Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Atlanta, GA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?

I'm sitting here agonizing between Olive and Cloud for my Synapse 25 purchase. I have a Cadet, an Empire Builder, and an Aeronaut 45 in Steel, but clearly that's not an option for the S25. I'll be using the bag in law enforcement/military professional settings, but generally not in the field. I have plenty of MOLLE laden bags for that setting.

If the Cloud were as dark as Steel, or the Olive were genuinely olive drab, I'd be set, but they both look too light (both for my personal aesthetic tastes and for the environment where I'll be using them).

How bright is the Olive in the real world? How light is the Cloud?

Does anyone have any experiences or photos that might help?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I did find some posts where people commented that they were concerned that the olive looked "too military." Obviously, as a former Army Sergeant, I don't see that as a bad thing, but I definitely don't see that in the photos.
    Last edited by CJoshuaV; 07-23-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no one posts a photo showing the colours side by side, I can post one later today after work (not Synapses though).

I have both Olive and Cloud items. I believe both would be acceptable - they are certainly not 'loud' colours - however I would lean towards Cloud, just because it is a 'grey'.

Of course, our standard response is to order both and return the one that doesn't work out for you (if you're in the States with the cheaper shipping).

Even if you only order one, be sure to ask at checkout for a swatch of the other fabric. It's not the same as seeing a bag in the fabric, but it's better than the computer monitors.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any ballistic Olive images I can provide, but know that the ballistic Olive is more of a warmer, slightly avocado-y green, rather than a more cool or neutral olive drab. (The old Cordura olive was on the more neutral end.) So to me, the olive ballistic leans a bit more '70s (though not to a crazy degree) than military. The ballistic olive definitely clashes with my more cool/neutral color palette, whereas the Cordura olive does not.

I find Cloud quite attractive as a color, and it definately photographs lighter than it looks in person. (I believe folks have figured out that it's about on par with Northwest Sky.) I do think it could work in this context; it's lighter than Steel but not nearly as light as it appears in many photos.

To that end, I tried to get a color comparison of Steel vs. Cloud for you, but none of my photos worked well enough to post: the Cloud by comparison ends up looking way lighter than it is in reality, which wouldn't help you here. So I'm attaching a photo of just Cloud in isolation below, which I think gives a closer representation of the color than my comparison photo attempts.

Given the choice of the two in this context, I'd go with Cloud (or hunt eBay for Steel). But know that there's also a new color called Nebulous Grey debuting soon which seems closer to Steel and is likely to proliferate into the S25s. You can see it here in the S19: https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...12362031235135

Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?-img_4710-jpg
    Last edited by kmw; 07-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Atlanta, GA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you. That's really helpful. And that photo looks much better than some of the ones on the website. Much appreciated.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloud SK with a steel 1050 ballistic OP. Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?-1519930095480-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJoshuaV View Post
    Thanks to both of you. That's really helpful. And that photo looks much better than some of the ones on the website. Much appreciated.
    The shade/lightness changes depending on the lighting, of course, and monitor settings, so I'd hope someone else chimes in to say whether they think is an accurate representation. But most definitely something to consider for your situation, IMO.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a photo of my new Daylight Briefcase....hope this helps. It's cloud and only a couple weeks old. The material is the 525 ballistic....nice stuff.....not too soft, not too stiff.

Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?-img_0335-jpg
    Last edited by Go Navy; 07-23-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think cloud might be too light for what you want. Can you wait for the s25 to be orderable in the new gray, nebulous?

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pretty good depiction of olive ballistic. I love the color because it looks like a green you can find in nature.
    Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?-img_8395-1-jpg

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scroll back to June 2nd in the linked thread for a picture of me wearing the daylight backpack in olive 525 (tried to copy pic but it didn't work, sorry)
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some photos of Steel, Cloud, and Olive... all in direct late afternoon sunlight

Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?-img_20180723_164434-jpg

Olive vs Cloud in Synapse 25 Ballistic?-img_20180723_164451-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Great representation of the colors, @G42.