Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    117
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Daylight Backpack + Synapse 19 or 25?

    There are many many Synapse 19 vs 25 threads out there. But somehow still couldnít find an answer, so apologies in advance.

    I currently have a S19 and think itís awesome. Iím a woman whoís 5ft 6 or 5 ft 7 and about 150lbs. I think the bag sits well on me. BUT Iíve had it for almost 4 years and there are days when I feel like a turtle. When it gets overstuffed. It happens if I stop and get groceries, or if I have to go to a meeting which isnít in my office. So not an everyday thing but also not out of the ordinary for me having to need to stuff my bag.

    However, I recently purchased a Daylight Backpack in ballistic (if that matters). It hasnít arrived yet (and I live in the UK and chose USPS so it may take forever - so Iím relying on others views right now). I got it for weekends/groceries/walks and envisaged keeping my s19 as my EDC.

    However, I also decided the next time a friend comes from the US Iíll buy myself a new black synapse (in a corporate environment the orange codura doesnít go).

    But Iíve been thinking - when I replace it should I get a 25 or a 19? I canít keep both (my husband will disown me!) I donít want a massive bag. I had a massive one in the past but it was one of those ones you got from IT. It may have been Targus. Wasnít great.

    Iíve read some people believe the 25 is too much for EDC. But some think itís great for EDC. Can the Daylight also work as EDC?
    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Forum Member marytattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,731
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    There are many many Synapse 19 vs 25 threads out there. But somehow still couldnít find an answer, so apologies in advance.

    I currently have a S19 and think itís awesome. Iím a woman whoís 5ft 6 or 5 ft 7 and about 150lbs. I think the bag sits well on me. BUT Iíve had it for almost 4 years and there are days when I feel like a turtle. When it gets overstuffed. It happens if I stop and get groceries, or if I have to go to a meeting which isnít in my office. So not an everyday thing but also not out of the ordinary for me having to need to stuff my bag.

    However, I recently purchased a Daylight Backpack in ballistic (if that matters). It hasnít arrived yet (and I live in the UK and chose USPS so it may take forever - so Iím relying on others views right now). I got it for weekends/groceries/walks and envisaged keeping my s19 as my EDC.

    However, I also decided the next time a friend comes from the US Iíll buy myself a new black synapse (in a corporate environment the orange codura doesnít go).

    But Iíve been thinking - when I replace it should I get a 25 or a 19? I canít keep both (my husband will disown me!) I donít want a massive bag. I had a massive one in the past but it was one of those ones you got from IT. It may have been Targus. Wasnít great.

    Iíve read some people believe the 25 is too much for EDC. But some think itís great for EDC. Can the Daylight also work as EDC?
    Thoughts?
    See what you think when your DLBP comes. I think it's a great EDC bag. If it's ok for your work EDC to be a backpack, it's "dressier". It has organization. You might consider getting FS for the front pocket to add "office" organization - space for pens phone, etc. The cafe FS's work as does the S19. They also add a bit of structure to the DLBP.

    I have one in aubergine and one in Nordic. I personally think it's more of an EDC than the S19. You might also carry a shop bag for the grocery stops.

    HTH.

    Mary

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    506
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The framesheet for the s25 was a real game changer for me, similarly I believe a framesheet for the s19 may help you too. With the framesheet in the s25 the bag felt like it had no weight at all and that's with it fully stuffed. I am purchasing one for my s19 and I'll let you know how it performs.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    117
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    See what you think when your DLBP comes. I think it's a great EDC bag. If it's ok for your work EDC to be a backpack, it's "dressier". It has organization. You might consider getting FS for the front pocket to add "office" organization - space for pens phone, etc. The cafe FS's work as does the S19. They also add a bit of structure to the DLBP.

    I have one in aubergine and one in Nordic. I personally think it's more of an EDC than the S19. You might also carry a shop bag for the grocery stops.

    HTH.

    Mary

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Thank you Mary. So it’s good enough as an EDC? That is good to know. I actually recently got an FS for the S19, I will see if that works well with the DLBP.

    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    The framesheet for the s25 was a real game changer for me, similarly I believe a framesheet for the s19 may help you too. With the framesheet in the s25 the bag felt like it had no weight at all and that's with it fully stuffed. I am purchasing one for my s19 and I'll let you know how it performs.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I never understood what the frame really is for. I didn’t look into it though to be honest. For someone who just goes to work and back with their bag and does some groceries is it worth it? I hear everyone saying it’s a game changer though. And also doesn’t it use up more room?

  5. #5
    Forum Member marytattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,731
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DLBP is the kind of bag you can forget you're wearing! And it doesn't look clunky or like you're ready for a hike, which in my opinion makes it a better backpack for most work situations. And, not to stereotype, it also feels more appropriate for a woman in a work environment as well. Unless you're working as a wilderness guide, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Thank you Mary. So itís good enough as an EDC? That is good to know. I actually recently got an FS for the S19, I will see if that works well with the DLBP.



    I never understood what the frame really is for. I didnít look into it though to be honest. For someone who just goes to work and back with their bag and does some groceries is it worth it? I hear everyone saying itís a game changer though. And also doesnít it use up more room?
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    117
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    The DLBP is the kind of bag you can forget you're wearing! And it doesn't look clunky or like you're ready for a hike, which in my opinion makes it a better backpack for most work situations. And, not to stereotype, it also feels more appropriate for a woman in a work environment as well. Unless you're working as a wilderness guide, of course.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    That’s both witty and helpful! Thank you! And you are right it’s more sleek and appropriate looking if you walk into a meeting room with that. I think I will try out the DLBP, and see if that can be used as an EDC for some days and I may look into getting a S25.

    I’d still welcome other thoughts though.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,094
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    So it’s good enough as an EDC? That is good to know. I actually recently got an FS for the S19, I will see if that works well with the DLBP.

    I never understood what the frame really is for. I didn’t look into it though to be honest. For someone who just goes to work and back with their bag and does some groceries is it worth it? I hear everyone saying it’s a game changer though. And also doesn’t it use up more room?

    The DLBP is a vacation and hot weather EDC.

    I was able to use my EDC S19, on one vacation, the carry on rules allowed a carry on (Aeronaut 45), a laptop bag (S19) and a purse (Small Cafe Bag), it was in late spring and it was usually not very warm.

    The other vacation was in a warm weather area, in the middle of winter. I used my Daylight Backpack as a Packing Cube Backpack, then as EDC, it was an experiment and I had time to check if it would work.

    It did, EDC consist of 2 3DOC, 2 Size 1 Travel Stuff Sacks, 1 size 4 Travel Stuff Sack, a Side Effect, a Field Journal Notebook (roughly the size of the Side Kick), a Kobo tablet (the size of an iPad Mini) in a Large Padded Pouch.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    117
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The DLBP is a vacation and hot weather EDC.

    I was able to use my EDC S19, on one vacation, the carry on rules allowed a carry on (Aeronaut 45), a laptop bag (S19) and a purse (Small Cafe Bag), it was in late spring and it was usually not very warm.

    The other vacation was in a warm weather area, in the middle of winter. I used my Daylight Backpack as a Packing Cube Backpack, then as EDC, it was an experiment and I had time to check if it would work.

    It did, EDC consist of 2 3DOC, 2 Size 1 Travel Stuff Sacks, 1 size 4 Travel Stuff Sack, a Side Effect, a Field Journal Notebook (roughly the size of the Side Kick), a Kobo tablet (the size of an iPad Mini) in a Large Padded Pouch.
    It sounds like you have both DLBP and the S19. Do you have an S25?

    It seems you use it more according to weather. I can see that. I live in London and the s19 is HOT when coming home. It’s partly why I want a DLBP.

    Does anyone have a DLBP and a S19 or S25? Thoughts of one or the other?

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Share
    Southern California
    Posts
    45
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife, who is just about your size, is a fitness instructor and uses the DLBP as her EDC. She carries an extra set of gym clothes, a gym towel, a very light sweater, a 20-oz. hydroflask, a large Moleskine notebook, an extra-large Moleskine notebook, three or four pens, a wallet, and then a mini q-kit and side effect that also fit inside the DLBP to carry all the stuff that would otherwise go in a purse.

    (I know all this because I spent 2+ years getting her to use a TB bag, and when she got it, I naturally had to be involved in optimizing it.)

    All of the above pretty well fills the bag. If she had to carry a fleece or anything bulkier than a puffy vest, it wouldn't fit.

    I considered getting a DLBP to use as an EDC where I work in a conservative office environment with lots of paper files. I decided it wouldn't work, since the depth of the bag wouldn't permit much more than a laptop and a 2-inch-thick file folder or binder. This last paragraph is mostly hypothetical, though; I haven't tried to fit these items in the DLBP.

  10. #10
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,669
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an S19 that I use a lot as an EDC. Personally, I don't like the DLBP because unless I'm carrying a laptop, I don't think it has enough structure. I get that you can layer/shingle items into the pockets to add padding & structure, but that's not usually the type of stuff I'm carrying, so the S19 suits me better.
    My S19 is Black ballistic / Canyon, no one think twice of it as being work appropriate where I am (west coast US).

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    250
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Synapse 19, bought an S25 for those times it wasn't quite big enough and found the S25 too big! The main compartment in the S25 feels about twice the size of the S19, if that helps you picture it.
    Another factor you may wish to consider is sticky-outy-ness, if you are using public transport. The S25 is another couple of inches deeper than the S19 and this seems to take it from 'daysac' to 'biff people when I turn round' in an instant :/
    I'm a massive fan of the DLBP for urban use because of its sleek profile which feels quite opposite to the S25. It is smaller than the S19 though.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    117
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I have a Synapse 19, bought an S25 for those times it wasn't quite big enough and found the S25 too big! The main compartment in the S25 feels about twice the size of the S19, if that helps you picture it.
    Another factor you may wish to consider is sticky-outy-ness, if you are using public transport. The S25 is another couple of inches deeper than the S19 and this seems to take it from 'daysac' to 'biff people when I turn round' in an instant :/
    I'm a massive fan of the DLBP for urban use because of its sleek profile which feels quite opposite to the S25. It is smaller than the S19 though.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I think you’re right about it being public transport friendly. The thing is - at times the S19 isn’t super friendly because it becomes a big turtle shell. I am going to see how often that happens though because generally the photos of the 25 look so so big. I think it’s the width that scares me a bit and it looks less sleek.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •