Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone tried the new Aeronaut Internal frame and/or the Hip Straps???

I would love some feed back! I'm pondering getting these for my A45 but am not totally convinced by how they attach to the shoulder harness points.
    Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got both. The internal frame just slips into the backpack strap section. It's not as fiddly as attaching the S25 version of the internal frame which has that T shaped thing that attaches to the rails thingy..

The backpack straps snap into the hip belt, and then you snap the hip belt into the A45 connectors at the bottom. It's really very quick and easy.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying the frame/straps over the past few days, and they seem to improve the carrying experience for me, although not drastically. Of course, I've only worn the pack around my house, and not on an extended walk, so their true impact may still be undiscovered. Two characteristics stand out most clearly for me: 1. the frame prevents the A45 from bowing/gaping at my lower back (a few other people had reported this occurrence, too, and may be related to packing style), and 2. the belt clearly sits on my hips better than the 1" synapse/SA hip belt which I'd previously used...when I walk, I feel the pack move with my hips more than my back. Although, as a male, I don't really have 'hips,' but the point is still valid.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasty75 View Post
    I would love some feed back! I'm pondering getting these for my A45 but am not totally convinced by how they attach to the shoulder harness points.
    Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
    Over on Ravelry, one of our members mentioned this:

The day before I left on my trip to England, I scurried over to Tom Bihn to buy one of the new hip belts for the A45.

I am sooooo very happy I did. It was brilliant. It took just enough weight off my shoulders and back so that I could use my bag in backpack mode and haul it up and down stairs etc in the London underground or from train stations to BnBs. And when we were stuck on a train that was way overbooked, I was able to keep my A45 on my back (there was barely even standing room) without discomfort.

I would strongly urge anyone planning to use their A45 for a COO journey to buy the hip belt.

And for the curious, when I checked my bag on the way home, I learned it was 16 kilos or 35 1/4 pounds. gosh but books weigh a bunch!

I just ordered both the padded belt and the internal frame sheet for my A45 this morning. I'm less certain about the frame; I kind of like a softer feeling bag. But I want to be able to manage it with as much comfort as possible, so I'm going to give it a go.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the one hand, I also like a softer bag because it helps the hip belt mold around my hips. But the bag still slouches away from my back and drags on my shoulders.

On the other hand, the stiff frame sheet hold the bag right against my back and lifts the shoulder straps up a bit so my shoulders don't hurt.

I think I need to do a serious, proper test pack and try it both ways. It's nice that the frame sheet is easy to install and uninstall, so I have a choice.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I debated this question on a different thread, but I will update here.

When I first tried it, the frame was very uncomfortable for me, hurting my back. I was advised to remove the metal piece, which I did, and then it felt fine. I may try to reshape it into a more gentle curve and give it another chance, but I can use the plastic frame alone as a stiffener.

The hip belt I am less decided on. It's easy to install and fits me fine, but it turns the Aeronaut into more of a dedicated backpack, IMO. I like to switch off between carrying the Aeronaut by the shoulder strap and wearing it on my back, and with the hip straps it no longer has such a clean look for shoulder-carry. I'm not sure what to do about that. The problem with wearing the Aeronaut all the time is that my back gets hot, and/or in some places (getting on and off a bus, etc.) it is more appropriate to cart around by the handle. And honestly, if I'm waiting in a long line at the airport, I would just set it down on the floor, so it's easier to do that when I'm holding it by the handle.

However, it also occurs to me that the hip belt should work with the Western Flyer as well. If that's the case it seems almost too versatile not to keep. Has anyone tried this?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not tried it with the WF. In fact, I just ordered it today. But I’m intrigued by the idea. I will have to try it on my bag and see how it works.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the new Aeronaut Hip Belt works beautifully with the Western Flyer - like it was made for it. I also use the A45 Frame with my WF and it fits perfectly. The Frame Sheet helps it keep its shape even when stuffed. I did have to flatten out the back curve of the metal bar for it to fit me well. The A45 has a pretty pronounced curve on it.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Followup report: I left the frame in my bag, along with a test pack, over the past week. When I picked up the bag today to try it on again, I noticed that the frame's aluminum stay juts out and looks rough. The bag is fairly new and definitely didn't have any signs of wear before I installed the frame (properly following the instructions.) Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited to clarify issue and remove my improper impression
    Attached Images Attached Images Has anyone tried the new Aeronaut Internal frame and/or the Hip Straps???-img_20180709_140406-jpg  Has anyone tried the new Aeronaut Internal frame and/or the Hip Straps???-img_20180709_140422-jpg 
    Last edited by ThomGault; 07-09-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @ThomGault!

The first thing that pops in my mind upon seeing your photo is that I think you've got the frame installed on the wrong side of the foam back panel and possibly backwards. Do you think that could be the case?

The foam portion of the back panel should be closer to your back than the frame, if that makes sense. And the webbing 'pocket' that the stay is installed into should be facing the contents of the bag, rather than your back.

We took a look at the instructions on how to install the Aeronaut Internal Frame and saw that they could have been more clear on that part. We've added "The foam back panel of the Aeronaut should be against your back and the Internal Frame in front of that foam." to Step 3 of the installation. See: https://blog.tombihn.com/how-to-aero...added-hip-belt

The good news is that it looks like your bag just got a little dirty in those spots and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the material. I'd guess that with the stay pressed against the fabric, and the bag pressed against something dirty- you got some of that dirty on your nice Aeronaut. Another possibility for those marks- I don't know if this is the case with your bag, but we've seen that odd sort of orange-ish marking on bags that have gotten black Sharpie ink on them.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Hey @ThomGault!

The first thing that pops in my mind upon seeing your photo is that I think you've got the frame installed on the wrong side of the foam back panel and possibly backwards. Do you think that could be the case?

The foam portion of the back panel should be closer to your back than the frame, if that makes sense. And the webbing 'pocket' that the stay is installed into should be facing the contents of the bag, rather than your back.

We took a look at the instructions on how to install the Aeronaut Internal Frame and saw that they could have been more clear on that part. We've added "The foam back panel of the Aeronaut should be against your back and the Internal Frame in front of that foam." to Step 3 of the installation. See: https://blog.tombihn.com/how-to-aero...added-hip-belt

The good news is that it looks like your bag just got a little dirty in those spots and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the material. I'd guess that with the stay pressed against the fabric, and the bag pressed against something dirty- you got some of that dirty on your nice Aeronaut. Another possibility for those marks- I don't know if this is the case with your bag, but we've seen that odd sort of orange-ish marking on bags that have gotten black Sharpie ink on them.
    Hi @MikeV, thanks for the quick reply! You were partially right---I had the frame closer to my back than the padding, and the extra sentence added to the instructions helps make it clear. The frame is installed in the correct direction, but I've switched the frame with the padding and presume that the problem will resolve itself. Thanks again!