1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace a Daylight Backpack with a med cafe bag?

I have a Daylight Backpack and I love the size for getting through crowds at like conventions or amusement parks. But I hate wearing it in the heat because my back gets straight up sweaty. Like Soaked. I can often make it work with just uncomfortably loaded cargo shorts. Except for water bottles. I end up having to carry that in my hands which isn't really ideal.

I was thinking about trying a messenger bag like the Med Cafe. But I haven't seen any pictures of it with water bottles. Is there a good way to load it with a water bottle? I'm not a huge fan of messengers for wearing all day long because they can jack up my back.

So to summarize what I'm looking for:
    - compact and does well in crowds
    - doesn't leave my back wet and sweatty
    - comfortable to wear all day long at conventions/vacations
    - has space for water bottle

Than you!

Also I currently have a smart alec, Pilot, nightflight and daylight backpack. And handful of organizing pouches and totes.

Edit: would also like to be big enough to carry a standard ipad and kindle paperwhite and letter sized paper.
    Last edited by happig42; 08-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what else you want to carry with you besides the water bottle, but I use both the Side Kick and Travel Cubelet when I want minimal size and still want to carry my water bottle hands free.
    The Nalgene 16oz fits upright inside these bags... you can fit two in the SK and still have room for tissue, wipes, etc.
    I use the strap cross body and have the bag to my front, side, or back depending on how crowded it is... unless you are stuffing gold bars in there (in which case, ooooh, share) they can't get too heavy/unbalanced just because of the size limitation, YMMV of course

Oh, and the bottle also fits a Small Cafe Bag, so it really all comes down to how much other stuff you want to carry

TC - 1.7L
    SK - 3L
    SCB - 6L
    MCB - 8L
    DLBC - 8L
    CP - 10L
    DLBP - 16.5L

https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Trita..._ei&th=1&psc=1
    Last edited by G42; 08-10-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Daylight Briefcase might be a good option.

It has a carrying capacity that almost matches the Daylight Backpack, it fits inside sideways.

I usually use an insulated bottle holder which I carry on its own. A Travel Stuff Sack clipped to the side of the Daylight Briefcase would achieve the same result.

The Daylight Briefcase is very light, I got it when I needed more room than Small Cafe Bag can provide, and wanted a solution more streamlined than the ultra cute Co-Pilot and more organization than a Medium Cafe Bag.

I am delighted with it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm looking for two basic load outs I think. One is to carry electronics/papers etc on weekend trips that I don't want to carry in my nightflight. Other is for vacations where I will be carrying stuff in/standing up all day (water/poncho/snacks/battery packs/maybe change of toddler clothes).

I actually just bought a 16 oz nalgene! its a great size that I had never considered until my last trip and I can even fit it in a cargo pocket in a pinch.

I adore the design of a lot of the smaller pouches but concerned they will come off a little "purse-like" on my 6'2" frame. Does the sidekick end up looking more like a purse or a briefcase? I want something that won't bounce a lot if I need to book it to get somewhere. Part of the reason I liked the med cafe is that it seems to fit the body pretty well. I might steal my strap off one of my other bags because the med cafe looks kinda uncomfortable.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the size of your electronics & papers you may want to consider the Ristretto (9L) as well...

If you're carrying that much and would like to free up your pockets, then the two sizes of Cafe Bags, Daylight Briefcase, and Ristretto are probably your best bets...

SCB - 6L
    MCB - 8L
    DLBC - 8L
    Ristretto - 9L
    CP - 10L
    DLBP - 16.5L

Besides the capacity of the bags, there's the whole horizontal vs vertical orientation, which is a personal preference thing...

Whether it looks 'bag' or 'purse' is in the eye of the beholder, and my opinion is that steel, cloud, black, original halcyon, and black halcyon make most things pretty gender neutral... you might like the halcyons for this purpose as they are lighter. I think the original halcyon with the white grid is a snazy subtle tech look.

Note that the Cafe Bag shoulder straps are NOT removable.

Here's an old Blog post about the Cafe Bags & what fits
    https://blog.tombihn.com/size-cafe-bag-right
    Last edited by G42; 08-10-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happig42 View Post
    I have a Daylight Backpack and I love the size for getting through crowds at like conventions or amusement parks. But I hate wearing it in the heat because my back gets straight up sweaty. Like Soaked. I can often make it work with just uncomfortably loaded cargo shorts. Except for water bottles. I end up having to carry that in my hands which isn't really ideal.

I was thinking about trying a messenger bag like the Med Cafe. But I haven't seen any pictures of it with water bottles. Is there a good way to load it with a water bottle? I'm not a huge fan of messengers for wearing all day long because they can jack up my back.

So to summarize what I'm looking for:
    - compact and does well in crowds
    - doesn't leave my back wet and sweatty
    - comfortable to wear all day long at conventions/vacations
    - has space for water bottle

Than you!

Also I currently have a smart alec, Pilot, nightflight and daylight backpack. And handful of organizing pouches and totes.

Edit: would also like to be big enough to carry a standard ipad and kindle paperwhite and letter sized paper.
    I carry 2 stainless steel travel mugs in a #3 SS every. One mug (16 Oz) is for coffee and the other (29 Oz) is for water. On the rare occasion I don't seal the lids appropriately, they leak. And, the other items in my bag are perfectly safe. The SS doesn't leak if there's a liquid "accident). I often add to the SS a few snacks such as oatmeal cookies and cheese sticks. So, SSs might help. My travel mugs are by Contigo.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk