Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight backpack uses

Hello- I have a Synapse 19. But was considering getting a daylight backpack for things like walking around the city and groceries. Is it a good choice for this?

I use my Synapse to commute and for travel when I do. Figured would be nice to Have a smaller backpack for other things. Does anyone have both? What do you use your DLBP for?

Will it be ok for groceries?

Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Hello- I have a Synapse 19. But was considering getting a daylight backpack for things like walking around the city and groceries. Is it a good choice for this?

I use my Synapse to commute and for travel when I do. Figured would be nice to Have a smaller backpack for other things. Does anyone have both? What do you use your DLBP for?

Thanks!
    I love the DLBP. there are lots of tips around about ways to use one. If you are getting lots of groceries, it wouldn't hold many because it's narrow. However, it can easily carry shop bags w/o adding weight. It's a very comfortable backpack. I often forget I have it on.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    What sort of groceries? A quick stop at the store for a few things on the way home should be fine. Large or bulky items might not be a good fit. @Marytattoo had an excellent suggestion. If you put a shop bag or two in the Daylight Backpack, then you can use them for groceries.

I bought the Daylight Backpack as a day bag for when I travel because of it's water-resistant feature. My previous bag was drenched several times and everything inside was soaked. The DLBP has been added to my travel checklist and goes on every trip now.

The organization of the DLBP is so helpful that I've used it on several occasions around town, too. It went to the Alaska State Fair last year and I'm going to bring it again this year because it is so light I usually forget that I have it on. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you - that is very helpful - both posts. I think it's a good idea to put in some shop bags in the pocket and that can also add a bit of padding (correct?). I agree it wouldn't hold massive groceries but I wasn't thinking of say watermelons, however equally I was thinking of things like a litre of milk.

I'm not someone who goes hiking much - but I walk around the city a lot and I find my synapse is too much. May be not too much but too much of a hassle to empty and use! but my synapse is already heavy before I even put things in it because my everyday things are already in it. Does anyone have the same issue as me???

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Synapse 19 and I leave it packed with my normal EDC carry stuff unless I really want to use it for something else.
    For walking around a city when I want to carry a few things on my back, vs a cross body bag, I use a Luminary. It has better padding, straps, and structure than a DLBP. Sometime in the next several months, they will be back available along with a larger 14L size - that might be worth checking out if you're willing to wait.

Forum Member
    On the shores of Lake Erie
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried one around Walt Disney World a few weeks ago. It was light and easily held the few things I carried, I didn’t have many things I needed. Here’s what I had inside: 4 necklace fans, 4 still-folded- in- packages never-used throwaway rain ponchos, sometimes a power brick, a TC (my purse while there), and a popcorn bucket (bought there, good for $1.75 refills which we did several x per day.) If I remembered, I had a small bottle of sunscreen in there but not usually. It was humid and hot, so I often wore tank top straps. The DLBP straps got irritating, but didn’t stop me from wearing it again the next day. I bought the DLBP just for this trip as a tc seemed too small for what I wanted to bring to Parks, and a synapse seemed overkill. SO I brought the DLBP flattened in my s25 (carryon bag). It will be my dedicated day-trip easy-carry bag. For parks, amusement parks, zoo days, etc. Never tried a luminary, but it was more money for what I wanted (simple, light, & inexpensive but sturdy)

ETA: I have no idea how the DLBP looked on me. Probably long and silly. But it worked beautifully for my purposes, so I didn’t really care. I came on here multiple x to see if I was on “wild bag sightings” but nope!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I have a Synapse 19 and I leave it packed with my normal EDC carry stuff unless I really want to use it for something else.
    For walking around a city when I want to carry a few things on my back, vs a cross body bag, I use a Luminary. It has better padding, straps, and structure than a DLBP. Sometime in the next several months, they will be back available along with a larger 14L size - that might be worth checking out if you're willing to wait.
    I second what G2 is saying about the Luminary.

However, if you want to carry a gallon of anything Shop Bags are a must.

The Daylight Backpack is wonderful on vacation, I use it as a Packing Cube inside my Tristar and it is my EDC for day trips in the city , museums, libraries, boat excursions or visiting national, state, regional parks.

Before the Daylight Backpack was created, I used my packing Cube Backpack as a vacation VDC (Vacation Daily Carry), the Daylight Backpack is much better because of its inner organization.

A Large Shop Bag provides wonderful cushion in the on of the back pocket of the Daylight Backpack. Pockets can also fit a tablet or e-reader in front of the soft item (sweater/hoodie/wind breaker/cardigan).

The Original Large and Small Shop Bags (without zippers) are better to fold and carry in other bags. Make sure you pre-order the Original Small Shop Bags without zippers on the 24th of this month, July, because it might be the last batch made.

Order the Daylight Backpack at the same time.

My EDC, on public transports in the city is my S19 during cooler weather, the Daylight Backpack replaces it in hot weather.

What do you carry inside the S19?

You don't have to share but knowing the general volume of stuff you carry will be helpful to find out if you can easily switch from one to the other.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-23-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comment - it's very helpful. I am not going to buy the shop bags - partly because I live in the UK - the duties just get too much. I am happy just purchasing the Daylight Backpack. My plan is still to put a cloth back in the back.

Are the Freudian slips a good way to provide some padding to this bag?

When the Daylight becomes your EDC, do you put anything in it for organisation?

I carry general things everyday - Kindle, Extra headphones (my husband thinks I have too many and given I have extras he's probably right), wallet, sometimes gym clothes, a mini flask for coffee...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comment - it's very helpful. I am not going to buy the shop bags - partly because I live in the UK - the duties just get too much. I am happy just purchasing the Daylight Backpack. My plan is still to put a cloth back in the back.

Are the Freudian slips a good way to provide some padding to this bag?

When the Daylight becomes your EDC, do you put anything in it for organisation?

I carry general things everyday - Kindle, Extra headphones (my husband thinks I have too many and given I have extras he's probably right), wallet, sometimes gym clothes, a mini flask for coffee...
    The S19 FS in the front pocket. But I use one of the cafe FS's instead. It gives some structure and organization.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question, are your DLBPs halcyon or 525d?
    Edit: Also, I was waffling between the two materials, but I just saw the Halcyon Black become available and snapped it up. So excited. Hope to use this as a packing cube/day pack for travel.
    Last edited by babblinbeanz; 08-03-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: additions

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered mine in ballistic - I still haven’t received it though because I was a tool and used USPS for a package to the uk! I got ballistic because I wanted some structure. I thought about halcyon though. I think for the DLBP you made the right choice. I just wanted structure and figured if I took it into work a blue ballistic would work well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Day Pack, Not Local Grocery Shopping Bag

Thanks!
    The beauty of the Daylight Backpack is its slim profile - thin, not fat - and compete lack of unnecessary bulk (no back or bottom panel padding, thin but sturdy seatbelt-webbing backpack straps), coupled with bullet-proof 210d filament-reinforced fabric in the Halcyon editions - compared to the 50d or 70d siliconized ripstop nylon used in the best of the "stuffable" travel daypacks. Even with much superior materials, the Daylight Backpack will flatten out very efficiently to pack inside a larger conventional daypack like your Synapse, or in your checked or overhead luggage on flights.

Yes, I have carried 1.5L water bottles from overseas 7-11's in my Daylight Backpack back to my hotel room - by top haul handle if I've still got my Cafe messenger on, or by backpack straps carry if I just have my Side Effect waist pack. Naturally it can hold the other kinds of smaller items I typically pick up locally for use in my room, like oatmeal in a plastic bag, bottles of ice tea etc.

The Daylight Backpack is NOT an optimal choice for hometown grocery shopping since you are much more likely to need a thicker bag. Remember, the Daylight Backpack doesn't widen at the bottom the way a conventional teardrop shaped daypack will. SO, no gallon milk container and even 1 quart is a bad fit due to thickness.

So no, I don't think you will be happy with the Daylight Backpack for regular in-town grocery shopping. The new small and large zippered top Bihn shopping bag totes in thin, package Halcyon are a much better starting point, and they have better, Poron padded handles than the single webbing loop at the top of the Daylight Briefcase.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’ll hold a liter of milk and a bunch of other things. I wouldn’t pack it super heavy because the straps are not padded but I’ve run errands and capacity loaded the DLBP without problems.