Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Good question. We chose not to offer Shop Bags in 210d or 525d ballistic because we thought it would create too many options and that could result in inefficiencies when we batch cut the pre-order production runs. And, ultimately, we chose to make the totes in the fabrics that we deemed the most appropriate for each design.
    Bummer. I missed these on the last release and hoped to get a zip top tote in a veridian or alpha violet. Or even that new gray.

I wanted something a little more sturdy to take on business trips for extra carrying capacity: Halycon, I suspect, is too floppy, and it looks like the Truck may not fit in my A30 because of tedious folding (does the Truck have a rigid bottom?), and isn't a zip top anyway.
    Last edited by Crinoidea; 07-18-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crinoidea View Post
    Bummer. I missed these on the last release and hoped to get a zip top tote in a veridian or alpha violet. Or even that new gray.

I wanted something a little more sturdy to take on business trips for extra carrying capacity: Halycon, I suspect, is too floppy, and it looks like the Truck may not fit in my A30 because of tedious folding (does the Truck have a rigid bottom?), and isn't a zip top anyway.
    I haven't tried to pack a Truck into an Aeronaut 30 (can check this later), but I carried one of these in the center section of my Tri-Star the last two of my work trips. Though, I'll admit that I took the Island Halcyon version that they sent me as the first prototype for testing, instead of the 210 Ballistic Nylon version that was the second prototype (slightly easier to pack). The central square portion of the Truck has a thin, square plastic piece between the bottom layer and the inside bottom of the bag -- the two side compartments have no additional reinforcement at the bottom. Because of the way the bag is structured, I don't find the Halcyon version "too floppy". (Just my opinion on this.)

My guess is that they're using the same plastic material they now use for the plastic T-bars to suspend Synapse frame sheets to reinforce the bottom of the Truck. (Current T-bars have a smoother surface than the earlier "matte" feel of the T-bar plastic.)

I actually like both Halcyon and Ballistic options of the Truck, but I can see that if you wanted to make the Truck general purpose (e.g., a bag for holding tools in your Truck), that you'd want to have this in the Ballistic Nylon Version.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time in 11 years I miss a debut!

Yesterday, the wifi from my laptop went off and asked for a password only available on our desktop, which was not set up with my forum log in. It has been fixed tonight when I realized that Wednesday the 17 was the day of the debut.

My email, which makes noise for junk mail, for some reason, stays quiet when there is a new TB email.

In the heatwave, we had to suffer since May, outings are via car with the LSB, open style.

That bag is ultra sturdy, I bought one of the first batches and it has played many roles: outflow knitting bag, artist bag (maker bag), shopping bag, EDC and carry on.

The LSB without zipper is still available and Northwest Sky is very, very neutral, the bag equivalent of those optical illusions that blend in the background or me, wearing beige.

It is a best bet for an easy to carry inside another bag, just in case I need extra stuff, TB Tote. The Small Shop Bag non zipper, is the same. except smaller.

The introduction of a Zippered LSB is very timely, as a carry on, the regular LSB makes me a little nervous, always worried about some things getting loose, even if pretty much everything was secured with a Key Strap.

We also have to deal with out of the blue, serious downpour, which are good for the ecosystem, at that time a zippered bag is a must, if many books are carried.

I place loose paper and other items in Tom Bihn accessories.

The Truck is a perfect shopping bag which can also be used to sort items like laundry, be a tote maker bag with more built in organization than a Shop Bag and more volume than both the Swift and the Pop Tote. For people who have hobbies which tools or pieces of art are too big for the Totes mentioned before.

Because it has long handles, it can be carried over the shoulder, for a quick stop at a second store when you main shopping place doesn't have a specialty item or during errand day, otherwise known as multiple stops day. It also passed the o-ring test, after the nice pictures, new yummy colors and the description, I checked the number of o-rings. The side pockets have one, thumbs up!

I also noticed that Darcy and Haraya mentioned Fiona and Loki to highlight Canine Related Activities perfectly suited for Trunk use. Smilie

I have 2 regular Small Shop Bags, they are wonderful to organize many things and great to take as small grocery bag replacements (less plastic in the environment), they can be color coded for activities, for each person, to set up with a matching wardrobe of Halcyon accessories and... they are just super cute!
    Whether you want to expand your regular Small Shop Bag collection and just try one on, please take the plunge. I am saying that because of this quote from the Blog: " Will there be another production run of the Original Small Shop Bag after this? Maybe, maybe not: part of that depends on whether you guys prefer the Original Small Shop Bag or the Small Zip-Top Shop Bag."

For cuteness both the zipless and the Zip-Top Shop Bag are equal, but I usually do not scrunch/fold into a tiny pocket, items with zippers.

Thank you Tom, Darcy, Nik and the whole Crew who worked so hard to make those beautiful bags!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moriond, thanks for your reply!

I was comparing the two new totes, so when I said the Halycon may be too floppy, I meant the zip top shop bags. I was hoping those would be available in veridian or alphaviolet for a backup bag I would stick in my EDC for professional travel. (Which is usually co-pilot, preferred because I end up on public transit or crowded spaces and I like the security of zippers). I frequently end up doing small grocery runs or need to carry something extra, and it would be handy - I've always stuck one of my regular reusable bags in my bag for this, but they always look wrinkly when I pull them out.

I like the Truck (for the organization as well as the fabric choices), but for me I'd have to give up the security of the zippers, plus it's structure means it would take up a lot of space in the A30. So it would be relegated to home use, and I already have bags that do those things.

I admit it's a really tricky line, because I really needed a couple totes in the Spring, and since this debut got pushed to mid summer, I've bought a couple totes other places, and been happy with them.

Plus I missed when the shop bags were offered in fabrics other than Halycon, but I've been burned on eBay before so didn't pursue them there either (I paid way over retail for an Island travel tray, and within days of receiving it, the announcement was made it was coming to the regular line. Whoops.)
    Last edited by Crinoidea; 07-19-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crinoidea View Post

Hi @Crinoidea,

I took some pictures of the Truck and the A30. You would have to fold it multiple times to get it into the Aeronaut 30, and the thickness of the 210d Ballistic Nylon would make that less convenient to pack.

Here's the flattened length of the Truck (210d Dawn Ballistic Nylon) set against the back of the flattened Aeronaut 30 (Aubergine/Wasabi). The side edges extend to about the same length as the flattened A30 (and a little beyond)
    Evil hints Darcy?-img_3635-jpg

You can put it inside the A30 main compartment, but you need to make multiple folds:
    Evil hints Darcy?-img_3637-jpg

This is what the folded back of the Truck looks like, with both bottom and sides folded:
    Evil hints Darcy?-img_3638-jpg

Here's the bottom of the Truck folded up:
    Evil hints Darcy?-img_3639-jpg

It would be easier to carry a Small Shop Bag (this is the zippered one in Island, shifted down a bit from the Truck). You should mainly note that the sides don't extend far enough out to require additional folding:
    Evil hints Darcy?-img_3641-jpg

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Crinoidea,

Darcy responded this afternoon with the information that they would make the Shop Bags in 210d Ballistic, so I would recommend that you place an order for the Black 210d zippered shop bags to carry in your Aeronaut 30. That would be a much better fit to your bag!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hey everyone,

We agree a black option for the Zip-Top Shop Bag and Original Shop Bag makes sense, especially if one is using either bag as an every day carry — or just doesn’t want to worry about stains caused by an exploding beet and kale smoothie. I mean, I’d totally carry a black Shop Bag some days too.

So, here they are:
    Original Small Shop Bag, Black 210d ballistic
    Small Zip-Top Shop Bag, Black 210d ballistic
    Large Zip-Top Shop Bag, Black 210d ballistic

We don’t find that the 525d works in the Zip-Top Shop Bags. We also just don’t think that the 400d Halcyon is a fabric best applied in the Shop Bags: we offered them a few times but ultimately decided against offering them again.

Note: the Shop Bags are somewhat underpriced and have been for a while. At some point in the future, we will need to increase their prices (along with other prices). I’ll give everyone a heads-up when that happens so you have plenty of warning. We did want to make sure to offer the Original Shop Bags at their current price and the Zip-Top Shop Bags for not much more for a while so everyone could get one at the current price.
    HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moriond,

Wow, thanks! That's really helpful.

I did see the ballistic shop bags - looks like a terrific option for me. I think I'm going to try one!

Thanks for looking out for me. Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of evil hints... Darcy, did I spy a new role for you? Or is that something thatís been going on and I just was tuned out? *raises ears*

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Speaking of evil hints... Darcy, did I spy a new role for you? Or is that something that’s been going on and I just was tuned out? *raises ears*
    No new role, unless you're referring to the change in title from "evil hints Darcy" to "dorky hints Darcy", heehee.

Speaking of: I've been asked by Tom and Nik if I would be so kind as to cease with the hinting. They'd like to let the design process unfold as it will without the deadlines or expectations that can be created by my hints. I've been thinking about that too because hinting, by its very nature and depending on how evil it is, obscures the facts of what the new design is going to be -- which can lead one to think they've figured out the hint and what type of certain new design will be debuted when in fact it's a totally different design! Maybe closer to the debut that I won't hint about we can set up a spoilers-only thread just for the fun of it. Or maybe we'll post an overview of the design / an interview with Tom or Nik on the blog a week before the actual design debuts. All of that will unfold as it will, too. Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see where hinting early in the design process could cause some issues with expectations on both sides and who needs that stress... personally, I would only like to know the general category of item(s), once TB is certain that they'll be launched.

For example, 'July debut will not include backpacks of any kind' or 'Debut will include accessories, cross body bag, but no backpacks' or something similar. That way, if I'm trying to find a new item and it looks like there will be a TB version at a debut, I would probably wait to see it. But if I really need a new work backpack and the next debut only has accessories and cross bodies (just making this up), then I'd know not to wait. If the design process is such that it's done cookin' when it's done and then immediately put into production, this may not work well, in which case I'd be better off not knowing any hints.
    Smilie

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in agreement that hinting when a prototype is still being modified and the like, that any hinting is likely more harmful than helpful. However, /right before/ (like the week before, after the item is done done and a date has been determined), I think hinting is really fun to get me excited about the new offering. Last year's debut of the cubelets was so much fun with all the stories about the colors, and trying to figure what that was all about. I would hate to lose that excitement- even when I guessed wrong it was still really fun for me.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5