Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally able to try out my S25 and it's going back :(

I ordered an S25 a couple of weeks ago and just got a chance to try it on this morning. Unfortunately, it's going back. I shared the pictures elsewhere in the forum but I'll also post them here along with a few notes in the hopes that it will help others.

I'm a 5'5" female (120 lbs or so) and the pack itself fits me like a glove. Love how it feels! Surprisingly, I like the pack much better without the frame. The frame makes the pack feel very stiff which I am sure is the point, but the frame keeps the pack from sitting properly on my back. Even when packed normally (not to capacity) the frame works against the shape of my body. With my normal EDC, the S25 feels fine without the frame like pictured in the photo below. The pack is empty in the photo.

Finally able to try out my S25 and it's going back :(-s25-back-jpg

Why it's going back...

- The shoulder straps are a killer. They barely even touch my shoulders and torso, and where they do touch, I'm absolutely certain that they'll rub me raw. I'm rather broad shouldered for a female, but the strap fit is absolutely terrible.

Finally able to try out my S25 and it's going back :(-s25-straps-jpg

- Island. I know there are some diehard Island fans out there, but I'm not one of them. The Olive exterior is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. The Island interior gives me a headache. Enough said.

Finally able to try out my S25 and it's going back :(-s25-island-jpg

- The final kicker that is not going to work with the S25: The zippers jangle like I'm a dog walker being pulled along by at least 5 retrievers on a leash. I like how heavy duty the zippers are but these things are a major nuisance.

I've had a Daylight that has been my EDC for years. I've taken that pack with me everywhere and it has been the best bag in the world, but I need something larger. The S25 is the perfect size and I could even choke down the Island (maybe) and hack a muffler for the zippers IF the straps worked. I've also got a Brain Bag that I love but it's too large for an EDC.

I know I sound a bit like Goldilocks but I really need a new EDC pack that is somewhere between the DLB and BB, and unfortunately I need it now and can't wait for an unknown TB future design. At the moment, I don't think TB has a solution for me. {Sob!} If anyone knows of one, I'm open to advice.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just compared the straps on the new S25 to the straps on my older BB. Has TB redesigned the backpack straps or have these bags always had different straps? If it's a newer strap design, I might could find an older S25 with straps like my BB. Problem solved!

Finally able to try out my S25 and it's going back :(-s25-vs-bb-straps-jpg

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pix and surprising report on the shoulder straps. Are they too wide apart, too close together, too long, too short? I'm a guy so I'm curious on behalf of the women in the family.

I react definitely to colors too and I sympathize; in this case I'm opposite from you: don't like the olive, but do like the island! I've found that if I buy something in a color I'm not keen on, I later regret it.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Great pix and surprising report on the shoulder straps. Are they too wide apart, too close together, too long, too short? I'm a guy so I'm curious on behalf of the women in the family.
    I've been reading in the forums, and it looks like the way the straps fit me is a common problem for some folks. You may can see this in the photos, but they don't sit flush on my body but instead torque outward. They dig into my body on the outer edge but don't touch my body on the inside edge of the strap. I'm going to try loading the pack a bit to see if that helps. The sternum strap pulls them closer but they still torque.

And I think I answered my own question above. It looks like the straps on the BB aren't and haven't been on any of the Synapses.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The should straps will break in, just like the bag. It would probably help if you put some weight in the bag as well.

As for the zippers I agree, and on any bag I get from TB I end up cutting the metal pull tags off and replacing them. There are many third party options that sell replacements or you can have fun and make your own.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RmkOutdoors View Post
    As for the zippers I agree, and on any bag I get from TB I end up cutting the metal pull tags off and replacing them. There are many third party options that sell replacements or you can have fun and make your own.
    Ah this is brilliant! Well that solves that problem. Is that a zipper pull that you purchased or made?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bag should have plastic pull tags with cords included. You can wrap those through the holes in the metal tags, which will reduce the sound. I would try that first, before clipping off the metal pull tags. Once you remove the metal tags, you can't put them back.

I also would echo that the straps on the S25 become less stiff over time. I'm not sure if they will loosen enough to fix your issue, though. The main negative with the straps is they get really, really hot in the summer. I don't understand why they don't have vent holes. All my other backpacks have vent holes, including a Osprey bag I have that folds down into a wallet sized pouch.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Ah this is brilliant! Well that solves that problem. Is that a zipper pull that you purchased or made?
    I purchased these from a company called Vanquest. I got then through Amazon they come in black coyote and grey! You can also make your own with Paracord as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Your bag should have plastic pull tags with cords included. You can wrap those through the holes in the metal tags, which will reduce the sound. I would try that first, before clipping off the metal pull tags. Once you remove the metal tags, you can't put them back.
    Good point!

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above, try the fit with a normal load. Otherwise, its impossible to know if the backpack works for you, as the physics will be exponentially different.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with you regarding the S25 straps. Apart from our current heatwave, it's normally chilly enough here that my shoulders and neck are covered and I don't have to have the straps against my bare skin. They are super uncomfortable on my skin, stiff and almost scratchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    As mentioned above, try the fit with a normal load. Otherwise, its impossible to know if the backpack works for you, as the physics will be exponentially different.
    Thanks. I did that. It helps keep them in place but they are still twisted. The outer edges don't touch on top of my shoulders and then it flips as the straps move down my front torso. Rub rub rub.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Totally agree with you regarding the S25 straps. Apart from our current heatwave, it's normally chilly enough here that my shoulders and neck are covered and I don't have to have the straps against my bare skin. They are super uncomfortable on my skin, stiff and almost scratchy.
    Yeah I noticed this also. I rarely wear tanks but where the straps touch my neck... wowza they are uncomfortable. Maybe TB will revamp the Synapse straps. Otherwise, the S25 is just a gorgeous backpack. I want to make it work really badly, but between the Island and the straps, it's a no go. I agree with Go Navy that I'll eventually regret it if I settle for a color I don't like.

Too many negatives but dang it, I really want another TB backpack! I'm on the other side of the States but if I was closer, I'd visit Oregon just to try on a few to see if something would work.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I just compared the straps on the new S25 to the straps on my older BB. Has TB redesigned the backpack straps or have these bags always had different straps? If it's a newer strap design, I might could find an older S25 with straps like my BB. Problem solved!

Finally able to try out my S25 and it's going back :(-s25-vs-bb-straps-jpg
    The first thing I notice is the angle at which the straps appear to be attached to the top of the pack. On the older bag on the right, they're at an angle; on the new bag, the attachments are almost horizontal. The difference could be due to break-in and wear, though.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    The first thing I notice is the angle at which the straps appear to be attached to the top of the pack. On the older bag on the right, they're at an angle; on the new bag, the attachments are almost horizontal. The difference could be due to break-in and wear, though.
    Ah I didn't notice that. So true! I just don't remember the straps on my BB every giving me an issue. They really fit me well, lie flat, and don't clip each side of my neck like the S25 straps do. Maybe I have a thick neck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast