Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Ah I didn't notice that. So true! I just don't remember the straps on my BB every giving me an issue. They really fit me well, lie flat, and don't clip each side of my neck like the S25 straps do. Maybe I have a thick neck.
    Hi @Tonya,

I don't have a Brain Bag, but my Synapse 25 (Steel Halcyon/Wasabi) was purchased from the very first production batch for this bag. For that (single) first production batch, that was available for pre-order starting April 2, 2013, and that shipped out in the last week of April 2013, they used the same spacing for the backpack strap placement as they had for the Synapse 19 models produced before April 2013. I posted a comparison picture of S25's in my post [#9 dated 05-08-2016] in the Sypanse 25 straps vs Brain Bag straps? thread. (The typo is as the original poster gave the title).

You can see the the back of my Synapse 25 (left bag in the bottom picture) has a narrower backpack strap spacing (use the width of the webbing carry loop at the top relative to the backpack strap position to check this -- since the Original Steel Halcyon uses fixed spacing for the grid of white Dyneema strands, it's also possible to check this be "counting squares" separating the straps, as well as directly measuring this with a ruler.

If you want to know how we can tell when the backpack strap spacing changed on the early S25 batches, the answer is that Halcyon color combinations other than Steel/Wasabi were not offered for pre-order until Darcy's forum post (#158 dated 04-25-2013) in the thread that announced/introduced the Synapse 25. So I just asked some forum members who waited to order those Halcyon color combinations in bags they received in May 2013 to measure the backpack strap spacing.

I don't know how to identify the Synapse 25 bags that were ordered in Cordura from the first batch, but the Halcyon option was clear because it was limited. And, the reason I wanted to try the (then new) 400d Halcyon fabric, was that I had ordered a Synapse 19 in original Nordic/Steel Halcyon earlier that year, when that option first debuted, and really liked it.

BTW, I'm an inch shorter than you, and I have no issues with the backpack straps on that Synapse 25. It is a more comfortable fit on a small frame.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @bintobeen, I don't have the Brain Bag, but the product web site pages show views of the backs of all the bags, and the Brain Bag looks like this:

The straps hang down fairly straight.

By contrast, the Synapse straps (and those of the Smart Alec) do have straps with more of an "S" shape:

If you're asking whether the backpack straps on the most recent Synapse 25s have this same "S" shape curvature, and look like the picture of the back of Synapse 25 that I posted in post #6 of the thread on the New backpack strap placement on the Synapse (where the left side shows the Synpase 25 model I have made in April 2013, and the right side shows the Synpase 25 models made after, starting May 2013 -- both with the "S" curve straps), then the answer is yes, the backpack straps on the new Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25 I just received still looks shaped like the right side view of the picture below (from post #6 in that thread):

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    BTW, I'm an inch shorter than you, and I have no issues with the backpack straps on that Synapse 25. It is a more comfortable fit on a small frame.
    That's really interesting because the straps are so closely spaced on that model that it would seem to be uncomfortable, but I totally believe you. Since backpack straps actually begin on the upper back (where the pack ends) and not the neck area, it's really how the straps fall when they touch and move over the shoulders. I hate the S25 didn't work for me. I still really want that pack. I'll just have to keep an eye on TB to see what they come up with next. Thanks for the input!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tonya,

This is the exact same problem I have with my S19 and the straps 'flaring' outward and not seated flush against my chest. For the most part I have gotten over it and using the chest buckle helps. I've had my S19 for over a year and use it daily and it is still like this and hasn't 'broken in' as some others have suggested.

I'm not sure how to remedy this, but just wanted to add my 2 cents if anyone at TB is listening. This is one reason bringing me hesitation about the TB backpacks.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmp View Post
    Hi Tonya, This is the exact same problem I have with my S19 and the straps 'flaring' outward and not seated flush against my chest. For the most part I have gotten over it and using the chest buckle helps. I've had my S19 for over a year and use it daily and it is still like this and hasn't 'broken in' as some others have suggested.
    Ahhhh THANK YOU! I still doubted my decision to return the S25 until your post. I'm all about comfort so the straps were the deal breaker for me unless they would eventually "break in," but I couldn't chance $200 on it. I learned years ago that hiking shoes/boots don't break in like the salesmen always promised. If the shoe doesn't feel great in the store, it's a usually a hot mess on the trail. I was worried that the straps were the same way, and you have confirmed my concerns. Thank you again!

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh thing about the zipper pulls. TB has a great instructional video up about how to silence/muffle the zipper pulls and attach cordage. I found very helpful. I also would remove the metal of the zipper pull. If the cordage doesnít muffle it enough you can get some shrink wrap (used for insulating wires) cheap. Cut some to length and fit them over the metal zipper pull. Just some tips. Too bad about the S25, but sometimes itís better to go with gut.

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, i meant 'not' remove the metal zipper pulls. Oh man, editing a day later...

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babblinbeanz View Post
    Whoops, i meant 'not' remove the metal zipper pulls. Oh man, editing a day later...
    Ha! I hear ya. Though I think if I had kept it (or if I get a similar TB bag in the future), I'd have no qualms removing the pulls. I'm rather a minimalistic shopper so I only tend to buy and keep things that I love, so as long as it works for me I'd have no reason to regret any alterations. Much thanks for your input!

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Ha! I hear ya. Though I think if I had kept it (or if I get a similar TB bag in the future), I'd have no qualms removing the pulls. I'm rather a minimalistic shopper so I only tend to buy and keep things that I love, so as long as it works for me I'd have no reason to regret any alterations. Much thanks for your input!
    Oh yeah! Tom Bihn is BIFL (Buy it for life!) ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2