Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

laptop+ipad in an aeronaught? Western Flier? Trying to get to one bag travel

When I travel for a week of business, I need a spot for a big engineering laptop (that i don't need on the plane) and an ipad that i need on the plane. Once I'm at the hotel, I unload clothes and essentially carry my laptop+chargers+notebooks. My current load out is Smart alec for laptop and fancy clothes and then i either use my nightflier or pilot as my personal item+socks/underwear/etc.

I'd like to get down to truly one bag travel though. my questions are

1) can you put a 15.6" laptop in an aeronaught?

2) is there a spot for an ipad in a western flier? or do you just stick it in with the laptop?

3) How do these bags look with just a laptop in them? would that be ok for a casual work place?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel with the A45 or A30 with a laptop and don't use my laptop on the flight, so it can stay in the bag.

Some folks put the laptop (in some sort of protective sleeve or the cache) in the back pocket where the backpack straps are.

I put the laptop in the main compartment. I unzip the divider between the side pocket that is 'on top' when it's in backpack mode and let the laptop steal some of that space. I'm not worried about the laptop in a sleeve inside the bag in the overhead bin. I would remove the laptop if I had to check the bag for some bizarre reason... more because laptops in checked bags are a theft magnate than worry about the protection if it's in a sleeve and between layers of packing cubes.

I put the stuff I want at my seat into a shop bag or Side Kick or DLBC (you could use just about anything) and keep that in the main compartment (on top) whilst I am in backpack mode getting to the gate at the airport. Just before boarding, I take out the smaller bag so that the Aeronaut goes into the overhead and the small bag goes under the seat. Reverse the process once I get off of the plane.

So I use the A30 or A45 depending on length of trip and how much stuff I need for that particular trip.

I have a WF and TS but haven't traveled with them on a plane yet.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

laptop+ipad in an aeronaught? Western Flier? Trying to get to one bag travel

One bagging is tough! Especially when you have two uses. The A45 is a huge bag. It will get everything you can imagine to your destination. But for a day bag, it not gonna be that great. Itíll be floppy itíll be uncomfortable. The load inside it will just move around. Would not recommend.

The WF is the other end as a day bag itíll be good. But you might not get everyone you need into it for the trip. If you can then great, go with that.

Maybe consider the tri star? Itís bigger than the WF and designed similarly. I have no experience with this bag though (I own the A45,30 and wf).

Iíd highly recommend two bagging and carrying them bag in bag. DLBP or pilot for the laptop etc and just put it in your A45 for the trip. Get to destination pull it out and youíre off.

And to answer the questions.

Yes the laptop can go in the huge centre area of the A45. I normally put it between layers of packing cubes and tighten the load internal straps.

A small ipad would fit in the WF I guess. A big iPad definitely wonít fit. Donít know what model you have but also donít have my WF on me to give you dimensions of the larger front pocket.

Looking professional I wouldnít know. Cos I donít care what a bag looks like or what others think. Iíd imagine the WF would be fine but might get looks from a huge duffel bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LordAnubis; 09-21-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have travelled with the TS and A45 together and by themselves and I too prefer to not try to 1 bag just for its own sake. As mentioned above neither bag style is really ideal for all carry situations.

With a big laptop like you suggest I will always carry it in its own case of some kind,the only exception being Toughbook machines,it is just not worth the risk or hassle of not being able to carry a huge laptop by itself if needed and as long as I do not plan to I seem to need to?!

On the other hand I have carried the TS as an only bag but with the computer in a sleeve at the very least and it works well even overloaded like crazy,at least I have no real issues with it like that.

I have also carried the A45 nearly empty and also have no problems there.

For me the real test of a great design is that a bag just works period.

I think we often spend way too much time analyzing this whole thing,and I have fun doing so too while forgetting sometimes that these are each just great designs and flexible enough to be great through adversity which is what travel has really become for me in the sky!

Lately I have been carrying the A45/Pilot combo everywhere and the Pilot is almost always able to slide into the A45 as needed but I also am over the whole 1 bag thing now too and can not tell you how liberating that feels!

I also often carry a huge messenger bag these days along with the A45/Pilot,I just have too much crap!

Forum Member
    Cincinnati, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a ThinkTank My 2nd Brain inside the A45 for exactly this purpose. Works excellent. A Pilot would likely also work.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tristar would be my first thought because most tablets fit in the largest front pocket (not the monster 12" iPad Pro), but it might look silly mostly empty. Don't sleep on the BrainBag's 36 liters of hugeness. It can hold a bunch of stuff, and cinch down when in daily carry mode.

With that said, I'm a 2 bag guy that loves using a Synapse and Yeoman Duffel in tandem...

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's actually backup a minute here.

Tom Bihn bags seldom have direct laptop compartments, though there are exceptions. Most instead let you insert a sleeve called a "cache" into a compatible bag. The sleeve protects your laptop and clips into special rails that the host bag uses to keep it in place. That way, you buy the bag, and add a sleeve based on your laptop size. The caches are usually TSA-friendly in that you can remove them from your bag, but leave them clipped in, to go through security.

Bags like the Western Flyer support the cache and are designed to have the cache clipped in. The Aeronaut bags do not have rails for caches. So in general, if you want a dedicated laptop compartment, the Aeronaut is perhaps not the best choice.

Other commenters mentioned the Tristar, which is similar to the Western Flyer but bigger and with three compartments. If you're new to one-bagging, the Western Flyer may be perhaps a bit too small for your tastes; it's seriously a small bag for travel purposes. Whether it or the Tristar work for you in professional settings depends entirely on how professional you want to look. They will both look like floppy, kind of goofy briefcases when carried that way. Whether that's okay depends on you and your tastes.

Also be aware of the difference between a bag that converts into being a backpack vs a real backpack. If you get a real backpack, like the Synapse 25, it feels amazing and the weight distribution is just right. In contrast, an Aeronaut or Tristar, when used in "backpack mode," are serviceable but far from the most comfortable packs. So in general, I'd recommend getting one that has a primary mode based on how you anticipate using it. I generally don't like backpacks, so for me, the Aeronaut is amazing as long as I'm not packing my laptop in it.

If I'm packing a laptop and clothes in one bag, I'd probably buy a Tristar. But I seldom do that.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít like the way my laptop fits in the A30, I prefer the Tristar for this.

Forum Member
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my last work trip, where I flew to California for a quick two-day onsite at my client's location, I used my new Cadet briefcase and Tri-Star. I had with me my 15" behemoth of a Dell laptop and 10.5" iPad Pro. I also had my MCB as my in-flight personal item. Here's how I worked it:

Back compartment of TS: Packing cubes with clothing, plus my small Travel Tray with chargers, medicine, and other hotel bedside necessities.
    Middle compartment of TS: Cadet with laptop, available for easy removal at TSA checkpoint (no cache). Fortunately, I have TSA PreCheck so I didn't need to worry about this.
    Front compartment of TS: MCB with iPad Pro, .75L Camelbak Chute water bottle, various snacks for the flight, and my BeatsX earphones. I also had my 3-1-1 toiletries bag here.
    The front pockets of the TS had my home/car keys on a key strap, plus that's where I stuffed my various receipts from the trip as I got them.

When I used the TS in backpack mode (going through both PHL and LAX airports), I stored the Absolute Strap in the "water bottle" pocket in the front of the TS. I used the Absolute Strap while onsite at my client with the Cadet briefcase (that Dell laptop is heavy). Using the TS in backpack mode is its killer feature. This let me have everything neatly organized and balanced on my back as I trudged through the airports.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest driving force for one-bag travel has been airlines' punitive treatment of luggage. I've saved enough carry-on fees on the discount carriers to have bought a few more TB bags by now. Otherwise it's more or less an irrational but enjoyable pursuit of less.

One surprising thing about an under-seat bag has been the luxury of avoiding the mad rush to get on the plane. Most airports are much more comfortable than an airplane seat, no matter what class you're in, and most people clamoring to get on a cramped metal tube full of sick babies FIRST are doing so because of the overhead bins.

My industry is very business casual, so the WF fits well, but comments are correct that it can look sloppy when under-packed. It's usually fine with a large laptop in a cache. iPad would best go in half the front pocket of the WF or TS, with the lappy in a cache in the back.

I would also consider the DLBC as a nesting briefcase as well if you went with an A45 (A30 probably too small for a large eng. laptop).