Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New snaphook attachment points on Daylight Briefcase?

    My previous Daylight Briefcase was stolen a few weeks ago so I immediately snagged a replacement. The new bag has the updated snaphook attachment points. Looks like there were some very valid reasons for moving them. However, it does mention this was a proactive decision on the Daylight Briefcase as there hasn't been reports of zipper wear like on the other models.

    After carrying the new model for a couple weeks, I'm personally not a fan of the new attachment points. Given the already small for factor of the bag, bringing the attachment points closer together makes the strap/carrying ergonomics much less comfortable. I like to carry the bag high, so it hits on my lumbar area so maybe this makes it more of an issue, but I am curious if anyone has experienced a similar frustration?

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,267
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your insights, @areohbe. I'll be interested to see whether there are other responses. The way that the Daylight Briefcase carries is one of the features I like about this bag -- it's easy to access while carrying, compared to other larger bags, such as the Pilot. I think there won't be a lot of people who are in the position of being able to make your "before" and "after" design comparison of the DLBC. May I ask which fabric combination you have (or had for your previous bag)?

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been lurking here for years, but finally decided to post a note. I just today received a Side Kick (cloud/viridian) that I was hoping to use on a European trip next month. One of the things I liked about my first SK (original aubergine/island version) was the snap hooks on the strap...I like to be able to attach my travel bag to a chair/table, etc. when in a high-pickpocket area. Now the strap is attached with gate keepers, which are way too hard to open and close, and so aren't useful for clipping the bag to an object.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Thanks for your insights, @areohbe. I'll be interested to see whether there are other responses. The way that the Daylight Briefcase carries is one of the features I like about this bag -- it's easy to access while carrying, compared to other larger bags, such as the Pilot. I think there won't be a lot of people who are in the position of being able to make your "before" and "after" design comparison of the DLBC. May I ask which fabric combination you have (or had for your previous bag)?
    My first bag was halcyon, my current one is ballistic. I don't think this should really have any impact on the "pain" I am highlighting. With the attachment points moved closer to the center point of the bag there is a subtle but noticeable tightening of the strap around the next area, and the bag doesn't rest as well in the lumber area as the old version.

  5. #5
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,267
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by areohbe View Post
    My first bag was halcyon, my current one is ballistic. I don't think this should really have any impact on the "pain" I am highlighting. With the attachment points moved closer to the center point of the bag there is a subtle but noticeable tightening of the strap around the next area, and the bag doesn't rest as well in the lumber area as the old version.
    I suspect you're right that the fabric is not the determining factor in your experience here. I ordered a Cloud/Dawn DLBC just before they changed the design to try the new material. But I'm really not in a position to try this change out, since I don't need more DLBCs -- mostly I've been using the one in New Black Halcyon that predates all the new Ballistic releases.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,641
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPole View Post
    I've been lurking here for years, but finally decided to post a note. I just today received a Side Kick (cloud/viridian) that I was hoping to use on a European trip next month. One of the things I liked about my first SK (original aubergine/island version) was the snap hooks on the strap...I like to be able to attach my travel bag to a chair/table, etc. when in a high-pickpocket area. Now the strap is attached with gate keepers, which are way too hard to open and close, and so aren't useful for clipping the bag to an object.
    THIS! I love the snap hooks on the strap for the same reason. It was quick and easy for me to secure my SK to anything. I really do not like the Gate keepers for the same reason. They are too fiddly and hard to open and close when you're on the run. Please bring back the snaphooks on the SK.

  7. #7
    Forum Member Perseffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    834
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a similar note, I wore my Co-Pilot yesterday for the first time with the new attachment point. On the copilots (and Pilot) the points are in the same place at the end of the bag but have been Ďraisedí so they are higher than they were before.

    When I was wearing it over my shoulder on the right hand side, I noticed that hand kept hitting the plastic snap hook on the front end. I think itís because itís now higher up and slightly raised away from the bag rather than flat against the side of the bag. This definitely moves it away from the zip (the purpose of the design change) but unfortunately into the path of my hand as a walked.

    Not sure if this is something that will continue to bother me but it was defiantly noticeable. It forced me to swing the bag further backwards so I was wearing it almost behind me away from my hand/arms as I walked.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

  8. #8
    Forum Member daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    448
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    THIS! I love the snap hooks on the strap for the same reason. It was quick and easy for me to secure my SK to anything. I really do not like the Gate keepers for the same reason. They are too fiddly and hard to open and close when you're on the run. Please bring back the snaphooks on the SK.
    I only use my SK as a bag-in-a-bag and do use a key strap attached to the side strap attachment ...

    I had a look at the product pages mentioned in the blog post quoted above and am having trouble working out what has changed .. on the various bags - are there any before and after pictures ? (old vs new?)

    On the product page for the cadet there seems to be some pics with strap attachments at the top of the bag and some with them at the side - is this the change?

    Just happened to come looking for a new bag for 12.9 inch iPad Pro and stumbled into this thread ...
    List under construction ....

  9. #9
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    5,896
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's how this shakes out amongst our crew:

    Kat, who carries the Daylight Briefcase against her hip, finds that the adjusted shoulder strap attachment points allow her to carry the bag even more comfortably.

    Mike, who carries the Daylight Briefcase with the shoulder strap shortened quite a bit and the bag worn almost messenger-style against his lumbar area, experienced what @areohbe is describing -- he could feel the snaphook and snaphook attachment point against his back.

    We had a conversation today over in customer service in which we shared w/everyone various shoulder strap attachment point options that we considered, tested, decided against, etc. In summary, the adjustment we made to the shoulder strap attachment points was the best option and perhaps an even-better-than-the-original option considering that, when Nik designed the Daylight Briefcase, he envisioned it being carried briefcase-style: on the side of the body, against the upper hip. That said, some folks (hey @MikeV) do carry the Daylight Briefcase more messenger-style. And to those folks we say: perhaps this will inspire us to design with a Daylight Messenger.

    I realize that's not the best of news if you're happy with the design of the Daylight Briefcase and want to carry it more messenger-style. Sorry Though the zipper issue was/is incredibly rare, it is nonetheless something that we wanted to proactively address.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a second black DLBC because I really like the 525 fabric and the old version keeps sucking up dog hair (when I visit my sister in law), dust, dirt, and some white crap I canít seem to wash off.

    I was pleasantly surprised with the changes in the strap placement, however, I didnít realize that other people were having problems with it. I have yet to take the labels off and try it out myselfÖ Itís been a busy week for me.

    Either way, I love these bags and the write up that Darcy posted above, and I wish that when changes, however big or small are made in the bags, that they would be highlighted with explanation. I like how the intended use of the bag is explained, which might influence either meet purchasing it or how I use it.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Here's how this shakes out amongst our crew:

    Kat, who carries the Daylight Briefcase against her hip, finds that the adjusted shoulder strap attachment points allow her to carry the bag even more comfortably.

    Mike, who carries the Daylight Briefcase with the shoulder strap shortened quite a bit and the bag worn almost messenger-style against his lumbar area, experienced what @areohbe is describing -- he could feel the snaphook and snaphook attachment point against his back.

    We had a conversation today over in customer service in which we shared w/everyone various shoulder strap attachment point options that we considered, tested, decided against, etc. In summary, the adjustment we made to the shoulder strap attachment points was the best option and perhaps an even-better-than-the-original option considering that, when Nik designed the Daylight Briefcase, he envisioned it being carried briefcase-style: on the side of the body, against the upper hip. That said, some folks (hey @MikeV) do carry the Daylight Briefcase more messenger-style. And to those folks we say: perhaps this will inspire us to design with a Daylight Messenger.

    I realize that's not the best of news if you're happy with the design of the Daylight Briefcase and want to carry it more messenger-style. Sorry Though the zipper issue was/is incredibly rare, it is nonetheless something that we wanted to proactively address.
    Thanks Darcy! I understand the tradeoff. For my personal use, it's not optimal, but I agree that it's likely the best path forward for most folks. I would would love a Daylight "Messenger". Like Mike, I carry the bag with the shoulder strap shortened so the back rests in my lumber area.

    I'll share some more detailed thoughts later today on what I would love to see in a Daylight "Messenger".

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    197
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a need or desire for a Daylight Briefcase, but I'd definitely consider a Daylight Messenger.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    159
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    I've never had a need or desire for a Daylight Briefcase, but I'd definitely consider a Daylight Messenger.
    I love my Daylight Briefcase, it consistently floats to the top of my EDC charts... AND I'd definitely consider a Daylight Messenger

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    41
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    perhaps this will inspire us to design with a Daylight Messenger.
    This would certainly be interesting. I'm in search of a new messenger but TB doesn't have anything that really works for me. The Daylight Briefcase was close, but this new strap hook placement has me hesitant now. The Maker bag look is actually more to my liking.. but too big, lol (I know, there's the med cafe bag, but I go back and forth on the vertical look)

  15. #15
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,292
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.n View Post
    This would certainly be interesting. I'm in search of a new messenger but TB doesn't have anything that really works for me. The Daylight Briefcase was close, but this new strap hook placement has me hesitant now. The Maker bag look is actually more to my liking.. but too big, lol (I know, there's the med cafe bag, but I go back and forth on the vertical look)
    Have you considered the Parental Unit? If you do not carry big bulky items, it is a fantastic bag. It can hold an iPad inside the main pocket, or an iPad mini in the outer crescent shaped pockets. If you like lots of pockets then it is a great choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •