Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I am curious how the bigger ones (PU, pilot, etc) are in that halcyon. I had ordered a ballistic pilot a while ago and I wasn't a fan. It looked too much like a business briefcase and it felt too restricted for what I wanted to carry. I don't think the halcyon would have made a difference in the restricted feeling, I prefer bags with a big area of unstructured space with some good sized external pockets rather than everything be structured space.

Now, if they only offered the halcyon in the original fabric (white grid) I would have never considered it. I am definitely drawn to the more low-key designs and I prefer the darker colors and subtlety of the dark grid.
    I have a ballistic Co-pilot that isn't doing it for me either, and I'm debating if I want to trade or sell it. I think a halcyon would work better for me just because of flexibility. Like your issues with the pilot, I think the co-pilot compartments are just a bit too small for my edc items, and the ballistic was just too rigid.

I love the dark grid for black. It's subtle and can work for personal or business. But I do love the nordic white grid, and really wish it was still offered.
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't gotten into the stuff sacks or travel trays, but I don't want to start with that.
    Beware, that's a slippery slope! I didn't think I'd want any until I got one.

eta: Upon reflection that's how it was for so much of what I've ordered. "That looks neat, but what will I use it for? I don't need it." And when I arrives I use it all the time.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 09-08-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Beware, that's a slippery slope! I didn't think I'd want any until I got one.

eta: Upon reflection that's how it was for so much of what I've ordered. "That looks neat, but what will I use it for? I don't need it." And when I arrives I use it all the time.
    I hate to ask for fear of another order...but how are you using the them (the travel trays/sacks)? I can't see a reason for using them either. I don't have a lot of loose little things that need corralling and that seems to be their intended purpose.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my travel tray as a nightstand tray when traveling, ie all the things you might want in the middle of the night and don't want to wake up any companions to look for. I have a night light, aspirin, ear plugs, an oil blend to help me breathe, tissues etc in there.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I use my travel tray as a nightstand tray when traveling, ie all the things you might want in the middle of the night and don't want to wake up any companions to look for. I have a night light, aspirin, ear plugs, an oil blend to help me breathe, tissues etc in there.
    Ah, I don't usually have little stuff like that on my nightstand, so I'm safe for now. lol.

Only thing I could think for the travel tray is on the plane tray to keep the stuff I'd want handy on the plane in one spot, but those plane trays are so small that it would probably take up most of the space on there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to ask for fear of another order...but how are you using the them (the travel trays/sacks)? I can't see a reason for using them either. I don't have a lot of loose little things that need corralling and that seems to be their intended purpose.
    I ended up with a large TT in trade...and found it incredibly useful as a catch-all right at my front door. In my small townhouse style apartment, the stairs to the upstairs are right next to the front door and there's not much room. So the TT is sitting on the stairs under the railing cut-out...it holds my work badge, keys, etc. - when I empty my pockets at the end of the day.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use my large TT's on a daily basis, but when I'm traveling, I find them very useful. At home, my jewelry goes back in my jewelry box. My phone charger and plug converters live in a drawer. My meds have a spot on the counter in the bathroom. Phone is on my nightstand somewhere. I don't have name tags. But on a trip, all this stuff has no where to go but sprawled out on a desk or nightstand. This is where the TT comes in handy. It all goes in the TT. My husband even puts his wallet in it. Not only does it keep everything together, but in the event of an emergency, I can grab the TT, close the top and run. I've been woken up in the middle of the night during a major earthquake, and my sister has been booted out of her hotel room in the middle of the night due to fire alarms. It's handy to be able to grab my purse and TT and run.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-09-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small Travel Trays are the perfect size for my shallow bathroom cabinet shelves. I have one in there keeping tiny serums and oils from falling out.

When I am unwell I keep a small TT by my bed with various medicines.

I also keep a Small TT by my bed normally for lip balm and earbuds, etc. I don't have a normal nightstand, just a shelf, so this keeps tiny things from rolling away.

The Large TTs only get used while traveling but they are so handy for tiny hotel nightstands.

Love the TT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how are you using the them (the travel trays/sacks)?
    Besides corralling little stuff, stuff sacks contain clothing. Rooting around my backpack of black layers for a black hat, and then refolding everything I dug through makes me insane. So each garment gets its own unique color sack.

For example, take my unruly motorcycle jacket liner, which tries to leap out of the saddlebags when I open them. A stuff sack fixes that problem. I keep extra layers in stuff sacks. Nothing needs re-folding when I pull out the item at the bottom of my backpack.

But if you never find yourself cursing over folding a sweater for the umpteenth time, or don't carry extra mittens that like to jump out of your pack into parking lot mud, you may be disappointed with stuff sacks. Especially since you already know you wouldn't use them to corral things.

On to the TT. It actually doesn't fit my travel style. The items it holds well aren't the kind I like to store in a jumble. But I love the color of mine, so I found it a purpose corralling lotion and lip balm on my bureau. If you knit though, the TT makes a great yarn bowl.

Forum Member
    US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually use my travel trays for toiletries when I travel. I like that it keeps everything corralled neatly on the bathroom counter, and in situations where I can't leave my stuff in the bathroom, it's a nice handy way to cart my stuff back and forth. I took a picture of this at some point but never got around to posting it on the forum.

Stuff sacks, for packing, I use mostly for delicate items like expensive scarves that I don't want to risk getting caught in a zipper. I've also used small ones for packing odds and ends like tea bags when camping.

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a Brain bag too. It got really heavy, really fast. Ended up trading it. I have a Synapse 19 & a 25. I’ve been carrying the 19 every day for years now. I have scads of Side Effects, even the old style hip belt ones.

Hi Backpack, hope you’re well.
    Last edited by Moose; 09-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I started with a Brain bag too. It got really heavy, really fast. Ended up trading it. I have a Synapse 19 & a 25. I’ve been carrying the 19 every day for years now. I have scads of Side Effects, even the old style hip belt ones.

Hi Backpack, hope you’re well.
    Hi Moose, It is sooo nice to see you in the forum!!!!!

I was thinking of you because I saw a travel show about Maine.

I looked at the scenes with crowds and in restaurants hoping to spot a TB logo, thus you.

I hope you are well also. How are you, how is Maine, do you have new hobbies, what do you use the SEs' for?

I have also carried my S19 for many years.

I love the SE in Dyneema, now Halcyon; Parapack and the newest EDC/Lightweight Ballistic.

But, when Tom designed the first ones in Cordura, I had a serious case of high nose toward them. Most probably because of the non removable hip belt.
    But, even with the hip belt, the Plum and Azalea Cordura were very, very, very hard to resist.

In the ultra hot midwest, Dyneema/Halcyon is a life saver, I have been schlepping my EDC inside the Large Shop Bag during the ultra warm spring and ultra hot summer, and now the really warm afternoon of early Fall, at least the calendar says it is supposed to be early Autumn.

We absolutely had no cool Spring, it went from ultra cold winter, barely above freezing, to ultra warm spring.
    The trees had to grow their buds, flowers and spring leaves with the moisture left over from winter snow, in record time. The foliage is must more sparse than last year.
    For the sake of the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and birds, I do hope that mild temperatures will be there to give nuts and fruits trees, the opportunity to grow.

How is the weather in Maine?

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Moose, It is sooo nice to see you in the forum!!!!!
    I was thinking of Moose as well. I was in the park recently where we'd met up a couple of years ago, where she introduced me to KIWI! and showed me her WF and some other accessories. Only thing was, I had forgotten her real first name, so even if I had seen her, what would I do? Chase after some woman going "Moose! Moose!"
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi--

My name is, uh, xyppy, and I'm a new TB addict. Since August 1, 2018 I have ordered a PT , 2 MCB, an S25, a DLBP, several pouches, several key straps and a travel sack. And I still have a list of things I'd like to buy.

I have a question for all you other TB addicts...how many TB boxes did you keep? I currently have 4 and don't want to keep them all but should I keep them all? Why would I keep them all? I might keep one just for my cats to sleep in but should I keep any of the others including some that the cats haven't slept in?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're great boxes, and I wouldn't get rid of all of them. Now that you're an addict you might find yourself wanting to trade with someone for a different color or design, and it's fun to ship TB stuff in TB boxes! Can you store them flat?

I have a small TB box (about the size of a dictionary) that is being used to hide my chocolate stash from my children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast