Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Else Desperate for the S25 Guide?

So I road-tested the Synapse 25 for ten days in Switzerland. I abused the heck out of it, taking it on everything from hikes in the Alps to leisurely boat rides. The organization and size we perfect.

I only had a few complaints:

- I want a couple more external attachment points
    - The miscellaneous pocket next to the water bottle pocket would be more useful to me if it were larger
    - I'd love for there to be a tablet or Kindle pocket, or something in the top half of the interior

None of these are dealbreakers for me, especially since the bag made it so easy for me to find my stuff.

BUT, knowing that the Guide Edition exists is driving me nuts. I suspect that I will carry the S25 for years to come (as with my other Tom Bihn bags that serve other roles), and I like the aesthetic of the Guide Edition so much more. Plus, the little loop in the center is perfect for my "hold my hat" carabineer.

I'm even considering paying the extortionate price on eBay (if I can even find a bag). Anyone else desperately hoping that they bring the Synapse 25 Guide back?
    Last edited by CJoshuaV; 08-26-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't give up hope... I had just shared in this post that @Kat mentioned that the S25 GE *might* be something they do with the new pre-order system, presumably if it all shakes out ok with the current zip top bag/truck run and they feel like it...

my original post
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post164202
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF; oNordic/Solar CP; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon oL12; Nebulous/Island B L15

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH! That is very encouraging. Fingers crossed.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJoshuaV View Post
    - The miscellaneous pocket next to the water bottle pocket would be more useful to me if it were larger
    - I'd love for there to be a tablet or Kindle pocket, or something in the top half of the interior
    I have had my S25 "standard edition" black cordura/NWS halcyon for 18 months now with many weeks traveling and also stays 50% packed with travel items. When I got it, that pocket seemed like a waste in only could hold a passport (questionable security ofc), a small notebook, or other flat items. Packed now with the same water bottle behind it in water bottle pocket, a full 3DOC in right side pocket, and left side pocket with pens+misc in pen pockets and another 18oz insulated bottle, that small front pocket can now hold a cubelet without issue (full, but bursting at seams). I don't know how other materials react, but when the material "relaxed", a lot of space became available. I also noticed the obvious material relaxing in a 12 month old medium OP. I was disappointed when received as could hold flat paper nice, but not very roomy, now I can fit multi-tool, a bar of soap, and another 1 inch thick box without issue.

I agree, a pocket above the elasticized pocket could be useful. The worry is the water bottle is pressed against that space and I could see water bottle be like driving a nail into the tablet. There was mentioned in TB blog of the new Luminary 14 in testing with a pocket as discussed. I like the design of the new Luminary with improvements over original. I think a 20L Luminary may be perfect for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually created an account just to reply to this, because yes, I'm itching for a new S25 Guide's pack too... But I have to say that I'm even more hopeful that the "pre-order" experiment will be a success, and TB will start experimenting with some other "limited run" ideas as well... Would love to see what they come up with.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting on this as well, my S25 is awesome would like a Guide Edition to keep in the truck at all times.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I'd snatch one up in a heart beat. I also got to road test a friend's Guide Edition, and I loved it! In addition to a nice aesthetic, I also loved;
    1. the frame/ hip belt (now available for all synapses), which helps to distribute weight better
    2. the double zippers on the bottom pocket; better for locking in a pickpocket filled city, and easier to access items
    3. The ability to attach items to the outside was major. Camera gear, tents, sleeping bags, hiking poles, etc. could all be attached, freeing up room on the inside. I even contemplated attaching the guides pack lead pocket or side pockets, using some straps and annex clips, for extra modular space.
    4. And of course, the awesome contrasting colors and classic looking design. The coyote is a really nice warm earth tone; I think it should be used more often. I like the brightness of the interior, compared to dark grey or black interiors or many other (non TB) bags.

Even if TB decided not to use the coyote color for the trim, if they added more of these functional updates to the regular S25, I think a lot of people would jump at the chance to get it. These features take an already great bag and make it even more versatile. I love that these updates are completely functional, but still done in an understated and elegant fashion.

I would love to see what they could do with the pre-order system, and I like the idea of picking specific color combos for limited runs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was itching for one in a bad way too ... but then I found an Ebay auction for a brand new, never used S25 Guide's Edition in Mars Red with the tags still attached. I paid more than the original price, but it was worth it. The bag is beautiful, superbly made, eminently useful, and everything you'd hope for.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasnít convinced about the coyote accents originally which turned me off from buying one. Admittedly Iíve warmed to them since then and would buy one if it came up.

But like someone else said, if the additional features were added, perhaps in Black, to make a S25 Pro then I would likely buy one as I think the external attachments points and different bottom zips are nice enhancements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    But like someone else said, if the additional features were added, perhaps in Black, to make a S25 Pro then I would likely buy one as I think the external attachments points and different bottom zips are nice enhancements.
    All the S25s are in production...maybe they'll surprise us and add the new features as an upgrade to the existing design.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF; oNordic/Solar CP; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon oL12; Nebulous/Island B L15

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zkai5 View Post
    Even if TB decided not to use the coyote color for the trim, if they added more of these functional updates to the regular S25, I think a lot of people would jump at the chance to get it. These features take an already great bag and make it even more versatile. I love that these updates are completely functional, but still done in an understated and elegant fashion.
    So very much this!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
    I was itching for one in a bad way too ... but then I found an Ebay auction for a brand new, never used S25 Guide's Edition in Mars Red with the tags still attached. I paid more than the original price, but it was worth it. The bag is beautiful, superbly made, eminently useful, and everything you'd hope for.
    I saw that auction too. I almost snagged it, but I really want the blue or the black. The seller was a nice woman from NC who had the blue as well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would absolutely LOVE a S25 GE in Aubergine!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I would love to get a blue S25 GE, my mind would be blown if they did a blue Guide version of the Brain Bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded - if Aubergine or Olive (or maybe even the new gray) were available I'd have purchased so fast my credit card would catch on fire.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast