Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the fact I am a man, I'm going to put in a few cents on this as I too work in finance. I currently own quite a few leather briefcase/messenger bags and walk to work in our insanely humid Miami weather. It has been many a times where I find myself switching the bag from one shoulder to another, and by the time I get to work I already feel a bit worn down on my shoulders from this and this is only aggravated by the fact I also carry a gym duffel in one hand. Long story short, I've grown bored of my fancy bags (mostly Tumi) as they are not only a pain to carry due to my daily load, but I also have no passion for them. Sure they fit in for my working environment, and meetings, but I rather choose something that brings me joy.

After many days of consideration I've just bought the Synapse Guide's Edition in both black and blue and will test out how comfortable it will be to carry my daily load. So what if I walk into a meeting with a blue bag that looks like I'm going hiking? Will that determine how far I get in my career? Not at all in my opinion. While I understand there are fashion statements to be considered, I prioritize my comfort and if I have to wear a fancy suit with my bright big backpack, so be it! haha.

I do say embrace the use of backpack, whatever style it may be. In my building I've seen plenty women in finance and law firms using them and some are even rocking bright colored North Face ones.

Break the "norm"!

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    That coworker probably had babies and diapers on the mind, due to their upcoming child... haven't you ever noticed that when you start looking into/researching something, suddenly you notice it *everywhere*?
    Smilie
    Thatís entirely possible. Fair point.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, while looking for a non-backpack day bag to use during travel, I debated this issue on a gentlemens' attire forum. Many people there put forth the natural 'character' personified in a classic leather satchel, which is undeniable. Others derided bags like a Side Kick as being too similar to a purse and even questioned why I needed to carry items outside of my trouser pockets. A third group suggested a type of military/ammo bag (again, to maintain a masculine persona.)
    In the end, I had to revisit my definition of masculinity; I finally decided that, to me, masculinity means 1. having the right tool for the job, and 2. being prepared to take care of oneself and one's family. While traveling, one simply needs 'stuff' to be prepared for most situations, and having a quality bag with good organization is paramount. Obviously, I don't try to look feminine, but nor do I particularly care if I don't look like a 'true' man, as long as my needs are met. Of course, when I'm at my conservative work office, I default to proper leather accessories, but during travel, form follows function.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in an environment that is "business casual" and most everyone (men and women) use backpacks. I have used both but mainly use a briefcase now, but have never used a purse in my professional life.

I used a purse in high school - it was very small to carry some pens and my wallet. I didn't use any other bags, just hauled my books around in my arms and switched out books in my locker between classes.

In college (1982), I got a backpack (a purple Jansport Right Pack), since I didn't have a locker anymore, but ditched the purse. Never really liked them and have never owned anything else that could really be considered a purse.

After college, I continued to use the backpack if needed. But since those were days before laptops and mobile phones, I could fit everything I needed in my pockets.

When laptops became a thing, I used a backpack again (an REI Quantum Laptop Backpack and then a Brain Bag). But at some point, I just didn't like them anymore. I think they encouraged me to carry everything but the kitchen sink and they were always bulky and heavy. Since about 2016, I've only used shoulder bags (ID, Large Cafe Bag and Daylight Briefcase).

I also carry a Side Effect, Travel Cubelet, and Small Cafe Bag, which are the only purse-like objects I own.

For all my love of bags (backpacks, totes, briefcases, messenger bags and luggage, I just don't get purses. I never have. Even the first one I ever owned was more purse-like object than purse (similar to a Side Effect). But then again, I've never been a very conventional woman. I don't get the shoe thing and don't like dresses or makeup.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever go sight seeing in Europe, you'll see the benefit of a shoulder bag. It seems every museum and church will require you to surrender your backpack to some "holding location", while shoulder bags you're allowed to bring in. I've been made to understand the reason is people actually damage art by swinging around abruptly while wearing a backpack.

If I every get to go back, a Makers Bag will make the trip with me, and my Synapse might (big might) stay home...
    Last edited by ButtUglyJeff; 09-17-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammar

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    If you ever go sight seeing in Europe, you'll see the benefit of a shoulder bag. It seems every museum and church will require you to surrender your backpack to some "holding location", while shoulder bags you're allowed to bring in. I've been made to understand the reason is people actually damage art by swinging around abruptly while wearing a backpack.

If I every get to go back, a Makers Bag will make the trip with me, and my Synapse might (big might) stay home...
    That's exactly the scenario my family faced in Europe/general travel, and some places didn't even have a holding location to keep the bags; it very nearly stopped us from seeing some attractions. Luckily, I checked the bag policy before visiting and knew to leave my backpack at our airbnb. But, having no bag forced me to leave behind necessary items like an umbrella, water bottle, etc. Shoulder bags are, imo, nearly a traveling necessity, even for men.
    Last edited by ThomGault; 09-17-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all about the backpack for everyday use, but if I was going to be going someplace that I knew wasn't "backpack friendly", like an art museum, I would look for daybag sized version of the Western Flyer, a bag that could easily switch from backpack to crossbody bag or should tote.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, Tom Bihn products seem to be designed for a wider audience than Tumi, whose classic Alpha line is very focused on business travelers. There are pluses and minuses to this. A big plus is Tom Bihn is cheaper. Also, my Tom Bihn things are definitely lighter.

The downside is that the ballistic on my Synapse is definitely more fragile (this is relative to Tumi, I wouldn't say it's fragile on an absolute basis) versus whatever magical fabric Tumi is using on their products. Also, the Synapse 25 doesn't stand upright unless I really take care regarding how I position it, which is hugely annoying in meetings and somewhat annoying in airports. My other issue is how the straps on my S25 wrinkle my dress shirts. My S25 is worse in this regard than even an Arcteryx non-business backpack I have. I don't dare use my S25 with a suit jacket, as taking out wrinkles from a suit jacket without going to a dry cleaner is a major hassle.

Because of these annoyances, I now have a small leather briefcase I keep in my office and use that for in-city meetings. My S25 is for taking my laptop from home to work on Mon and from work to home on Fri. If I use my S25 for business-related air travel, I actually put my small leather briefcase inside to avoid having to use it at whatever meeting I'm going to.
    Last edited by NClens; 09-17-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even large shoulder bags can be a problem. I have been at museums where I was asked to check my Co-Pilot, when I used to carry that more frequently. And incredibly, on my last trip, the Travel Cubelet was not allowed at one place, but this was really an anomaly, and I'm almost too traumatized to discuss that incident. In general, I find that the Small Cafe Bag gets me in almost anywhere.

The Daylight Backpack is 'rollable' and can be tucked under the arm to disguise its backpack straps. If you do this before you encounter the museum staff.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    And incredibly, on my last trip, the Travel Cubelet was not allowed at one place, but this was really an anomaly, and I'm almost too traumatized to discuss that incident.
    Oh, please, please, share your misery, so we can empathize and laugh and learn Smilie

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    For all my love of bags (backpacks, totes, briefcases, messenger bags and luggage, I just don't get purses. I never have. Even the first one I ever owned was more purse-like object than purse (similar to a Side Effect). But then again, I've never been a very conventional woman. I don't get the shoe thing and don't like dresses or makeup.
    I tried to "like" your post but for some reason my little icons for thanks, like and welcome aren't clickable. Anyway, my bag choices, especially regarding PLOs, is very similar to yours.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't write about it without getting indignant all over again. Sorry.
    It wasn't even an art museum. There was nothing remotely fragile that my Travel Cubelet could have harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Oh, please, please, share your misery, so we can empathize and laugh and learn Smilie
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2