Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 as a Personal Item on United?

I was planning to bring my S25 as my personal item to accompany my rolling back for a trip from Anchorage to DC, but the specs say it's larger than their allowance.

Has this been a problem for people? Should I try to underpack it to fit?

Many thanks to those experienced with flying United. I'm usually an Alaska Airlines girl, but I don't get to pick with work travel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be fine. Nobody will measure it or give you any pushback at all. You would have to massively overstuff a S25 to somehow prevent it from fitting under a seat.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without the frame sheet it would fit no problem, but with the frame it's slightly over the "box" but would still conform to dimensions specified (i.e. it needs less width so that could be added to height) anyways here is a pic of the s25 in the personal item box. I took it as a personal item on Delta and had no problems, we even had a second TSA bag check at our departure gate. It was maybe two inches too long, fit just fine width wise.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, guys, thanks! Headed out tonight!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was stuffed full and fit fine under the seat on the last flight I took!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Without the frame sheet it would fit no problem, but with the frame it's slightly over the "box" but would still conform to dimensions specified...
    This is interesting. We have flown Delta, United, and Frontier and not had any issues with it fitting into the personal item sizer. However we just purchased frame sheets for our S25's and now this has me a little concerned. Has anyone else had this issue or been asked to fit it into the sizer prior to boarding? I'm probably making a mountain from a mole hill but don't want to get tagged at the last minute by an aggressive gate agent.
    Last edited by SKIMT; 06-19-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it doesn't quite fit into the personal item sizer box, I have flown hundreds of times and never been asked to actually place it in there. My pics were just for these forums, I thought people might like a reference. It fits under the seat just fine even packed to the gills. I wouldn't worry about it. Airlines mostly concern themselves with roller bags. You should see how people try to get away with large sized rollers as carry-ons. BTW I flew on veuling a cheapo European airline with a larger backpack and they didn't look twice.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have taken my S25 on several flights and no airline workers ever questioned the bag's size. I would note, however, that the S25 is fairly tall. This means it sticks out a bit into the foot area, which can get annoying on long flights.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIMT View Post
    This is interesting. We have flown Delta, United, and Frontier and not had any issues with it fitting into the personal item sizer. However we just purchased frame sheets for our S25's and now this has me a little concerned. Has anyone else had this issue or been asked to fit it into the sizer prior to boarding? I'm probably making a mountain from a mole hill but don't want to get tagged at the last minute by an aggressive gate agent.
    I have averaged ~100 segments/year over the last five years or so and I have never once seen any airline employee give a second glance to any "normal" looking backpack. I doubt even a Hero's Journey would raise an eyebrow, much less a S25.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 as a Personal Item on United?

I just ordered the frame sheets for my A30 and my Synapse 25 so Iíll be looking at how folks react to them next time i fly.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flew Delta on Monday evening. I had my S25 moderately packed and the S25 internal frame installed. No one questioned me at all and I had no issue fitting the S25 under the seat in front of me

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I e never had issue flying with mine before the frame sheet but got worried after seeing it not fit in the sizer. Glad to hear this doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Alaska airlines? They recently changed their carry on dimensions... anyone have any feedback to share?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "carry on" and "personal item" are different things. Carry-on dimensions are for things going in the overhead bins. Personal items go under the seat.

In any case, no US-based airline is going to give you a hard time about a S25.

Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all! The S25 fit great under the seats, even the aisle seat, which seemed a bit narrower than the middle/window spaces. I totally overpacked it, though (ended up with some items at my training I needed to transport home). It was my only carryon, and in the future I will definitely pack a pair of chonis and a spare shirt, because I almost ended up with an unexpected overnight in Denver due to delayed flights!

Thanks again for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast