hard.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northerngypsy View Post
    I probably wouldn't travel with less than three sets of clothes, in which case your problem is avoided; wash a set each evening before you go to bed, and they should be dry by the next morning, but if not, you still have other clean clothes. And definitely look into clothing from other fabrics that dry faster...Jeans take forever to air dry.

Alaska
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    So, two things...

1) after you rinse and wring the clothes, lay a towel out flat and then place the clothing flat on top of the towel, roll the towel up tight and wring it out. This will draw a ton of moisture out, allowing them to dry much faster.

2) if they're not dry in the morning, just put em on damp like in the army. It sucks at first but body heat does a pretty good job of finishing the drying pretty quickly.

3) when I have to do this, it's generally me pulling something out of the dirty laundry and washing it rather than just washing what I happened to be wearing that day. I don't travel with just one set of clothing (usually). Smilie

That said, it's truly not for everyone, but I've only gotten stranded twice in the last 250k miles, so dealing with slightly damp underwear is a lot better in my book than lugging one extra set of clothes on every trip.

There are literally a million things I could bring along with me just in case, and if I do need them on a particular trip and don't have them with me it's likely to be a pain to detour and get them, but still on net, it's best to consider how likely the need for something is and weight it accordingly.
    1) I've done that, and it still didn't dry (I like a lot of cottons and linens--tech fabric doesn't do it for me, though I do like soft wools).

2) Gross (to me; you do you, boo) and no thank you.

3) So, yeah, I had a carryon suitcase that ended up getting checked; this was just a matter of taking out a pair of clean chonies and a spare shirt (which I'm realizing I actually already had in my backpack; I'd packed a long-sleeved shirt because I don't usually travel in a tank top but the humidity in DC was a whole new world for me) and moving them to my backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    I probably wouldn't travel with less than three sets of clothes, in which case your problem is avoided; wash a set each evening before you go to bed, and they should be dry by the next morning, but if not, you still have other clean clothes. And definitely look into clothing from other fabrics that dry faster...Jeans take forever to air dry.
    For general traveling, I get you here. This is a just-in-case shirt and underthings in my backpack when my small roller gets checked; my travel was half-professional and half-fun-times, so there was plenty of things to wear, I just didn't have access to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2