1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washing Tom Bihn Synapse 19 - is scrubbing bad?

Hi there - sorry for the 1000000th question on washing bags on this forum. I tried to get all the info I could from other posts but couldn't see this.

I have a TB Synapse 19. It's four years old, I washed it about a year and a half ago, by hand wash. I didn't wash it very well, I just soaked it for a bit and saw some dirt came out, and then just dried it on a line. I used a DWR spray but not sure that did anything.

My question is...

- How bad is it if I scrub the bag with a brush? I've had the bag for four years so I'd imagine the treatment would have come off by now, correct?
    - Would it have the same effect if I used my own treatment? such as Grangers Repel?

I just feel it's gathered dirt over time and it needs a scrub.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've probably read the FAQs on cleaning, but here's a link:

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq25

The cleaning instructions mention using a washcloth so I wouldn't try a scrub brush. That might damage the water-resistant coating.

I wash my TB bags using a Mrs. Meyers liquid soap and have had good results with the recommended soaking/spot treating instructions.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - How bad is it if I scrub the bag with a brush?
    I only scrub my TB bags when all other cleaning methods fail. I did recently scrub my Swift, trying to remove rotten green pepper juice. I used a stiff brush but didn't bear down hard. It didn't harm the bag, this time. I don't know how many scrubbings a TB bag can take before it'll harm the interior coating.

Would it have the same effect if I used my own treatment? such as Grangers Repel?
    I haven't had any TB bags long enough for the coating to wear, but I have re-treated other denier nylon and cordura bags. I didn't think the treatment was as good as the original coating.