Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any synapse 19/25 owners have this problem?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any Synapse 19/25 owners out there have had this issue before. The inside of the bag in the larger front pocket (water bottle pocket) has started to peel/discolour and the fabricís integrity/strength appears to have been compromised.

Iíve had the bag for about 3 years and 10 months so almost 4 years. And everything else looks good to be honest, but it has peeled in other areas on the inside though.

I donít know what could have done this as all I carry in that pocket now is a kindle. I used to carry a reusable water bottle but I stopped that a few years ago (I just got an extra one in the office). I basically take this bag to work and back and travel a bit with it. So Iím surprised. In fact after this long with the bag I was so impressed I even just bought a Daylight backpack! I thought maybe it's the weather but I live in London which isn't exactly extreme.

So has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal?

Let me know if this has happened to you and your thoughts, thanks! I'm having issues uploading the photo - i hope it shows up or uploads with the link below.

https://ibb.co/hxBcw8
    Last edited by TorontoSS; 07-27-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the urethane coating that has started peeling. I have had that happen on all my bags of all brands after a certain age (4 years doesnít sound old though). The good news is that it doesnít hurt the integrity of the fabric though, and I have heard there is a way to restore the water resistant coating by applying a product to it. I am sure someone will chime in with details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is coming to 2 years old and there is an area inside the bag near the top that isn't lined with 200 halcyon, and that area is suffering some discloration.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a coincidence, I just noticed the exact same thing on my S19 about a week ago. I've had mine about 19 months so it was a big surprise to me too. I emailed customer service and they said it was normal wear. Have uploaded a photo. Not sure if you can see it clearly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by einapoo View Post
    What a coincidence, I just noticed the exact same thing on my S19 about a week ago. I've had mine about 19 months so it was a big surprise to me too. I emailed customer service and they said it was normal wear. Have uploaded a photo. Not sure if you can see it clearly
    I did the same - I contacted customer service but it is normal wear and tear. On mine it is only visible if you flip up the main pocket.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this something that only happens on the inside on the bag? I'm undecided on whether or not to order a Ballistic S25 or a Halcyon S25. If this is something that I can expect to happen on the outside of a Halcyon bag after a few years then that'll make my choice pretty easy.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the coating is on the inside only. Mine isnít actually peeling; it is only whitening on the inside. Outside of all my halcyon still looks brand new after several years.

Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, I have an REI bag made of a different nylon fabric (not halcyon) that had urethane coating on the inside that eventually peeled off as well. I suspect every coating like this will eventually dry out and peel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
    Is this something that only happens on the inside on the bag? I'm undecided on whether or not to order a Ballistic S25 or a Halcyon S25. If this is something that I can expect to happen on the outside of a Halcyon bag after a few years then that'll make my choice pretty easy.
    I don't think it's an issue now because I believe all new S25s are fully lined right up to the top. So even if there is whitening I Guess you wouldn't see it.

I have to say, on mine, the waterproofing still remains totally fine. I live in SE Asia and the bag is exposed to monsoon rains. No complains. I smile a little when my colleagues complain when they are caught in the rain with their Tumis.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry and just to add. Yes, I have only observed it on the inside, not outside.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm destashing many of my bags and have noticed the coating flaking off the most near friction points - where a sketchbook's corners always push and rub against the interior of the bag, for example. I have noticed the whitening effect on the interior of older bags but have not seen anything on the exterior (and I've got some it-was-called-Dyneema-then bags which have seen heavy use).