Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Truck - 525 or 210 denier Ballistic?

Hi all,

The new totes look lovely!
    I'm definitely getting the zipped SBs but
    I also like The Truck tote mainly for grocery shopping.

I spoke to Kat in Customer services yesterday.
    It seems that there are two weights of Ballistic.

I really like the Grass colour but this is in the lighter weight 210 ballistic.
    Also for general shopping, as grass is a light colour will it become dirty quickly?

Will I be better off buying the 525 ballistic in Aubergine?

Thank you.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure they would not have made The Truck in 210 ballistic if it couldn't do the job.

I'm also having a hard time narrowing down a color and a weight. I might have to order a couple to see the difference in person.

On the one hand, Nebulous Grey and Aubergine wouldn't show dirt and will definitely hold their shape. But they are also dark colors, so anything I put on the inside might get lost if I'm using it keep my craft stuff. For groceries, I don't think the color matters.

On the other hand, DAWN, and Island and Viridian are calling me. They will have nice bright interiors, so my craft supplies won't get lost.

But I also want every color of the shop bags, because I use shop bags for everything and wish they zipped closed. I sort of wished the ziptop shopbags came in the ballistic fabrics, too, so I'm going to have to get my lightweight ballistics in The Truck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @BWeaves
    The AV and Mars Red look good but I have them in the PT.

I do like the lightness of the SBs - I think Grass is calling to me as it's so cheerful.
    I too love the SBs and find them really useful.

Thank you for you comments and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had problems with my Grass cubelet getting dirty any faster than my other colors. It's sat in a dust pile, been dragged in dirt, pawed at with grubby fingers, and generally thrown about and the most I have to do is brush it off. The fabric seems to shed dirt so well it doesn't get a chance to smear into the color.

All that said, it hasn't contended with anything on the scale of the floor of a bus, or red onion skin smear.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't found any of the fabrics to show dirt. I think my black halcyon shop bag shows white scuff marks, but that's about it. Dirt doesn't stick to the ballistic fabric.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some general advice for everyone trying to decide between the two weights of fabric and lighter vs. darker colors...

If you plan to put your Truck to hard work and you'd rather your bag not have the character that stains of various kinds can add, you'll probably want to choose a darker color.

These are incredibly durable fabrics but they're not invincible: have a bulk container of olive oil explode or put a dirty/oily tool in the bag and your bag will probably get a stain. Or, put a very sharp tool in the bag or drag it around on the ground, and you'll see some results (we'd nudge you towards the 525d ballistic if you plan on subjecting the Truck to those sorts of situations). None of these things mean the bag is unusable of course. If it's going to be used for tough jobs, it's gonna look the part -- just like my favorite pair of Carhartts. Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    But I also want every color of the shop bags, because I use shop bags for everything and wish they zipped closed. I sort of wished the ziptop shopbags came in the ballistic fabrics, too, so I'm going to have to get my lightweight ballistics in The Truck.
    Yeah, the truck looks interesting but I was really holding out for a 210d ballistic zip top shop bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered my father-in-law a Truck in Aubergine 525. He loves his farmers' markets, and thinks all the totes from TB are the greatest things since sliced bread. On top of that, purple is his favorite color. This is going to be a PERFECT Christmas present!

eastern Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Nebulous Gray Truck from the first pre-order. It has become one of my favorite bags and I wanted to order a second one in Mars red during the second pre-order window, but waited a day too long and they were gone. I still want to order another Truck or two and am pleased they are going to become a stock item. Any idea when they will be available again? (I'm guessing late October when the second batch of pre-ordered bags ships.)

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    I still want to order another Truck or two and am pleased they are going to become a stock item. Any idea when they will be available again?
    Today Kat said the next batch will be out by the end of the year.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 210 ballistics have disappeared from the "in production" list?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by setrombley View Post
    The 210 ballistics have disappeared from the "in production" list?
    they just updated the weights of the materials per bag and also mentioned that they'll be focusing on the 525 ballistics - check out the post & thread below

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post165499
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    and also mentioned that they'll be focusing on the 525 ballistics
    Very sad, and need a 'dislike' button Frown

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew I should have ordered one in dawn when I had the chance. I dithered because I hoped there'd be a zip top shop bag in dawn and I'd rather have that. They've added black 210 so maybe there's hope for more 210 colors.

I see that the 3DOC now comes in 210, but NO DAWN! I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for dawn.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 525 ballistic stands up on its own, the 210 does not. While I loved the 210 colors, I did not order any because of this reason. My first Truck was the Nebulous Grey and the moment I took it out of the box, I knew I would be ordering more. Now waiting for one in Mars and one in Aubergine, they will go in the back of my car, "standing up".

I have also never had a stain on my TB bags that did not come out. I backed into an oily metal pipe once with my Cloud Luminary and was horrified at the dark oily streak left behind. Was able to get it out easily with rubbing alcohol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast