Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Backpack- Halcyon or Ballistic?

I have been considering buying a Daylight Backpack to use as a day pack when I am traveling. But I keep going back and forth between Halcyon or Ballistic. I really don't like the look of the Ballistic, but I know its "packable," which is a big plus since I'll be putting it inside my larger travel bag. I also want the backpack to retain its shape, so it doesn't look sloppy when I'm out and about exploring the city. So, can the Ballistic easily lay flat inside the travel bag? Is it "packable?" Does the Ballistic retain its shape?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a big fan of halcyon

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly they’re pretty much the same. Ballistic holds its shape a *little* better but unless you know you’ll be walking around with pokey things the distinction is negligible. I have halycon in three different colors and adore them.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classier or flatter

With my Medium Cafes in both Halcyon and 525d - the Halcyon is definitely more floppy than the 525d, while the 525d definitely looks classier. The Medium Cafe in Halcyon flat-packs very well but only so-so in 525d.

Keep in mind the big difference in terms of packing the Daylight Backpack in your checked or overhead luggage is going to be the lack of padding (body and straps) with the Daylight Backpack vs. packing a conventional day pack with the usual massively thicker padded backpack straps and body panel padding.

Compared to those big differences (Bihn unlined, unpadded, seatbelt webbing backpack straps vs. conventional padded-up-the-wazoo daypack) the differences between 525d and Halcyon are minor. Also, unlike my Medium Cafe where the edges are close to the center, the Daylight Backpack might stick up around the perimeter but will be very flat in the much larger center area so you are only really wasting some space near the perimeter if you go with 525d instead of Halcyon.

So I think it comes down to looks. I will probably get the Halcyon Daylight Backpack since the thin and technical look appeals to me for travel, and while I will mostly use it on the airplane, the ability to flat pack it with absolute efficiency is important to me. If I were getting it for local every day use, or even checking into a nicer hotel overseas, that would tip me to choosing 525d.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried both, and ended up loving the halcyon more than the ballistic. I'll lay down my pros/cons for each:

Halcyon DLBP:
    + super light weight
    + folds up thin and can easily be shoved in the backpack compartment of the A30/A45 (this is a HUGE plus to me; it's much harder to do this with the ballistic version)
    + feels more comfortable when worn as a backpack because better molds to your back shape (the ballistic has too much structure and wore awkwardly on me... I needed to put a S19 freudian slip for it to feel comfortable
    - (subjective) doesn't look as "classy"
    - less waterproof because of thinner lining of urethane
    - thinner means it is more floppy and will mold to/show your contents more. If you don't fill the back panels right, things can stick out into your back (this was never an issue to me, but it's something to keep in mind)

Ballistic DLBP:
    + light weight (honestly the weight difference isn't really that noticeable between the bags)
    + structure means it'll better hide its contents/won't be as floppy
    + thicker urethane means more water resistant
    - added structure can make it feel a bit boxy on the back/doesn't mold well to your back
    - harder to fold up and pack up, because thicker ballistic doesn't fold as easily; hard to shove in the A30/A45 backpack compartment (this was a deal-breaker for me, and I returned it for this)
    - from my experience, ballistic will show scrapes easier than the halcyon; after only a few months with my S19, I already see some shiny marks from places it's rubbed against. This hasn't been an issue with the Halcyon fabric

I used my halcyon DLBP in a three week trip to Japan, using a medium cafe bag freudian slip in the bottom shingle and a folded up small shopping bag in the top back shingle and LOVED it. It was so comfortable, lightweight, streamlined, and I could move around comfortably even during tokyo rush hour. I've had the bag for a few months now, and there's no visible wear on the outside. You can't go wrong with halcyon... I think original halcyon looks super classy too

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pure5152 View Post
    - from my experience, ballistic will show scrapes easier than the halcyon; after only a few months with my S19, I already see some shiny marks from places it's rubbed against. This hasn't been an issue with the Halcyon fabric
    I've had the exact opposite experience. Ballistic does not show any wear, but halcyon shows white marks where the fabric has scraped against something.

Forum Member
    Pollock Pines, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just chiming in on behalf of ballistic 525! To me it is a dream fabric. Beautiful to look at and really soft and supple in the dlbp. It clings to my back like a baby chimp. I love it.