Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upsizing from A30 to A45

I love my A30. It was one of my first TB bags, and it's gorgeous (shoutout to aubergine/zest, best color combo ever!), and it's great for plane trips where I have to carry it through the terminal, because it keeps me from packing more than I can comfortably carry on my back.

But... it's a frustrating process. I always want to bring a little more than I can fit. And for car trips, I don't have to deal with the weight issue. And then there's the issue of jamming my slightly-too-big PCSB (which I use to corral toiletries, makeup, brushes and other grooming supplies) in a slightly-too-small side pocket. For car trips I usually wind up just throwing a bunch of stuff in a backpack at the end. The same things tend to end up in the backpack: travel tray, computer, maybe a fleece or another pair of shoes.

So after years of wanting one, and then months of waffling over the color combo, I finally broke down and got myself an A45 in steel/island.

Has anyone else upsized from an A30 to an A45? Is it going to feel super-huge in comparison? Or will it finally be my "just right" bag?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traded my A30 for an A45 and I am much happier. I pack the same stuff, but it fits better in the A45 because the 2-D acreage is wider.

Because I don't pack it full, all the stuff sits closer to my back, so it's more comfortable to carry and doesn't tip me over backwards. Also, the smaller pockets are more user friendly (bigger) on the bigger bag, at least they are to me.

I just got the A45 frame sheet and wide hip belt, but I haven't tried them out on a trip yet. I'm hoping they will take the weight off my shoulders.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 08-07-2018 at 03:38 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    So after years of wanting one, and then months of waffling over the color combo, I finally broke down and got myself an A45 in steel/island.

Has anyone else upsized from an A30 to an A45? Is it going to feel super-huge in comparison? Or will it finally be my "just right" bag?
    Woot! Steel/Island!

I have both an A30 and A45 and use them for trips of different length and/or different content (ie, winter bulky clothes with gifts vs not)... I'm sure you'll enjoy the extra space and the reduction in finagling to get everything to fit... hopefully you won't go the other way and stuff it so full that it's awkward or heavy. Be sure to let us know how it works out!

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel/Island = Awesome Sauce.

I also sold my A30 as my A45 just did everything a little better (the end pockets in particular are just better sized for other TB items).

I love the smaller form factor of the A30 but itís just a little too small. For that size, I prefer the WF and Tristar layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I wish there was an A36, instead of an A30. My Doggienaut (the retired medium road duffle) is the PERFECT size. And the end pockets and lid pocket are a better size than the A30's.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like @G42, I have both an original Aeronaut (45) and an A30 and use them for different lengths of trip. I went the other way - the A45 came first, then the A30. The A30 sees more use currently, but that's because I'm mostly away for 2 days because of work, sometimes stretching to 3 - which will work with the A30. I sometimes wish it was a smidge bigger, but have never had to offload stuff into a second bag because it won't fit. If a trip is 4 days or longer, or needs more stuff, I take the A45. Horses for courses. I must admit to being very jealous of the never-to-be-repeated Aubergine/Zest A30... mine is Aubergine/Wasabi. The A(45) is Crimson/Steel - I got it used after Crimson was discontinued.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just used my A45 for a 10 day or so work trip and since I was hauling a lot of stuff and would be bringing back paperwork & samples, I used the new padded hip belt this time.
    The hip belt combined with the sternum strap noticeably improved how it carried... I'm 5'4" and usually pack pretty light, so I use my A30 more, but sometimes I need the extra capacity and this made it much easier to carry a heavier load.
    I don't know if it's because it wasn't packed full or because I'm short, but it does slump a bit on my back... the framesheet might help with that but I don't have one.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...