Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53
  1. #16
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    5,892
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Thanks very much for the additional info and videos, @Darcy @MatthewR and Kat.

    @Darcy or @MatthewR , when you have a moment, could you please confirm whether the standard handle loop with snap hook will attach to the SK on the new system? I can't quite determine if the snap hook would be wide enough to accommodate the necessary loop material, or if I should think about a hack solution for attaching a handle strap. Many thanks!
    Glad to. It's not possible to wiggle the standard handle loop on to the webbing loops on the current Side Kick. We'll see if we can come up with a new version of handle loop that works with the new Side Kick (might be a little while because we have a lot of open projects here right now).
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

  2. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Share
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    What I like about the old design is I could attach my OP Tech mini SOS strap when I have a heavier load. I also use it on the PCSB too. In my opinion, it really makes for a comfortable carry. Sort of sad the design has changed and I won't be able to use that strap on the new SKs.
    I was/am looking at purchasing a Side Kick and had planned to get the OP Tech mini as well. Maybe I'm not picturing the new gatekeeper arrangement correctly, but can't you remove the hardware from the OP Tech and run the strap through the gatekeeper? No doubt it would be a pain to detach and attach the hardware when swapping bags, but it seems doable. I'm probably not picturing the situation right.

  3. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    197
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Glad to. It's not possible to wiggle the standard handle loop on to the webbing loops on the current Side Kick. We'll see if we can come up with a new version of handle loop that works with the new Side Kick (might be a little while because we have a lot of open projects here right now).
    Cool, thanks very much for confirming, @Darcy. re: new handle loop: Totally understand time-wise, and honestly, I completely understand if it may not even be worth your effort to make a handle loop specifically here. At some point I'll have a think to see what might be finagled with existing hardware. Thank you!

  4. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    570
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spooneb View Post
    I was/am looking at purchasing a Side Kick and had planned to get the OP Tech mini as well. Maybe I'm not picturing the new gatekeeper arrangement correctly, but can't you remove the hardware from the OP Tech and run the strap through the gatekeeper? No doubt it would be a pain to detach and attach the hardware when swapping bags, but it seems doable. I'm probably not picturing the situation right.
    Yes, it will most likely work, but as you said it would be a pain when swapping bags, which I do frequently. The other option is to purchase another OP Tech mini SOS strap and use that one as a dedicated strap to use with gatekeepers. Frankly, I am not fond of taking Gatekeepers on and off bags. That's why generally I keep at least the UMP on my Smart Alecs.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

  5. #20
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,255
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    What I like about the old design is I could attach my OP Tech mini SOS strap when I have a heavier load. I also use it on the PCSB too. In my opinion, it really makes for a comfortable carry. Sort of sad the design has changed and I won't be able to use that strap on the new SKs.
    @pammy,

    This reminds me that you might be able to use the hack that I showed for adapting the Field Journal Notebook, which uses the same Gatekeeper shoulder strap that they now use for the redesigned Side Kick, to switch to a mini SOS (or other) strap:
    I'll excerpt a quote with embedded picture

    [QUOTE=moriond;125133]
    Some forum members have removed the ring binder section and substituted painting kits inside the FJN. You can also hack the strap attachment points of the FJN, so that you can switch to a heavier strap if you're carrying more weight inside the FJN. This strap hack, where you use a pair of 1" triangle clips ordered from the Parts page, is described in my post:



    I can't check this out for certain (without actually detaching the triangle points of the original Side Kick, and I'm not willing to do that), but examination of the webbing ends of the Side Kick makes this seem possible. This was a much better solution for the FJN, because the location of the attachment points on the front and back of the FJN made for a more stable carry.

    Your alternative solution of getting a second Mini SOS and hooking the end through a (double) Gatekeeper clip from parts would also work as a stable solution. But, as you say, you lose the flexibility of switching the Mini SOS strap to other bags, without rethreading the strap ends.

    HTH

    moriond

  6. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Share
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    That's why generally I keep at least the UMP on my Smart Alecs.
    I keep my UMP on my SA all the time too for that exact reason. And it’s a handy place to stash my sunglasses case Please bring back the snaphook on the SK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    570
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @moriond, for recalling that hack. I definitely will try the 1" triangles if and when I get a SK with the new strap changes. I might just get another mini strap, though. I remember getting it from Amazon and they're not expensive, maybe about $20. For now I have enough Side Kicks so it might be a moot point unless it comes out in a fabric I can't live without.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

  8. #23
    Forum Member Perseffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    835
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of great suggestions here regarding hacks to make the Side Kick work in the various ways we all use it. And Darcy suggests a possible mod to the wrist strap in the future to suit the new gatekeeper design.

    Is it just me or is the simplest option not just to go back to having triangle clips?

    I realise there is the zip ‘wear’ reason for the redesign but everything is a trade off and we seem to have traded off a lot of functionality for a reduction of risk to wear on one component.

    Sometimes the simplest option is the best. I would rather live with some potential zip wear than loose functionality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

  9. #24
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    210
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This quick pic shows what the new strap attachment point looks like with strap removed. Side Kick (right) attached to Smart Alec with 1 inch single gatekeeper clip.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,390
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Is it just me or is the simplest option not just to go back to having triangle clips?

    I realise there is the zip ‘wear’ reason for the redesign but everything is a trade off and we seem to have traded off a lot of functionality for a reduction of risk to wear on one component.

    Sometimes the simplest option is the best. I would rather live with some potential zip wear than loose functionality.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand your POV... however the problem is that with their good warranty, TB takes the liability of wear due to design... not the individual buyer

  11. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    82
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I see a lot of great suggestions here regarding hacks to make the Side Kick work in the various ways we all use it. And Darcy suggests a possible mod to the wrist strap in the future to suit the new gatekeeper design.

    Is it just me or is the simplest option not just to go back to having triangle clips?

    I realise there is the zip ‘wear’ reason for the redesign but everything is a trade off and we seem to have traded off a lot of functionality for a reduction of risk to wear on one component.

    Sometimes the simplest option is the best. I would rather live with some potential zip wear than loose functionality.
    +1, especially when the problem this change is intended to solve happened to *one* person with a Side Kick, and *zero* people with a DLBC. I think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" still applies.

  12. #27
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,949
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for triangle clips. I don't use my Side Kick too often, but when I do, the ability to quickly add or remove the strap is important to me.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  13. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    110
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider it positive that TB has well communicated and taken proactive changes due to issues on some products - even on products that they consider could be prone but no or few reported cases so far. That’s their reputation and quality values.

    However as a daily Side Kick user, I do agree with many comments and find the triangle clips ideal for ease of attachment and functionality. I would be reluctant to buy further Side Kicks without similar triangle clip design.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 07-28-2018 at 05:06 AM.

  14. #29
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,050
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the swivel hook strap much better than the Gatekeeper one.


    I have the Gatekeeper strap on my FJN, which is perfect because it helps keeping it flat when opened on my lap. For this and many other applications, I appreciate the sturdiness of the Gatekeeper mechanism.

    But, I favor straps attachment points, especially the Triangle Clip, that enable the use of the Simple Strap or the Swivel Hook Strap or, even a silver strap to dress up the SK, SE or TC.

    When I read the blog, my understanding was, that the attachment point would be lower, to prevent abrasion to the zipper area, not that it would be replaced by a Gatekeeper mechanism.


    The Triangle Metal Hook part might fit into the loop to use all kind of clipped straps and the Double Carabiners will add the swivel. But wasabi Double Carabiners cannot be incorporated into a dressy look, unless the SK, SE or TC are some shade of green.

    If TB still carries the Swivel Strap, the Triangle Metal Hook part hack, can transform the fabric loop, into a Triangle Clip of sorts.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-28-2018 at 11:32 AM.

  15. #30
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    18
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems I’m in the minority here. I just got my new side kick this week and I really like the new strap. It seems smoother, less abrasive, almost more “professional” and less “canvas,” if that makes sense. Like the old cafe bag strap vs the new cafe bag strap. The lack of swivel worried me at first because I hate to have to fiddle with a twisted strap, I just throw my bag on cross body style and go, and it is really easy to get the swivel strap flat. But the new strap doesn’t seem to get as twisted, presumably because it didn’t swivel itself around when I took it off.

    All that being said, I don’t unclip my strap very often. It is a pain to undo the gatekeeper hooks and it would make me frustrated if I had to do it a lot. But I do adjust the length every day based on wardrobe/weather/event and the new strap does great with that. Overall it’s been a happy surprise for me because I didn’t realize it had changed until after I ordered it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •