Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading through these posts, I went back and added up how much I've spent on TB stuff. Since April. Some are accessories I've shared with my kids, but most are mine! Some were items I didn't have before, but a lot replaced items of lesser quality, that I got rid of!

I'm in a 720 sq foot house, with teenage boys (OK, only one now!) We have a pretty good One In/One Out policy. There were two backpacks and 4 drawstring bags in the last Goodwill run! When I go through the boxes I've been carting around for the last 8 years or so, my little house will feel spacious!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm eagerly waiting my first Tom Bihn bag (Synapse 25 GE) and hoping it doesn't turn into an addiction! Although...I did order the same bag in two different colors. Why? I have no idea...

I may be in trouble. haha

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Reading through these posts, I went back and added up how much I've spent on TB stuff. Since April.
    I use Personal Capital to track my spending, etc... and I ended up creating a specific 'Tom Bihn' category to classify those purchases vs 'general merchandise', so now I can see at a glance what I spent per month and per year...

ummm, it's not pretty (tho the bags are!)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I use Personal Capital to track my spending, etc... and I ended up creating a specific 'Tom Bihn' category to classify those purchases vs 'general merchandise', so now I can see at a glance what I spent per month and per year...

ummm, it's not pretty (tho the bags are!)
    I've created a Tom Bihn Excel spreadsheet to track my purchases. Item, color, price, date purchased, capacity, dimensions.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    I've created a Tom Bihn Excel spreadsheet to track my purchases. Item, color, price, date purchased, capacity, dimensions.
    Oh boy, now I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Itís funny (or is it irony). We come to TB for the ďone bagĒ implying minimalism. Then proceed to buy aaaallllllll of them
    Your comment is interesting. For me, the TB brand represents a thoughtful approach to life with an anti-consumer focus. Even though multiple color combinations appeal to me, I can't imagine buying copies of the same bag just to have multiple colors, although certainly some TB customers are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I also don't have a large collection of bags sitting unused in my closet; instead of matching the situation to a bag, I match the bag to the situation, if that makes sense. I only purchase a new bag when its clear that my current options are grossly not meeting my needs. Buying unneeded items just seems wasteful to me. Perhaps I'm not as typical of a TB customer as I assumed.
    Last edited by ThomGault; 09-22-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mel_h View Post
    Oh boy, now I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.
    Want to really have fun? Try setting up your inventory in the Airtable app. It's a simple database that you can completely personalize each database you create, sort easily, etc., and you can add pics! I use it for all types of inventories - TB, photo equipment, fountain pen collection, fabric purchased for sewing, etc. helps me see what I have and it's fun and easy to set up and use.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Nice to know I’m not alone in this.

I’m starting with an inventory, then will do a combo of a purge / refresh, I think. I love the fact that these bags are so resellable / trade-able.

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Airtable! I didn't know if anyone used it or it was popular. I have all of my books inventoried in it because I got tired of accidentally buying the same ones.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Your comment is interesting. For me, the TB brand represents a thoughtful approach to life with an anti-consumer focus. Even though multiple color combinations appeal to me, I can't imagine buying copies of the same bag just to have multiple colors, although certainly some TB customers are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I also don't have a large collection of bags sitting unused in my closet; instead of matching the situation to a bag, I match the bag to the situation, if that makes sense. I only purchase a new bag when its clear that my current options are grossly not meeting my needs. Buying unneeded items just seems wasteful to me. Perhaps I'm not as typical of a TB customer as I assumed.
    That's an interesting point of view on it. I agree that buying multiple bags in different colors just for the sake of having that color seems wasteful, especially at the Tom Bihn prices and shipping cost.

For having unused bags sitting in your closet, that's an easy problem to have especially if you browse this forum. You see people getting excited about a bag, so you buy the bag out of excitement and fomo (fear of missing out). You get the bag, try it out (even cut off the tag), and then realize that you don't have the same use for it (shopping for the "imaginary you") and then you just set it aside and it sits in your closet thinking "well, maybe someday I'll use it" and you never do.

On the flip side though, you could eventually return to that bag years later and say "hey, I forgot about this, I can use this now."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    Want to really have fun? Try setting up your inventory in the Airtable app. It's a simple database that you can completely personalize each database you create, sort easily, etc., and you can add pics! I use it for all types of inventories - TB, photo equipment, fountain pen collection, fabric purchased for sewing, etc. helps me see what I have and it's fun and easy to set up and use.
    That sounds like an awesome app! I'll have to try it out. My video game and movie collection is pretty nuts and sometimes I'll forget what I already have when shopping used sales.

Edit: Unfortunately, it seems that the Android app is broken and my phone is the only place I'd use it.

Last edited by nolegrl; 09-23-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy, your post has really made me think about my recent dilemma, of trying to make the DLBP work for me vs my beloved S19. I was thinking of situations where the DLBP may work better than S19, but other than the DLBP being lighter in weight, more packable, I really prefer my S19. So yeah, I realised I've also fallen into the trap of getting new bags out of FOMO. I have yet to use 90% of the bags I bought from my most recent purchase. Learnt my lesson of not cutting off tags until I'm sure I want to use the bag. Might be selling the bags to recoup some of my $$$, alas....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Oh boy, your post has really made me think about my recent dilemma, of trying to make the DLBP work for me vs my beloved S19. I was thinking of situations where the DLBP may work better than S19, but other than the DLBP being lighter in weight, more packable, I really prefer my S19. So yeah, I realised I've also fallen into the trap of getting new bags out of FOMO. I have yet to use 90% of the bags I bought from my most recent purchase. Learnt my lesson of not cutting off tags until I'm sure I want to use the bag. Might be selling the bags to recoup some of my $$$, alas....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Wow nice haul! I'm also considering the dlbp, but I'm interested in comparing it to the Luminary 14, so I'll have to wait a bit for that. What I'm after is a mini synapse when I don't need the size of a full backpack but want the padding and structure of one and the luminary seems to be that bag.

Last edited by nolegrl; 09-23-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guilty!

I recently bought a TB mini duffel bag to keep all my Snake Charmers in

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the longest time I thought an s25 and sidekick were my magic combination, I have since evolved my packing style and prefer s19 for week or less trips and smart alec for anything longer, I also like the pop tote for beach weekends or for my dog's stuff when he travels with us. I guess I just came to realize that there was no one bag to rule them all for me. That I prefer different bags for different trips. When traveling only with the s25 I found that either I didn't like the unused space, would over pack, or prefer a different carry. While it was a great one bag for many years, it's retired for me for now.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast