Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor thread quality?

Hello,

I am a newbie. I've heard a lot of good things about TB bags, so I ordered a few including a Maker's bag, Cadet and Pilot, and wants to choose one or two. Today, I checked the threads briefly (on the front sides only), and found these shown in the pictures. Are they start fraying already (these are all brand new), or are these normal? I didn't expect these in $130, $160 bags, or am I just too picky?

Poor thread quality?-img_2330-jpg Poor thread quality?-img_2331-jpg Poor thread quality?-img_2332-jpg

The first picture is from the cadet, and the other two are from the maker's bag. I am concerned about TB's quality.
    Last edited by gadgets; 08-09-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor sewing is extremely rare. Contact customer service. TB's customer service is fantastic. They will make things right for you.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with BWeaves that TB will make this right. I have never noticed sloppy stitching on any of my bags or accessories, even on tags.

With that said - these just look to me mostly like finishing matters, not structural issues.

Top pic looks to me like strands of the fabric before the seam was bound - they probably just didnít get brushed out of the way and can be snipped off.

Middle pic looks like the end of the thread after that line of stitching was ended and locked off - you can see where there is a slightly thicker part of the line - also can be snipped off.

Last pic looks like the needle stuttered slightly - that looks like a slightly thicker part of the bag, also a curved part. I canít tell from the pic if that one stitch goes all the way through. Since the stitching continues unbroken on either side I wouldnít personally worry, especially as this looks to be on the interior of the bag and not a weight-bearing point (guessing).

But yes, definitely call and ask them to remedy (return/exchange) if these are of concern to you.
    Last edited by haraya; 08-09-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seemed to recall there was a blog post about quality control at TB, so I Googled... and this was the first hit that came up. Very reassuring to know how seriously TB takes its stuff!

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...urple-bag.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are not something that can be brushed off. I pulled one of the strands that stick out, and it actually get pulled! I may cut them with scissors, but I wouldn't. They may not affect the structure, but quality is in the details. Why do you have to cut the strands for an almost $200 bag? The loose stitching (the third picture in my original post) is a real concern to me. I can grab the loop with my bare fingers. It will get looser and may eventually be torn and cut.

I also bought an S19 with them, and I looked into it today, and here are some pics. There are tons of strands sticking out here and there. Look at the uneven sewing and irregular gaps. Honestly, I don't see why it's a quality bag better than those ones you can find at Marshalls at $40 (considering the stitching only). Of course, the materials are super. But the quality lies in the workmanship. Did I get a bad batch?

Poor thread quality?-img_2335-jpg Poor thread quality?-img_2338-jpg Poor thread quality?-img_2339-jpg

I have bags from Filson, Pad and Quills, Saddleback leather, and I've never seen such irregular sewing. For a comparison, here is a cheap Filson duffle bag I bought at around $35 on clearance. It's also a nylon bag but made in Vietnam (Sad some Filson bags are made overseas - that's why I tried to buy from TB.)
    Poor thread quality?-img_2341-jpg Poor thread quality?-img_2342-jpg

Even this $40 REI bag I saw in the store today, looks sewn much better; at least it looks even and regular, and no strands sticking out.
    Poor thread quality?-img_2345-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís really odd, not at all my experience. You should definitely talk to TB so that they can fix the situation for you and figure out whatís happened. I have TB bags that I bought secondhand and then gave to my kid to use at school (long hard days, dirt and dragging) - nothing has fallen apart after years of use.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly encourage that you contact the Tom Bihn team directly; as they will, I am sure, want to investigate further and take steps to fix any quality problems and put things right for you. My experience with a number of Tom Bihn products is very positive about the good quality.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for emailing us yesterday evening @gadgets! We got your response to our response and we just replied to that now.

If anyone else has questions or has identified a potential problem with their bag, please emailus@tombihn.com, call us, or live chat us. We’d like to respond ASAP (within business hours) and we aren’t always able to check or respond on the Forums. Smilie
    Last edited by MikeV; 08-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your responses and suggestions to contact TB. I sent an email yesterday night, and Mike from TB responded this morning. I really appreciate their excellent customer service.