1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s interesting what you find ‘Second Hand’

With all the recents posts about great new TB items and specific colour options; and the corresponding disappointment some are finding in lack of availability, I’d like to present a side benefit to the TB model.

But first a disclaimer. I am one of those who wants a specific bag in a specific colour at a specific time. It’s frustrating at the best of times and I get caught up in the hype, same as others.

Back to the side benefit. Sometimes something comes up on the secondary market that you weren’t expecting. Maybe a colour scheme you weren’t expecting to see (or like). Or an item you didn’t even know existed.

Just this week I made two purchases, an S19 in Original Halcyon/Iberian and a Coco Brown/Chilli Red iPad Ristretto. Both bags aren’t my preferred colour but caught my eye. Both came with accessories. A small but nicely sized vertical cache for tablets (label KSP4R?) and a super cool cache for Apple keyboard!!! (Awesome, even though I don’t own an apple keyboard any more).

I had forgotten how much I liked the original halcyon, especially in the smaller S19. And original halcyon is great with Iberian, even though it doesn’t seem to be as common a combination. Ever since the newer ballistics came out, I’ve been focussing only on them. My Bad.

And the older Cordura Ristretto continues to be an amazing bag (I regularly use my 11 inch version) and the chilli interior is just proper wild.

I may keep these bags or may trade/sell them on but as nearly new items, I won’t loose much money if any on them and I get to try something new.

So the observation (to myself) is Chill Out. The benefit in all these different colour combinations and designs that TB releases in infuriatingly small batches is that much later you might just stumble over something unusual and unexpected.

Maybe keeping my mind open rather than closed to a specific item might lead to more TB happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice perspective! Yes, I’m quite fond of my “pre-loved” finds. I have a Verde/UV Smart Alec which I wouldn’t have thought to choose, but I’ve grown quite fond of it. My rescue SA. 😄

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Original halcyon with Iberian is my favorite combo...i have it in a tristar, night flight, and a side effect. Sadly i missed my chance for it in the S19 so i went with original halcyon with island (its nice too tho)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes not only colors but designs! Three times now I have bought bags second hand that I waffled on and decided not to buy new. When I found them used for a great price (sometimes with extras) I could not resist trying them out and I'm glad I took the chance.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought bags second hand that I waffled on and decided not to buy new.
    Agreed! Plus I don't feel so bad if they don't work out for me. It's easy to re-sell or gift them.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just this afternoon I bought a used but current TB accessory. I really don't like it when my Halcyon accessories clash so I have been waiting patiently for this color to become available again but it isn't even in production. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive! The second hand market can really fill a gap.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Just this afternoon I bought a used but current TB accessory. I really don't like it when my Halcyon accessories clash so I have been waiting patiently for this color to become available again but it isn't even in production. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive! The second hand market can really fill a gap.
    Congrats. What item did you find?

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A UV PCSB. I already have Fjord, Sitka, and NWS PCSBs so I think UV will coordinate with them the best out of the current Halcyon colors. I'm keeping an eye out for used Steel and Black ones too.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cocoa medium cafe bag. I didn't even know cocoa was a colour and only bought it because it was a good price and I like the MCB size. It is wonderful and came with a kiwi cordura inside, which is so calm and soothing compared to halcyon grid.

I've had so many great experiences with the second hand TB market, but that was my most unexpected pleasant surprise!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to top off a great week of lucky finds, I was super lucky to secure an Empire Builder and Absolute Strap at an amazing price.

I almost didn’t go for it (as I’ve never been on the market for an Empire Builder) but I was swayed by the price and thought I’d give it a go.

Wow, it’s great. Used in for a work trip into the city today. Sooo much space. Love trying out something different.

Keeping my eyes peeled for the next unusual option to pop up.