Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Bihn Addiction

So I'm a relatively new Tom Bihn customer and yet I now own 3 bags and many accessories with more items on my wish list.

It started with a disappointing luggage experience in Europe (tried to go backpack only, but had to take a roller, it was miserable. Also, I didn't have a proper day bag and had to take a courier bag with a bad strap for overnight/sightseeing).

So when I came back from my trip, I purchased an Aeronaut 45 and Synapse 25 after initially scoffing at the prices. I haven't even used them yet and I already recommended the Aeronaut to my brother.

I had purchased a few accessories to go with the synapse for travel but I ended up putting them in my daily bag and they're great: small snake charmer and fabric organizer cube.

I recently fell in love with the travel cubelet and am using it exclusively on the weekends for quick errand trips.

Now I've purchased a parental unit to replace my purse and I've got 3 organizer pouches and a side effect sitting in my mailbox when I get home.

I'm currently waiting (not so) patiently for the luminary 14 to use as a day bag for travel and I may end up getting more stuff before that gets released. I'm finding myself checking the forums daily and getting influenced to purchase yet another thing I originally didn't think I had a use for.

Anyone know how to beat this addiction? (And don't say buy more bags! Lol.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    So I'm a relatively new Tom Bihn customer and yet I now own 3 bags and many accessories with more items on my wish list.

It started with a disappointing luggage experience in Europe (tried to go backpack only, but had to take a roller, it was miserable. Also, I didn't have a proper day bag and had to take a courier bag with a bad strap for overnight/sightseeing).

So when I came back from my trip, I purchased an Aeronaut 45 and Synapse 25 after initially scoffing at the prices. I haven't even used them yet and I already recommended the Aeronaut to my brother.

I had purchased a few accessories to go with the synapse for travel but I ended up putting them in my daily bag and they're great: small snake charmer and fabric organizer cube.

I recently fell in love with the travel cubelet and am using it exclusively on the weekends for quick errand trips.

Now I've purchased a parental unit to replace my purse and I've got 3 organizer pouches and a side effect sitting in my mailbox when I get home.

I'm currently waiting (not so) patiently for the luminary 14 to use as a day bag for travel and I may end up getting more stuff before that gets released. I'm finding myself checking the forums daily and getting influenced to purchase yet another thing I originally didn't think I had a use for.

Anyone know how to beat this addiction? (And don't say buy more bags! Lol.)

It isn't so much a matter of beating it as managing it. Tom Bihn Addiction

I was going to suggest that the ability to swap or sell TB items here or elsewhere means that if your collection grows too big you have a few ways to pare it down...

...but we all know that this forum is based in Enabler's Village and getting the hang of the second-hand TB market and swaps is really just a way to acquire discontinued colors and designs, right??

Good luck to us all Tom Bihn Addiction

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    It isn't so much a matter of beating it as managing it. Tom Bihn Addiction

I was going to suggest that the ability to swap or sell TB items here or elsewhere means that if your collection grows too big you have a few ways to pare it down...

...but we all know that this forum is based in Enabler's Village and getting the hang of the second-hand TB market and swaps is really just a way to acquire discontinued colors and designs, right??

Good luck to us all Tom Bihn Addiction
    That's a good idea about swapping. Right now, I'm buying really only the things I "need" (I've lived without this stuff for so long, yet somehow I need it now) , so I hopefully won't have too much surplus for trades for a while. I imagine if my packing style or needs change I may need to use it though.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club!

I joined the forum a little before I bought my first Tom Bihn Bag. A Brain Bag.

During that time, Tom and The Crew have designed a lot more items, smaller backpacks, tote bags, purse like bags and a multitude of accessories.

I see that you plan to use the Parental Unit as a purse, would you mind sharing pictures of your setup?

The Travel Cubelet is, indeed, a quick errand trip, essential items holder, dream.

I am curious about your plan for the SE.

I think the best thing about TB fabulous creations is to pace yourself, when building up your collection.

In the course of the many years of being a TB enthusiast, I spend way more time planning packing lists.

I have several list for EDC with variable for weather ( cool , cold, ultra hot, stormy, rainy), public transport or car short trips, quick or lengthy errands...

Variable for activities (casual or dress up)

And there are list of Luggage Bags and Travel Accessories that are perfect for each trip, regional, within a country, a continent, far away.

Trip by planes, boats, cars, motorbikes, bicycles...

Marathon, climbs and hikes other forum members have shared tremendous pictures of them and their TB bag

A vacation just to stroll around a Regional or National or World Heritage, Park Visitor Center.

I am usually very careful and wait for TB newest innovations by saving all the Holidays and Birthday budget of the year.

I do, sometimes, let a color gets the better of me, like everything blue or purple.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-07-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Welcome to the club!

During that time, Tom and The Crew have designed a lot more items, smaller backpacks, tote bags, purse like bags and a multitude of accessories.

I see that you plan to use the Parental Unit as a purse, would you mind sharing pictures of your setup?

The Travel Cubelet is, indeed, a quick errand trip, essential items holder, dream.

I think the best thing about TB fabulous creations is to pace yourself, when building up your collection.

In the course of the many years of being a TB enthusiast, I spend way more time planning packing lists.

I have several list for EDC with variable for weather ( cool , cold, ultra hot, stormy, rainy), public transport or car short trips, quick or lengthy errands...

I also use TB Bags to store item for my hobbies: needlework, drawing/coloring, watercolor painting, calligraphy, journaling.

If I didn't do that, yet, with some of the newest items I got to practice calligraphy and this activity feels like it is competing with the others.

Placing items in their respective bags back give me the freedom to pause and enjoy something else like reading.

It is another way to say that TB items give me peace of mind.

And there are list of Luggage Bags and Travel Accessories that are perfect for each trip, regional, within a country, a continent, far away.

Marathon and climbs or just a stroll at the Regional or National and World Heritage Park Visitor Center.

I am usually very careful and budget for TB newest innovations by sometimes saving all the Holidays and Birthday budget of the year.
    Thanks! The current PU I have is in Steel, but I also did a rush order of the black halcyon to see how that compares. Fingers crossed that will come in on Tuesday and I can return one of them before the end of the week. I'd rather not have them both on my credit card bill.

I'll take some setup pictures when I get home. It'll be the same, regardless of the bag fabric. I tend to carry a lot of little things and cords that I want with me but don't need them in the main compartment of my bag. The front and back pocket organization of the PU is genius and works wonderfully for how I like to organize my stuff.

I am also curious about my SE packing plan. It was a forum influenced impulse buy. Lol. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with it. I feel like it might have a redundant purpose to the cubelet (little errand bag) and I may end up replacing the cubelet with it. I might also keep it in my gym bag for my wallet and keys so it's an easy transfer back to my main bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SE is great for all sorts of things!

One carries my glasses, the other my birding camera, a tiny camcorder which takes great pictures and video, if needed be, and is very lightweight.

I have both for quite some times, more than a couple of years and they still look brand new.

It is a miracle in the case of the glasses holder because this goes with me everywhere. It shows how sturdy TB items are.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Welcome to the club!

Marathon, climbs and hikes other forum members have shared tremendous pictures of them and their TB bag

A vacation just to stroll around a Regional or National or World Heritage, Park Visitor Center.

I am usually very careful and wait for TB newest innovations by saving all the Holidays and Birthday budget of the year.

I do, sometimes, let a color gets the better of me, like everything blue or purple.
    Finally got home. Here's my load out for my PU.

1st pic is the front outer pocket with a small snake charmer in the middle and the 3d organizer cube next to it. The last spot is for my travel umbrella, but that's drying off outside.

2nd pic is my main compartment. I have it zipped up and have my wallet in one section and my Nintendo Switch in the other. I have the keystrap with my keys in here and a small clutch thing for feminine products.

3rd pic is the back outer pocket with my travel cubelet and 14oz nalgene bottle. Last spot is empty.

4th pic is everything closed up.

5th pic is my nordic SE that came in today. It's a lovely color! I thought it would be really bright and I'm glad it's not. Somewhat regretting not getting the halcyon Nordic PU, but that Wasabi lining seems a bit too much to me.

Last edited by nolegrl; 09-07-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no cure and then through the forum, you discover other addictions... hobonichi anyone/

But at least it is an addiction to beautifully made and designed items that hold their value if you can ever part with them. And there is such a deep pleasure in carrying just the perfect bag for your needs. Or the almost perfect bag, until Tom announces the new bag that might be even more perfect. Or the bag is already perfect if it were in X colour...

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I jumped head first into the TB addiction, and now my bag collection (which was already rather sizable) is huge. But I've found that while before I would by purely for aesthetic reasons, after TB I focus more on function (though the bags are absolutely gorgeous!). My dive into the TB brand came after a few car accidents and a work related injury that compromised my ability to wear a hefty purse or backpack due to neck and back issues. The products I bought (Jansport, Fossil, etc) were beautiful but poorly designed, and after using them a handful of times they would get shoved to the back of my closet and forgotten. I actually just got rid of a bunch of my old bags because they're nothing I would want to keep now that TB has spoiled me forever. TB is a welcome change. I eliminated a bunch of crap I didn't need and carry a SK for a purse, and use a S25 for school. A MB with an absolute strap is my extra carry for bulky days.

Like you, I've been checking the forums and site daily for extra ideas and possible new purchases. It's become a rather expensive addiction, though I've become far more selective with what I buy from TB just because the quality is so amazing and I don't need a ton of extras because their bags are so well designed. For school, I don't need to carry around three extra bags (books, pens/pencils, and misc) because the pockets are perfect and give me more room than I would need.

I'm totally feeling the need to buy another bag though...as soon as the Nebulous grey/Island S25 is in stock I've got to figure out a way to budget it in. I use my current alphaviolet S25 for school at one university, and for school at the other college I really need another. (Seriously...this addiction is bad when I'm looking forward to spending that much $ on a bag I'll use 3 days a week Smilie ). I'm very thankful for the lovely group of enablers on this forum. <3
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Smilie Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    I jumped head first into the TB addiction, and now my bag collection (which was already rather sizable) is huge. But I've found that while before I would by purely for aesthetic reasons, after TB I focus more on function (though the bags are absolutely gorgeous!). My dive into the TB brand came after a few car accidents and a work related injury that compromised my ability to wear a hefty purse or backpack due to neck and back issues. The products I bought (Jansport, Fossil, etc) were beautiful but poorly designed, and after using them a handful of times they would get shoved to the back of my closet and forgotten. I actually just got rid of a bunch of my old bags because they're nothing I would want to keep now that TB has spoiled me forever. TB is a welcome change. I eliminated a bunch of crap I didn't need and carry a SK for a purse, and use a S25 for school. A MB with an absolute strap is my extra carry for bulky days.

Like you, I've been checking the forums and site daily for extra ideas and possible new purchases. It's become a rather expensive addiction, though I've become far more selective with what I buy from TB just because the quality is so amazing and I don't need a ton of extras because their bags are so well designed. For school, I don't need to carry around three extra bags (books, pens/pencils, and misc) because the pockets are perfect and give me more room than I would need.

I'm totally feeling the need to buy another bag though...as soon as the Nebulous grey/Island S25 is in stock I've got to figure out a way to budget it in. I use my current alphaviolet S25 for school at one university, and for school at the other college I really need another. (Seriously...this addiction is bad when I'm looking forward to spending that much $ on a bag I'll use 3 days a week Smilie ). I'm very thankful for the lovely group of enablers on this forum. <3
    Luckily I am also more of a function over cosmetic person as well, so I don't see myself getting caught up in colors aside from questioning which to get when picking up a bag for the first time. The fabric debate is new to me as well, and hopefully my PU test will give me a better idea of halcyon vs ballistic and I'll be set from there.

3 days a week is at least something and I'm sure you'll have other uses for it later.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    There is no cure and then through the forum, you discover other addictions... hobonichi anyone/

But at least it is an addiction to beautifully made and designed items that hold their value if you can ever part with them. And there is such a deep pleasure in carrying just the perfect bag for your needs. Or the almost perfect bag, until Tom announces the new bag that might be even more perfect. Or the bag is already perfect if it were in X colour...
    Lol oh boy, don't get me thinking about future bags. Lucky for me they're hopped up on this tote craze and I personally don't particularly like or have use for totes, so I can skip this manufacturing run and hold off for a while. I think I've pretty much gone through their current lineup and picked out what I'd want. I haven't gotten into the stuff sacks or travel trays, but I don't want to start with that. Lol. I'm happy with my snake charmer and organizer cube.

It is nice that they hold their value so well. I imagine I'll keep what I have for a while, but if I need to sell, I'm glad that I'll get a good portion of my money back.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    +1 on Hobonichi
    +1 on Columbia womenís travel pants and a dozen other things Iíve learned about here.

I have a LOT of bags and accessories. I havenít had to check a bag in years and have saved a fortune on overages. I always know exactly which bag is perfect for which trip and can pack for any occasion or length if time in 20 minutes. Itís a tad in the pricey side but the overall savings and peace of mind are absolutely worth it.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Luckily I am also more of a function over cosmetic person as well, so I don't see myself getting caught up in colors aside from questioning which to get when picking up a bag for the first time. The fabric debate is new to me as well, and hopefully my PU test will give me a better idea of halcyon vs ballistic and I'll be set from there.
    I never imagined fabric being a deal breaker for me, but I've found I prefer my big items in ballistic to hold shape, and small items in halcyon for flexibility. But there are a few models that both fabrics are wonderful.
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Smilie Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    I never imagined fabric being a deal breaker for me, but I've found I prefer my big items in ballistic to hold shape, and small items in halcyon for flexibility. But there are a few models that both fabrics are wonderful.
    I'm hoping that's not the case for me either, I (for the most part) have small items in halcyon right now and the bigger ones (Aeronaut, synapse 25) in ballistic because that made the most sense to me. I did get the travel cubelet in ballistic because I liked the dawn color. I am curious how the bigger ones (PU, pilot, etc) are in that halcyon. I had ordered a ballistic pilot a while ago and I wasn't a fan. It looked too much like a business briefcase and it felt too restricted for what I wanted to carry. I don't think the halcyon would have made a difference in the restricted feeling, I prefer bags with a big area of unstructured space with some good sized external pockets rather than everything be structured space.

Now, if they only offered the halcyon in the original fabric (white grid) I would have never considered it. I am definitely drawn to the more low-key designs and I prefer the darker colors and subtlety of the dark grid.

Last edited by nolegrl; 09-08-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first tried the Pilot in ballistic but ended up selling it after a couple of months. It was too boxy and a bit awkward for me. I ordered a new Pilot in black halcyon and I love it. I can stuff more in my halcyon version than I did in the ballistic version. See my comment in this thread for how I pack my halcyon Pilot. https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...-pilot-vs.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast