Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please bring back the snaphook on the SK.

Someone mentioned this on another thread, and I thought it needed its own thread to get a little attention.

Please bring back the snaphook attachment on the SK. It made it quick and easy to attach the SK to something like a chair or table leg, or through a belt, to prevent purse snatching. The gate keepers are too hard to open and close quickly. This is important for traveling, when you need to secure your bags, and then get up and run at a moments notice.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @BWeaves,

I don't know whether you read the linked blog post: https://blog.tombihn.com/updates-sna...oint-placement In that other thread (which was about the shifted attachment point placement on the DLBC). This issue came to a head overlapping the period when you were on travel in Germany. For what it's worth, I haven't seen the issue with the zipper on wither my DLBC or Side Kick fraying that prompted this design change, and I agree that I prefer to use the Side Kick with the Snap Hook straps.

Among other things, it means that you can attach the SK to an airplane seat pocket using double carabiner clips, as @perseffect recently showed in a photo of his Mars Red/Dawn Side Kick (purchased just before they changed the design)

However, @SPole's post about the gatekeepers used on the SK strap in that thread about the DLBC strap attachment points was the first response that I'd read about this change on the forums.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first saw the blog post today after seeing the link in that other thread. I double-checked the SK page, and the written description states the bag has the triangle-shaped attachment points and the snap hook strap. All but two photos show the old version of the bag with the old strap. I called TB and spoke with Cody about this, before packing my new SK for return.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, thanks for calling this topic to my attention @BWeaves. I remember when the change was announced, but I didn't pay attention to it thinking I wasn't going to order one of those bags anytime soon and I was super busy with life and didn't read all the details of the changes. But that change can be a deal breaker for me too. I have a couple of SKs I was thinking of destashing, but now I think I will hold on to them because I know I would not be happy with the new ones.

I am surprised that there are prechange pictures on the Side Kick page. That could lead to disappointment when receiving the bag. Just my two cents, though.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I am surprised that there are prechange pictures on the Side Kick page. That could lead to disappointment when receiving the bag. Just my two cents, though.
    +1

The new attachment means the strap doesn't swivel anymore, right? For anyone who's tried it, did that bother you?

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree here about the usefulness of the triangle attachment points. Iíve used them in 3 ways

- to attach to seat backs on planes
    - to add a wrist strap in order to easily pull it out of bags whilst travelling
    - to quickly (and quickly is the important word here) add and remove the strap whilst travelling to either wear the bag or to then use it in another form (in bag or seat back)

The point is that the triangle attachment points make it efficient and flexible especially on the go. The gatekeeper points do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As another point of reference, I just wanted to say I hope the triangle attachment and snap hooks come back as well. The combo is quick and easy to attach/detach from and I like the ability of it to swivel.

I'm fairly young and rock climb on a regular basis and even I find the gate keeper straps cumbersome to detach at times.

I would love to pick up an additional side kick in the future if it was offered in nebulous grey, but I likely wouldn't with the new attachment method.

Either way, the careful thought to design and protectiveness to fix what may possibly become an issue is appreciated.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Whoa, thanks for calling this topic to my attention @BWeaves. I remember when the change was announced, but I didn't pay attention to it thinking I wasn't going to order one of those bags anytime soon and I was super busy with life and didn't read all the details of the changes. But that change can be a deal breaker for me too. I have a couple of SKs I was thinking of destashing, but now I think I will hold on to them because I know I would not be happy with the new ones.

Huh, like pammy, I'd noted the change but hadn't really looked into it. I was going to trade a current SK for a re-purchase later, but now I might consider hanging onto my old Side Kick as well.

I carry my SK as a clutch rather than a shoulder bag, using just a wrist strap. Judging from the images on the product page, I guess that wouldn't be possible now with the new attachment, or is there still a method I'm not realizing?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback about the new shoulder strap attachment style of the Side Kick.

We've removed the photos that showed the previous shoulder strap attachment style, I added the two quick photos I took when we announced the change, and I updated the description so that it describes the current shoulder strap attachment style.

Our sense here at TB is that carrying the Side Kick with the new shoulder strap attachment method is actually an even better carrying experience than how it used to carry with the previous shoulder strap attachment method. Granted, we don't personally detach the shoulder straps from the Side Kick, nor do we loop ours through a chair -- those two things are indeed more difficult now. It's possible, though, that doing those two things could be achieved perhaps more easily by trying the following:

The Secret To Operating Gatekeeper Clips:

The key to making it much easier is to push on the metal bar. As @MatthewR describes it: "Push the bar in, squeeze, and pull the bar over."

And.... three ideas for how to loop your Side Kick through a chair without removing the shoulder strap:

Many thanks go to @MatthewR and Kat for making these videos and to Cody for sharing the idea of how the Side Kick could wrap around a chair.

Though we investigated the various shoulder strap attachment point options for the Side Kick pretty darn thoroughly when we originally visited this, we'll continue to do some thinking about all of this too.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Among other things, it means that you can attach the SK to an airplane seat pocket using double carabiner clips, as @perseffect recently showed in a photo of his Mars Red/Dawn Side Kick (purchased just before they changed the design)
    @Darcy, do you have a solution for this use case?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy, thanks so much for updating the SK product page and photos, and thanks to the crew for the videos! Iím sure these will help some folks. Unfortunately, I need/want a strap attachment that can be clipped with one hand, so I had to send the lovely cloud/veridian SK back for someone else to enjoy. My heavier ballistic aubergine/island SK will continue to be useful (and Iím excited to try out a Travel Cubelet when it arrives tomorrow!).

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2” S-carabiner clip fastened in the loops where a waist strap attaches might work. It’s a bit tight wiggling the clip into the loop, but it fits.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I like about the old design is I could attach my OP Tech mini SOS strap when I have a heavier load. I also use it on the PCSB too. In my opinion, it really makes for a comfortable carry. Sort of sad the design has changed and I won't be able to use that strap on the new SKs.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

Our sense here at TB is that carrying the Side Kick with the new shoulder strap attachment method is actually an even better carrying experience than how it used to carry with the previous shoulder strap attachment method. Granted, we don't personally detach the shoulder straps from the Side Kick, nor do we loop ours through a chair -- those two things are indeed more difficult now. It's possible, though, that doing those two things could be achieved perhaps more easily by trying the following:

Many thanks go to @MatthewR and Kat for making these videos and to Cody for sharing the idea of how the Side Kick could wrap around a chair.
    Thanks very much for the additional info and videos, @Darcy @MatthewR and Kat.

@Darcy or @MatthewR , when you have a moment, could you please confirm whether the standard handle loop with snap hook will attach to the SK on the new system? I can't quite determine if the snap hook would be wide enough to accommodate the necessary loop material, or if I should think about a hack solution for attaching a handle strap. Many thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loma View Post
    @Darcy, do you have a solution for this use case?
    I don't have much experience with this hack myself, but using a basket truck to approximate the airplane seat pocket.....

Please bring back the snaphook on the SK.-side-effect-pocket-truck-2-jpg

Please bring back the snaphook on the SK.-side-kick-2-jpg

Wiggling the Double Carabiner through either the shoulder strap webbing loop or the waist belt webbing loop would work. Or perhaps try the suggestion offered by @Wanderlust77
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast