Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Yorkshire, England, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backpacks v totes/purses/handbags

Im (assumedly) aiming this comment slightly more at women than men here...

Does anyone else much prefer backpacks over handbags/purses?

I have 2 handbags which I use for going out or nice occasions- 1 is a small brown saddle bag, and 1 is my Cambridge satchel co satchel.

But I rarely use anything other than a backpack for work.

Also, it irks me that it’s not weird for the “average” woman to have several handbags, but me having 3 backpacks I rotate regularly is...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom Bihn Newbie- HAVE: Synapse 19 (cloud grey & Island blue)
    WISHLIST: Medium cafe bag, Synapse 25, travel tray, 13 inch MacBook cache, iPad mini cache, Aeronaut 45 (grey/&UV), Spiff Kit, Side Kick

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are people telling you that you have too many backpacks? Or is this something you're telling yourself?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For context, I'm in my mid 30s and work in finance. Through out my 20s I shunned backpacks. I had a Targus one that work gave me, but for important meetings I'd use my handbags. They'd be a mixture of brands. I have one (what I consider) truly expensive one. I still have it and it's great. That bag will never be sold/exchanged etc, it's a Prada saffiano bag which my mom bought me. I also have a bunch of Longchamp Le Pliage totes, the big ones. I find them super light and versatile. Basically right now, those are my handbags, one expensive prada bag and one very versatile light le pliage.

However, from my early thirties onwards I kind of started to get sick of the back pain heavy bags gave me. Not really the heaviness, because quite frankly I carry more with backpacks, but the fact it was ALL ON ONE SIDE. I think it's really bad and half the human population does this to themselves.

That's when I started to look at Tom Bihn backpacks. It was a) way better than the targus I got from work, b) much easier to use with the organisation built in. I didn't wear the backpack to meetings however. If I had a meeting outside of my office, i'd take the Longchamp. easy, dependable, socially acceptable and light. Zero organisation. everything gets lost.

I started to have more important meetings, and I stopped caring if I had my Longchamp or my backpack. Because I noted a lot of other people walked in with backpacks. That being said, I was very aware and always conscious that I was carrying an orange synapse 19 into a meeting. As much as I didn't care, it does matter. An orange synapse cordura doesn't go with a cashmere coat.
    Recently, I got a Daylight Backpack in blue. I LOVED olive and still regret not getting olive because it was my favourite when I saw photos but I didn't because I had memories of walking in with an orange backpack. I also now have a blue synapse 25.

Are backpacks acceptable in all situations? I think i'd be lying if I said yes. It does matter. It's partly why I got a blue Daylight backpack. it works well for meetings. you don't stand out. If you are carrying around a backpack, you have to consider the situation I think.

are you going out for the day? there's nothing wrong with taking a backpack to go shopping I think. it's easy. it doesn't hurt your back. I carry a daylight backpack for this.
    am I just going to work and going to the gym after or during? I carry the S25. maybe I'll buy groceries on my way home.
    Am I going to work, and during the day I have to go to a meeting? I'm not going to carry the S25, even if it fits my files better because I'll look like a camp guide.

Am I going to walk around, and all I need is my phone and wallet? I may just carry them in my pockets, or use a Longchamp sling bag (also pliage).

I think it all depends on your lifestyle and wear you go. My husband may complain that I have too many bags and backpacks (I have two Tom Bihn Backpacks, two hand bags, and one sling back, it's actually not that much). But each situation requires a different a solution and for bags and backpacks it's the same.

you're right though - it's less socially acceptable for a woman to have 3 backpacks even though it's better for you!

Wow this was really rambling. I'm sorry especially if I didn't answer your question.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Do what works for you. I don't like backpacks because I live in Florida, and the heat / sweat factor on my back is big with a backpack.

Also, I don't like backpacks in crowds. I prefer to keep my bag in front of me, where I know I won't be pickpocketed. However, if it was chilly, and I was walking from my car into work through an empty parking lot, I wouldn't mind a backpack. Once I'm in the office, anything goes.

As far as meetings are concerned, I think backpacks are acceptable. But there are more formal looking backpacks, and more casual looking backpacks. My computer oriented company dresses beyond business casual. They dress in "wash the car" casual. Shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops. An orange backpack would be quite formal in my business setting. If you feel your business setting is proper business attire, maybe go for nebulous or black or steel or navy for your backpack color.

P.S. You can never have too many bags. Remember which forum you're on.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @BWeaves said, 'do what works for you'. Humans are always evaluating through whatever cultural and cognitive filters they have - you won't be able to meet everyone's contradictory expectations all the time, and why should you? Do what works for you, knowing that there will be differing opinions. Sometimes those opinions have consequences - they can be both good & bad - but you can't escape being judged.
    Sorry for all the philosophy, I've been reading a lot of Behavioral Psych lately Smilie

I started out as a business major and quickly decided that suits & briefcases were not my thing... I ditched that 'necessary' look very quickly. My second degree is in engineering and that fits me better in many ways, including that less traditional looks, etc. are more acceptable.

My micro wallet and cash are in my jeans pocket (I don't buy pants without useful pockets)... anything else I feel that I want to have around is either permanently cached in my car & office and/or in whatever TB bag I feel like bringing to work. Depends on if I'm driving, walking, or biking, but the S19 backpack or Luminary usually win since they are much more ergonomic than a side carry bag, if you're carrying any weight (agree that with heat, it can be a sweaty mess tho).
    I only own one typical 'female' purse and that's because I inherited a tasteful and small, slim black clutch from my grandmother and I keep it for sentimental reasons, it's easy to store, and every once in a while I carry it to a funeral or wedding.

Today I'll use my Steel/Solar CoPilot, simply because I want a happy dose of Solar today. If I could trade it for a backpack version, I would.

And as stated before, this is a group of bag-loving enablers, you won't get a lot condemnation if you Buy All The Bags
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy and use what makes you happy!

I use TB Totes when I travel mostly by car, during ultra hot and freezing cold weather; when I go to a gathering where I have to wear nice looking clothes.

When I go to the library or the bookstore, I use the Large Shop Bag as add on to a TB Backpack.

I use TB Backpacks when I take public transport and walk as well as when I go to classes. Classes always mean textbooks, even paperback ones, are heavy. A backpack means better weight distribution.

I see that you from the U.K, I grew up in a small town in France and pionniered the use of backpacks. I started in high school and continued at University because of weight distribution of books and paper for notes.

I don't whose business it is to comment about your 3 backpacks, but I have been there. At the time people commented, the backpacks were no name brands bought at local stores, during back to school.

Your are Tom Bihn Bags, point to the label and say "handmade designer bag." Point out the age of the backpack and, go on your way.

Some years ago, during the humongous shoulder bag trend, peddled by shopping channels and super market tabloid/bird cage lining "celebrities,"
    women who followed the trend started having shoulder and back problems.
    It was a hot topic in cosmetics ads magazines and a big trending subject.

Celebrities have "people" who carry their bags, coats and other stuff.

Carrying a humongous leather shoulder bag, loaded with stuff gets heavy really fast, because it was "an investment piece", many women did not have the budget to replace them.

More women are now, using backpacks because it is easier on the back, with all the stuff we have to carry.

Besides girl's stuff, many have special diet or just prefect to carry lunch and special beverage in a reusable bottle.

For long commutes, a knitting project, a Kobo (e-reader), a book, a journal, a sketch pad... are really useful.

In northern Europe and many other places, weather is fickle, so a rain shell, a sweater/cardigan, hat/gloves when rain and cold just love to stick around or a sun hat, sunglasses and sunscreen are needed because of the heatwave.

All that adds up in weight, in my opinion, it is too much to carry in a tote and on one shoulder.

A backpack is much better!

I love my S19 and Daylight Backpack, in Halcyon, I am eyeing a DLBP in EDC Ballistic, all those colors are sooo yummy!

Backpack Sisterhood!

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you pick, IMO, some are going to think it’s cool, some are going to look down on it, and most are not going to be paying attention anyway. Unless the opinion of those that are going to look down on it is a deal-breaker for you (AND you have a different option that they won’t look down on), might as well go with what doesn’t hurt!

I am a female and work (partly) in academia where frankly nobody cares, but I carried an Ego for years as I felt messenger bags were more professional than backpacks. I liked the organization of the Ego a lot, and still use it sometimes. But no doubt about it, it is a heavy bag. For the most part that didn’t matter much as I rarely had to carry it far enough for the weight didn’t bug me. However, eventually as I settled into my workplace, I realized that people didn’t really care anyway, and over time I gradually got less and less diligent about switching out of my weekend EDC (Synapse 19 or Large Cafe Bag) into my weekday Ego. This worked out pretty well this summer as I started biking more regularly to work as the S19 is by far my best bag for this. My S19 is navy, so I think it’s fairly stealthy, but I also have a Mars Red one that I may switch into now that my five-year-old navy one has its scuffs. Or not; I like those scuffs and the stories behind them, and maybe there is something to be said for a more stealthy colour even if it does show some wear.

I can still see pulling out my Ego for some high-level meetings, though that’s a rare occurrence. But yeah, I think I’m all about the backpack now.

Forum Member
    Yorkshire, England, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    As @BWeaves said, 'do what works for you'. Humans are always evaluating through whatever cultural and cognitive filters they have - you won't be able to meet everyone's contradictory expectations all the time, and why should you? Do what works for you, knowing that there will be differing opinions. Sometimes those opinions have consequences - they can be both good & bad - but you can't escape being judged.
    Sorry for all the philosophy, I've been reading a lot of Behavioral Psych lately Smilie

Oh I do!
    I’m just really interested in the social aspects of this topic Smilie

Also, I’ve noticed in the U.K. backpacks are more trendy again (when I was at school, backpacks were nerdy and messengers were cool!)

Just genuinely seeking thoughts and musings Smilie

Tom Bihn Newbie- HAVE: Synapse 19 (cloud grey & Island blue)
    WISHLIST: Medium cafe bag, Synapse 25, travel tray, 13 inch MacBook cache, iPad mini cache, Aeronaut 45 (grey/&UV), Spiff Kit, Side Kick

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've carried a backpack to work for years. My SE/purse goes inside along with lunch, water bottle, scarf/gloves. On Mondays it carries my vitamin caddy back to my desk and soup,tea or meal bars to replace my stash. If I stop somewhere after work, I just grab out my SE and go. If I'm headed into a store, I'll grab a shop bag from the back seat!

I never liked a tote for EDC, it always felt like the strap was sliding off my shoulder. Cross body or backpack straps work best for me...

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a teacher, I carry a backpack for work and no purse at all other wise. When I'm traveling I one-bag with a backpack. I do have a pop tote for things like the beach or if it's grading time and need to haul a big stack home. Luckily, I don't have to look like an executive. When I did still carry a purse I used a side effect.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backpacks FTW! I own six. It's been years since I had one suitable for my work stuff that also fits my shoulders, so I carry a tote to work. One of my favorite packs was a goofy-looking tiny thing with a zipped compartment against the back. I carried it in place of a PLO long after it was out of fashion and wore it out. That size is back again, so I've had my eye open for one. Women carrying backpacks is pretty normal where I am. So is coordinating your carry with your outfit, which I ignore most of the time. You can't please everyone, so enjoy your hands-free backpack life.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 09-10-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: to make complete sentences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually more inclined to wear a backpack during the summer because wearing an S19 with the bulk of my winter coat has me feeling like a turtle with a too small shell. The straps of the cafe bags shoosh nicely over the material—easy on, easy off, easy to swing around to the front or the back. The other thought that occurred is that you can use organizational options to help you not stand out in office situations while carrying the kind of bag that suits and pleases you. A large OP is great for a meeting...holds papers, a tablet, etc...Or, the Makers Bag FS... The main bag you carry could be left at your desk, hotel, car...

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s interesting what thoughts and assumptions people have about what you carry based on your gender/appearance/their perception of you.

I was pretty much always a backpack or messenger/satchel guy but in the past several months I’ve switched over to tote bags. In the first few days I was using one (from Rickshaw Bags) a coworker joked “Hey, I just want to tell you that’s a nice diaper bag.” Now, given its design and the tweed material I chose, the Rickshaw certainly does look like what a lot of folks carry for diaper bags. That resemblance never crossed my mind when I was shopping for and ordering the bag. I was thinking about will it carry my stuff the way I need it to and is it good value for money? But someone else saw it and just thought “diaper bag.” I deadpanned back to my coworker “Thanks, I appreciate it.” The best part is that right around that same time he announced he and his wife were expecting, so come late winter we’ll see who is carrying a bag with actual diapers in it. Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Was the fact that I’m a guy without kids carrying something that looks like a diaper bag incongruous with what someone else thought I should have for a bag? The short answer is that it doesn’t matter. As others have said, you have to use what works for you. If someone else thinks of you as X and that you shouldn’t carry Y because of it then that’s their issue.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post
    It’s interesting what thoughts and assumptions people have about what you carry based on your gender/appearance/their perception of you.

I was pretty much always a backpack or messenger/satchel guy but in the past several months I’ve switched over to tote bags. In the first few days I was using one (from Rickshaw Bags) a coworker joked “Hey, I just want to tell you that’s a nice diaper bag.” Now, given its design and the tweed material I chose, the Rickshaw certainly does look like what a lot of folks carry for diaper bags. That resemblance never crossed my mind when I was shopping for and ordering the bag. I was thinking about will it carry my stuff the way I need it to and is it good value for money? But someone else saw it and just thought “diaper bag.” I deadpanned back to my coworker “Thanks, I appreciate it.” The best part is that right around that same time he announced he and his wife were expecting, so come late winter we’ll see who is carrying a bag with actual diapers in it. Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Was the fact that I’m a guy without kids carrying something that looks like a diaper bag incongruous with what someone else thought I should have for a bag? The short answer is that it doesn’t matter. As others have said, you have to use what works for you. If someone else thinks of you as X and that you shouldn’t carry Y because of it then that’s their issue.
    I can relate in the opposite way. I am female who does not carry a purse. For some reason it bothers my bf. He cannot fathom why I don't. He is not the only one. I get looks from my coworkers and friends for the same reason. I guess it's just such a part of our culture. The same way women's pants don't have pockets or don't have functional pockets.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post
    That coworker probably had babies and diapers on the mind, due to their upcoming child... haven't you ever noticed that when you start looking into/researching something, suddenly you notice it *everywhere*?
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast