Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Reading, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was UPS
    Cadet(EDC), Large Cafť Bag, WesternFlyer w. Packing cubes, Side Effect, Small Travel Tray, Clear Organiser Wallet.

Forum Member
    Yorkshire, England, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Jeez... you guys need to vacation in Seattle more often... (kidding! I know it's a long haul)
    Im seriously debating it hahahaha
    Tom Bihn Newbie- HAVE: Synapse 19 (cloud grey & Island blue)
    WISHLIST: Medium cafe bag, Synapse 25, travel tray, 13 inch MacBook cache, iPad mini cache, Aeronaut 45 (grey/&UV), Spiff Kit, Side Kick

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Thank you for your input - did you ever try USPS? I considered the 45 but that alone would have been 50% of the order so it wasnít feasible.

Let us know how that goes! Iíll tell you how my order goes!
    No, I have not tried USPS International. I think it is only available as option, at least for Europe, for small orders under 50$? I canít imagine having the willpower to be that restrained when ordering! Small value items just get put on my wishlist until I have a specific need or threshold justification to pay the UPS 45$. Fully agree that 45$ UPS shipping is a big percentage for a moderate sized order, but I donít have any issue with the 45$ value of the UPS service - and being flatrate it is a bargaing if placing or saving up large orders.

London, England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Jeez... you guys need to vacation in Seattle more often... (kidding! I know it's a long haul)
    Decided to do exactly that! Stumbled across the website and fell in love with the bags. Looked at shipping costs, then the price of cheap no-frills airline flights, and decided that I would rather just book a trip. Ordered my bags and will be there in about 6 weeks to collect and to see Seattle for the first time. Everyone thinks that I am crazy when I tell them why I have booked the holiday!!!

Forum Member
    Yorkshire, England, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered my Synapse 19 with a snake charmer, a couple of key straps and a clear pouch on Monday, and I picked up from the UPS collection point today (Friday). Really impressed Smilie
    Tom Bihn Newbie- HAVE: Synapse 19 (cloud grey & Island blue)
    WISHLIST: Medium cafe bag, Synapse 25, travel tray, 13 inch MacBook cache, iPad mini cache, Aeronaut 45 (grey/&UV), Spiff Kit, Side Kick

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For USPS (US postal service) small items have usually taken a couple of weeks I think. Itís usually small forum gifts that have come this way.

For UPS (the courier company) its a flat 5 working days for me almost always. Wether itís one bag or multiple bags in an order. Always the same for $45.

Iím always blown away by this as the $10 UPS east coast service (for my US friends there) is 6 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I’m always blown away by this as the $10 UPS east coast service (for my US friends there) is 6 days.

Planes vs trucks: 3,000+ truck miles across the US plus accumulating & sorting - that's what takes so long... vs accumulating & sorting and one giant cargo plane...

I've been meaning to ask, and please feel free to tell me to butt out...but since you travel so much including to the US, have you ever ordered for delivery to your US hotel...? I know the timing would have to work out, but most hotels (especially if you've stayed there before) will hold a package for you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd just provide an update to those who are interested in case it's helpful to anyone in the future.
    - Ordered on 25 July and dispatched same day
    - Left Seattle on 26 July
    - Arrived in San Francisco on 29 July
    - Departed the US (from San Francisco) on 30 July
    - Arrived in London early 31 July.

Of course it still needs to go through customs, so this isn't a case of me getting this tomorrow! I think it will take a few days in customs and it may be delivered either late this week or early next (they'll probably leave a card saying I need to pay and the delivery would need to be rescheduled). Wish I could do this over the phone or online like you can with UPS to save some time and inefficiency. but whatever. Will report back, if it interests anyone, what the duty/taxes/fees are and when it's delivered.

Forum Member
    NE UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my S25 took a couple of days to clear customs at Stansted, no more. From ordering to delivery took six days. I rang UPS to pay the customs charges in advance, but they told me they could only accept payment on line or over the phone when the package was listed as 'Out For Delivery' - that's to say, on the very day of delivery. In the end I just paid the delivery man; I wrote him a cheque.

I'll be interested to see how much your customs charges amount to. Last year my order and delivery charges totalled almost bang on £200, and the customs charge was £39.08. But the delivery man told me that the charge levied seemed to be almost a matter of luck: he'd seen packages ostensibly worth less than mine charged at higher rates, and vice versa. And sometimes a package makes it through with no charge at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amallen View Post
    Last year my S25 took a couple of days to clear customs at Stansted, no more. From ordering to delivery took six days. I rang UPS to pay the customs charges in advance, but they told me they could only accept payment on line or over the phone when the package was listed as 'Out For Delivery' - that's to say, on the very day of delivery. In the end I just paid the delivery man; I wrote him a cheque.

I'll be interested to see how much your customs charges amount to. Last year my order and delivery charges totalled almost bang on £200, and the customs charge was £39.08. But the delivery man told me that the charge levied seemed to be almost a matter of luck: he'd seen packages ostensibly worth less than mine charged at higher rates, and vice versa. And sometimes a package makes it through with no charge at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Thank you, I will let you know what the charge is. I got it sent with USPS rather than UPS. It was $30. But let's see how efficient it is compared to UPS. I'm going to see if I can work from home on the day it's going to be delivered and also hold a whole lot of cash and change because I haven't used cheques in years (I'm not sure I even have a cheque book?).

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Thank you, I will let you know what the charge is. I got it sent with USPS rather than UPS. It was $30. But let's see how efficient it is compared to UPS. I'm going to see if I can work from home on the day it's going to be delivered and also hold a whole lot of cash and change because I haven't used cheques in years (I'm not sure I even have a cheque book?).
    In my experience TB packages clear customs within 1 to 2 days, the speed is usually a good indication of whether you've been hit with custom fees Smilie

If customs fees need to be paid then, before the Royal Mail will deliver, they send you a card telling you how much you owe. The fees can be paid online and you can schedule delivery at the same time, not sure if the next day is an option or if you have to give 48 hours notice. Alternatively, you can take the card to the delivery office where your parcel is being held and pay with cash, some DOs also let you pay by card.

If the online tracking (you can input the USPS tracking number into the Royal Mail website's tracking) shows that delivery was attempted and you know that it wasn't (either you were in or the Postie didn't leave a card), don't be alarmed, this just means that they're holding your package because fees are due. The card usually arrives a couple of days later.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    In my experience TB packages clear customs within 1 to 2 days, the speed is usually a good indication of whether you've been hit with custom fees Smilie

If customs fees need to be paid then, before the Royal Mail will deliver, they send you a card telling you how much you owe. The fees can be paid online and you can schedule delivery at the same time, not sure if the next day is an option or if you have to give 48 hours notice. Alternatively, you can take the card to the delivery office where your parcel is being held and pay with cash, some DOs also let you pay by card.

If the online tracking (you can input the USPS tracking number into the Royal Mail website's tracking) shows that delivery was attempted and you know that it wasn't (either you were in or the Postie didn't leave a card), don't be alarmed, this just means that they're holding your package because fees are due. The card usually arrives a couple of days later.
    Still. In. Customs. UGH!!!

No sign as yet on the bag! The USPS tracking says "Your item departed a transfer airport in HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM on July 31, 2018 at 7:19 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination." and the Royal Mail tracking says it's about to leave the originating country! It's been saying this since Monday/Tues. Sigh...

I'm assuming this means I will be hit with some custom charge. But I just want the bag now!

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve never ordered anything where I could choose the cheeper USPS option. Itís always defaulted to the $45 UPS option.

Now UPS means that you always get charged customs (USPS seems like thereís a chance you might not). But you do get very predictable 5 working day delivery and great tracking.

I even use the UPS app to schedule deliveries, sign for the package if Iím going to be out and even pay the customs fee online.

For $45 itís an awesome service.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Iíve never ordered anything where I could choose the cheeper USPS option. Itís always defaulted to the $45 UPS option.

Now UPS means that you always get charged customs (USPS seems like thereís a chance you might not). But you do get very predictable 5 working day delivery and great tracking.

I even use the UPS app to schedule deliveries, sign for the package if Iím going to be out and even pay the customs fee online.

For $45 itís an awesome service.

Now that Iíve used USPS, I agree that $15 more makes it worth while. I was just being cheap and didnít want to spend the extra.

I think my order weight/amount may have been low enough for a $30 service. I got $5 zipper cords and a daylight backpack which is $80. But if I got a Synapse I wouldnít have a choice.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: it’s at the delivery office! However I didn’t receive a card! I called Royal Mail and they said until I get the card I can’t pick it up! Ugh so frustrating!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast