Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect strap clip comes off o-ring suddenly, dropping bag to ground

Hi, TB--

I've got two Side Effects that I use quite often. Every so often the strap will twist in just the wrong way for one of the plastic clips to come right off the O-ring, and the bag will fall to the ground.

If you could, please redesign the strap with some sort of plastic locking clips and sell it separately so that I can upgrade my straps. For now. I will use some tricks to keep the clip from opening, such as using heat shrink tubing to keep the clip from opening or using wire to tie the clip to the O-ring.

Thanks in advance!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really interested in a visual. I've never had this happen to me so it's hard to imagine. Maybe your strap is defective?
    Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    Hi, TB--

I've got two Side Effects that I use quite often. Every so often the strap will twist in just the wrong way for one of the plastic clips to come right off the O-ring, and the bag will fall to the ground.

If you could, please redesign the strap with some sort of plastic locking clips and sell it separately so that I can upgrade my straps. For now. I will use some tricks to keep the clip from opening, such as using heat shrink tubing to keep the clip from opening or using wire to tie the clip to the O-ring.

Thanks in advance!
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    Hi, TB--

Thanks in advance!
    You should email customer service! Emailus@tombihn.com

Never ever had this happen on my Side Effects, can't quite picture how it is even possible. If you have more than one can you swap out to a different strap and see if it still happens?

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had that happen either, but it sounds alarming!

Pacsafe does make an assortment of locking straps that you may want to take a look at.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has happened to me too! Not very often, but thankfully, when it does happen, I catch it when it does. Let me know if you find a solution.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your shoulder strap clips swivel easily.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessy View Post
    This has happened to me too! Not very often, but thankfully, when it does happen, I catch it when it does. Let me know if you find a solution.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The 5/8" straps for the Side Effect end in snap hooks that are like the ones on keystraps.

Side Effect strap clip comes off o-ring suddenly, dropping bag to ground-five-eighths-inch-strap_1024x1024-jpeg

I use the 1" shoulder strap on my Side Effect, which has a more robust hook end (that swivels and that also curves around the O-ring, so it can't release from the O-ring unless the plastic section completely disiintegrates):

(This just reflects my personal preferences; YMMV. I had one of these 1" Shoulder Straps from the old Breve for iPad, and used it for the SE from the start)

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-05-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youre definitely not alone. This has happened to me with both Side Effects and my Travel Cubelet.

@moriond I appreciate the suggestion for the 1 strap, but Id love to see a similar hook attachment on a thinner strap!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify, I have the 5/8in straps on both of my Side Effects. They have the all-plastic clips on the ends that are also on the keystraps.

I'm not sure how they come loose and can't take a photo of how it happens, because it happens in a flash, and when I pick up the strap after it's come off, the ends look totally normal (nothing broken, nothing bent out of shape).

I guess the best solution is to buy the 1in strap that moriond or the Pacsafe locking straps that kieri suggested--thanks!
    Last edited by dchang0; 08-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Washington DC-ish
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's happened to me with my Travel Cubelet.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The offending clips look a lot like the clips on my TB key straps, and it takes a bit of force to snap a key ring into those clips, and a bit more force to open them and remove a key ring. Puzzling......

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting! I asked all around our customer service crew and we cant remember hearing of this before or experiencing it ourselves. If anyone is experiencing this with their Side Effect or other bag, could they emailus@tombihn.com? That way we can help you guys through the customer service channels and make sure you get some resolution. Of course, well be testing this and trying to replicate it ourselves, too.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if the snaphook isn't fully on the ring so the little lever thingy is closed. If the lever is closed, there should be no way for the snaphook to disengage. However, if the lever isn't closed, then the ring isn't really inside the snaphook and could come off easily. I noticed this with the snaphook on my Macabi skirt, so I'm extra careful to make sure the lever is fully closed.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because many of my small TB Bags, usually need to go from accessories to stand alone bags, in a flash, they (SE & TC) get the grab by the strap treatment, fairly often.

So far, no problem.

I love the 5/8" straps for the Side Effect, which end in snap hooks that are like the ones on keystraps.
    I am not a number person, so I always call it the Long Keystrap.

It helps to differentiate it from the 1" shoulder strap on my Side Kick, which has a more robust hook end (that swivels and that also curves around the O-ring, so it can't release from the O-ring unless the plastic section completely disintegrates) which I call the Thin Shoulder Strap in comparison to the Wide Shoulder Strap on the Cafe Bags and the Absolute Strap.

I ordered the Long Key Strap, the minute it was first produced and used it to secure a Small Clear Organizer Pouch which held my Public Transport Scan Card. The other clip was secured to one of the O-ring of my Large Cafe Bag.

In 3 years, there was no problems, with the clip that was stuffed in winter coat, spring rain shell or summer pants pockets.

However, the Large Key Strap being one of my favorite accessories to fiddle with, I had some misses or near misses when the clips were not firmly secured to attachments points that were not TB O-Rings or Snaphooks.

I also clip Key Straps with Snaphooks together in a variety of patterns to secure a plethora of Pouches, Stuff Sacks, Q-Kits, Cubes and the occasional non TB items.

When 2 Snaphooks are paired together, one has to be mindful of their orientation, after they are clipped together, they need to be wiggled until the 2 hook parts are firmly entwined in a manner that keep them secure and still able to move in unison.

If a TB accessory secured with a Key Strap or Long Key Strap/Shoulder Strap, is going to be carried outside of a bigger Bag: cross shoulder, on a lap, as purse on one shoulder.

One has to be very careful to make sure the Snaphook is secured to the weight bearing O-rings.

The same applies for steel snap hook of the Simple Strap or the Double Carabiner.

Bottom line is: double, triple or, in my case, quadruple check that the snaphook is securely fastened to a weight bearing O-Ring!

PS: Wonderful and accurate descriptions of the 2 Shoulder Straps, shamelessly copied and pasted from Moriond post.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Interesting! I asked all around our customer service crew and we can’t remember hearing of this before or experiencing it ourselves. If anyone is experiencing this with their Side Effect or other bag, could they emailus@tombihn.com? That way we can help you guys through the customer service channels and make sure you get some resolution. Of course, we’ll be testing this and trying to replicate it ourselves, too.
    I suspect that Go Navy is right--the strap is probably not swiveling properly, and then the clip essentially twists off the o-ring. I'm not talking about the clip deforming in any way--the o-ring is probably getting pushed up the clip, past the relatively thin plastic "gate," and right off the thicker hook portion of the clip.
    This used to happen to me on a totally different, non-TB bag. That clip did not have a swivel at all, and if the strap flipped over, which happened quite often, it would twist up and off the hook easily.

But I inspected my TB 5/8in strap's round ball joints, and they seem to swivel/turn just fine.

I don't think it's that the hook isn't on the o-ring as BWeaves suggests, because the Side Effect is able to stay on my shoulder for a while. If it weren't hooked, it should come off as soon as I put the bag on my shoulder.
    Last edited by dchang0; 08-11-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast