Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050

I'm considering getting a SCB in the new 525, but the color is really flummoxing me. On some pics it looks just like the 1050 (that extra little sparkle) and on others it looks flat and extremely dark. Can anyone help?
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Smilie Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since opinions of color can vary wildly, I would suggest asking customer service to send you swatches of the fabric so you can see for yourself. A lot of factors such as lighting can determine how color and sheen look in pictures. Just my two cents.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Pammy's suggestion, The Crew in charge of Customer Service are really happy to provide swatches.

Some colors, like Alphaviolet, Dawn and Nordic are true to the pictures.

Northwest Sky, Island in both Halcyon and EDC Ballistic are hard to pinpoint, so is Aubergine in EDC Ballistic.

I asked for a sample of both Island and Aubergine EDC/Light Ballistic, I love Aubergine in Travel/Tough Ballistic. I am very happy I did.

I forgot to ask for a sample of all the new grey colors, they are, the hardest to pinpoint, in my opinion.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody have both who can say if they are fairly identical or is there a difference? I haven't seen the 525 in person, but the 1050 is a little too bright for me. Hoping the 525 is a little darker?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    Anybody have both who can say if they are fairly identical or is there a difference? I haven't seen the 525 in person, but the 1050 is a little too bright for me. Hoping the 525 is a little darker?
    If they were different in a noticeable way, TB would not have called them both Aubergine. This was the explanation for Verde and Olive having different names, if I recall correctly: they are very close but Verde is a bit brighter.

You can always ask for swatches, but my guess from seeing other 525 and 1050 colors is that the weaves will reflect light differently (and they may therefore photograph differently) but they are essentially the same.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have samples of both. The 525 is smoother, and the 1050 has more texture, but they are the same color. However, that difference in the smoothness of the surface will cause the light to reflect differently. It's sort of like the difference between satin and velvet in the same color.

But they are exactly the same color.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Aubergine Swift and just received an Aubergine MCB. Placed side by side the MCB looks just a teensy bit darker, due to the weave. They are both beautiful, imhoHeart Eyes

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Smart Alec and Side Effect in the 1050 Aubergine and a Pop Tote in the 525. The difference is clear. The 1050 has more of a reddish/berry tint and reflects the light more. The 525 looks darker. I prefer the 1050, it seems a bit warmer. Not that I'm sending the tote back or anything. ^_^

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @crossedbooker,

I’m going to quote an answer I gave two days ago to a similar about whether 210d Ballistic Coyote was diffèrent from 1050d Ballistic Coyote:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @b1gsky,

The color balance in the shots of 210d Ballistic Shopbag in Coyote taken under the factory floor lights makes it look more “mustard yellow” on my screen, too, than the Coyote is in real life — I have one of the new 210d Coyote 3D Organizer Cubes for reference. @G42 posted some pictures of the 3DOCs she received 4 days ago in the Your Photos are Needed thread, but the shot taken of the Coyote 3DOC was an unboxing pic with that accessory at the back of the box, so shadowing makes it look darker:

You can see that it is not mustard yellow, however. When you look at 1050d Ballistic Nylon you see the texture of the fibers: the tops of the fibers are more reflective. Going to smaller Ballistic Nylon fibers (525d and then 210d), the contrast in reflectivity between the tops of the fiber and the “valleys” in the weave is reduced, so the overall impression is between the brightest peaks and the darkest valleys of the 1050d fabric. Overall, it’s going to look slightly darker (more matte?) than the 1050d version, viewed straight on. (This is also true for Aubergine, going from 1050d to 525d, but the effect is less pronounced). I think this color is difficult to photograph well. You might check @maverick’s video of Nik’s minimalist wallets. At the start, and then in more detail halfway through, he shows one of the Wallets in 210d Coyote. I thought those colors were pretty accurate.

HTH

moriond
    Now, to be more specific, I’ll try to upload a picture of the different fabrics:
    New Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050-5b7e59a7-ea51-4f4c-b935-936879d02803-jpeg

This is 525d Ballistic Aubergine in the Small Cafe Bag lying on top of my 1050d Ballistic Aubergine/Hemp Imago (a retired bag). You can see that the finer thread (525d) looks darker, just as I described in my quoted post. I also show a 1050d Ballistic Coyote Side Effect next to a 210d Ballistic Coyote 3D Organizer Cube. The same effect can be seen there.

What this doesn’t give you a feeling for us how the color impression of Ballistic Nylon changes with lighting and angle. Flat surface pictures, like those of the Cafe Bags and Wallets, typically accentuate the darker shade. If I angle the bags/accessories, or catch the curvature of the surface, the impression is different. (You typically can’t judge this effect well even with the small fabric swatch samples).

I’ll try a quick post of the new Luminary 15 in 525d Aubergine Ballistic with the 210d Ballistic Coyote 3DOC on top:
    New Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050-bea00788-cca6-4919-845b-2100060f3d5c-jpeg
    The difference is that the surface is curved (or angled), so you see the highlights differently. This will also apply to the colors of your Aubergine Small Cafe Bag, when not viewed on a flat surface.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took these photos near a window, but the flash is what really set off the difference in 1050 and 525. The first is a yeoman duffel (1050) close up. The second is a sidekick (525) close up. To me the colors are the same and like others have stated the light just bounces off different. The 525 seems darker to me because its just not reflecting as much light. Bottom line I'm so in love with all things aubergine.New Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050-dsc00983-jpegNew Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050-dsc00984-jpegNew Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050-img_20190204_132342_01-jpeg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a side by side. Forgot about my q-kit that is 1050. With the 525 sidekick. New Aubergine 525 vs. Aubergine 1050-dsc01010-jpeg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also seen 1050 and 525 Aubergine in person. Even though they are dyed the same color, they reflect light differently. Aubergine is my favorite color in 1050, but I don't care for it in 525. Without the extra texture of the 1050, the 525 looks a bit flat and dark. This may or may not bother you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I've also seen 1050 and 525 Aubergine in person. Even though they are dyed the same color, they reflect light differently. Aubergine is my favorite color in 1050, but I don't care for it in 525. Without the extra texture of the 1050, the 525 looks a bit flat and dark. This may or may not bother you.
    Agreed. I was a little bummed to receive the 525 MCB because it lacks the warmth and oomph the 1050 has. The 525 by comparison is quite flatter/duller. I absolutely love the 1050, but only find the 525 okay.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the 525! I find it more stealthy compared to the 1050, which definitely has pizazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I love the 525! I find it more stealthy compared to the 1050, which definitely has pizazz.
    This is precisely why I like the Aubergine in 525. I have an S25 in this fabric, and it's dark and muted enough to carry for work without screaming, HELLO I'M PACKING PURPLE TODAY. (Even though sometimes I want to scream, lol.)
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon