Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What will replace the Smart Alec?

I got into Tom Bihn a little late so I missed out on the Smart Alec, are there plans to replace it with something similar?

Packed up my S25 for a trip and while it works I think the SA would be better with its giant cavern, in the S25 I have a Large and Small A30 packing cubes (stacked on top of each other) and while that combo fits well in the main compartment it is kind of making it difficult to access the water bottle pocket, which in turn makes the small front pocket useless. Taking the small cube out makes things happy again but I can see the Smart Alec being better for travel.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded - the Smart Alec is the most versatile bag of the bunch, IMHO, and there's nothing else in the market quite like it. If there were a 20-22L version, I'd probably sell my Synapses and get that instead as an EDC/ ultralight travel bag.

(And because I'm daydreaming, it comes in Cloud/Sitka. Smilie )
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SA is my favorite travel bag. No Tetris required to pack and it is super comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I like my S25 and use it too but my SA is my go to backpack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another +1 on the Smart Alec. For me, itís such an excellent all around bag for both travel or just toting things around. I canít seem to pack my S25 with the same amount of clothes/stuff as I can with the SA. I think of it as a vertical duffle. And I am definitely not a light packer, but the Smart Alec seems to swallow whatever I put in it and it doesnít become distorted into an egg-like shape, and itís super comfortable to wear, as Amy G has noted. I do prefer the halcyon version since itís more flexible and for the weight savings. However, I am looking forward to new TB designs that might become a new favorite, but I will always have a place for the Smart Alec.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regret not buying the SA when it was still available, and I find myself checking out ebay every now and then for used ones. Do you think its even possible TB will bring back the SA again? Has there been any TB backpacks that came back from retirement?

Forum Member
    Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderersaurus View Post
    Do you think its even possible TB will bring back the SA again? Has there been any TB backpacks that came back from retirement?
    Maybe if we keep threads like this going? Iím a huge SA fan. I too keep an eye on eBay for backups. Havenít bought one yet but I would be very sad if something happened to my Verde/Ultraviolet. Itís my daily companion. Handles my light EDC with plenty of room left for groceries on the way home. And it makes a perfect underseat companion when. I travel. Iím not ultralight guy, but with a standard carryon and my SA I can live indefinitely on the road with all the comfort tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enough minor gripes with the SA that I wouldn't mind seeing an "inspired by" bag. I trust the TB process - they know what sells and I'm sure they'll come up with something new that incorporates some of the best features of the Smart Alec.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SA=best bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried all TB backpacks, and the SA is also my favorite. My only regret is not buying a halcyon version. The SA made me realize how much I love top loading/bucket style bags. Add me to the list of folks hoping for something similar to be released in the future... Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderersaurus View Post
    I regret not buying the SA when it was still available, and I find myself checking out ebay every now and then for used ones. Do you think its even possible TB will bring back the SA again? Has there been any TB backpacks that came back from retirement?
    The Field Journal Notebook and the Little Swift were both retired and brought back for awhile so you can still hope. Iíve noticed some SAís on Ebay recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, so nothing officially in the works, or as far as we know. I was hoping some TB insiders would see this thread.

First time traveling with the S25, it's pretty nice. I like how once you remove the packing cubes it makes a nice daily carry bag as well, not too big. Once it's time to pack up and move on to the next destination the cubes just slide back in and you're ready, loving the ultralight/minimalist attitude towards travel packing!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the SA, so much so that we have multiples here. (Some from the mothership, and some from eBay/rehomes.) (We do also have multiple S19s, so I have equal amounts of love for both styles.)

The SA I find is (for me) the best and most flexible TB option for hauling odd-shaped loads from point A to point B. For EDC, though, I prefer the exterior pockets of the S19. So I could see a hybrid of the two - a few more integrated pockets (vs. the modular ones) on the outside of an SA-style bag, but with the large open top-loading compartment of the original.

But clearly I do not need more backpacks!! Big Grin Big Grin