Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to wash Smart Alec?

After few years of use I'd like to wash the entire bag.
    However, if I'm not mistaken, the smart Alec is waterproof, so I'm a bit afraid to wash away the wax or whatever makes it waterproof.

How should I proceed to clean it properly?
    And after washing, can I apply some new waterproofing product?

Thanks

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what Tom Bihn Inc says in the FAQ:

How do I clean my bag?

We recommend hand-washing your TOM BIHN bag with a mild detergent — environmentally friendly dish soaps work well, but as always, with any soap, test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the bag before you use it on the entire bag. (PalmoliveŽ and DawnŽ soaps may be too harsh!) Fill your sink or bathtub with warm water, add a little soap (a little goes a long way), and let the bag soak for a half hour. If there are visible spots of dirt, gently rub the area with a washcloth, or you can apply a little soap directly to that spot and let it soak. Rinse your bag thoroughly (this is a lot easier if you've only used a little bit of soap) and lay your bag flat on top of a bath towel to dry.

Methods we DON'T recommend:
    Having your bag dry-cleaned or putting your bag in a washing machine or dryer will void the guarantee and make your bag look funny. We don't want either of those things to happen. Your TOM BIHN bag can last for years. The fabrics we use to make our bags are treated with a water-resistant coating, but over time, that coating will start to dissipate. If you live in a rainy climate like we do, we'd recommend treating your bag with Nikwax after one year of use.

Below is the answer I gave you to help, I then realized that there was a topic about it on the FAQ.

The Crew also know as Customer Service Extraordinaire is wonderful, email, message or call them if you want to find out what the best soap is and more information on cleaning your Smart Alec and how to apply Nikwax, the water repellent recommended by Tom Bihn

Wash the bag with eco friendly dish soap, the kind used to handwash dishes. I use, one or two drops of 7th generation free and clear, after soaking the bag in plain cold water, the drops suds and dislodge whatever dirt was there. There is no need to scrub.

Do not put it in the washing machine!!

Fill your bathtub or your sink with cold soapy water, immerse the bag, rince it thoroughly, let it air dry on top of a towel.

After it is thoroughly dry, I let bags air dry a day or two, depending on the warmth and humidity in your area.

Then, you can apply Nikwax which Tom Bihn sells. https://www.tombihn.com/products/nik...nt=16645280391

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I washed one of my bags (S19) for the first time about a week ago, and I followed the directions that backpack has so graciously copied above. Everything turned out fine. I soaked the S19 in cold water with Eucalan wool wash in the bath tub, then rinsed it with the help of the shower head. I hung it on the shower curtain rod and put a fan on it to help it dry because I can't put anything on my balcony (smoking neighbor). After it was dry, I used the Nikwax Tent & Gear on both it and my S25. It dried totally clear and they both seem "refreshed" now.

Good luck!

Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    This is what Tom Bihn Inc says in the FAQ:

How do I clean my bag?

We recommend hand-washing your TOM BIHN bag with a mild detergent — environmentally friendly dish soaps work well, but as always, with any soap, test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the bag before you use it on the entire bag. (PalmoliveŽ and DawnŽ soaps may be too harsh!) Fill your sink or bathtub with warm water, add a little soap (a little goes a long way), and let the bag soak for a half hour. If there are visible spots of dirt, gently rub the area with a washcloth, or you can apply a little soap directly to that spot and let it soak. Rinse your bag thoroughly (this is a lot easier if you've only used a little bit of soap) and lay your bag flat on top of a bath towel to dry.

Methods we DON'T recommend:
    Having your bag dry-cleaned or putting your bag in a washing machine or dryer will void the guarantee and make your bag look funny. We don't want either of those things to happen. Your TOM BIHN bag can last for years. The fabrics we use to make our bags are treated with a water-resistant coating, but over time, that coating will start to dissipate. If you live in a rainy climate like we do, we'd recommend treating your bag with Nikwax after one year of use.

Below is the answer I gave you to help, I then realized that there was a topic about it on the FAQ.

The Crew also know as Customer Service Extraordinaire is wonderful, email, message or call them if you want to find out what the best soap is and more information on cleaning your Smart Alec and how to apply Nikwax, the water repellent recommended by Tom Bihn

Wash the bag with eco friendly dish soap, the kind used to handwash dishes. I use, one or two drops of 7th generation free and clear, after soaking the bag in plain cold water, the drops suds and dislodge whatever dirt was there. There is no need to scrub.

Do not put it in the washing machine!!

Fill your bathtub or your sink with cold soapy water, immerse the bag, rince it thoroughly, let it air dry on top of a towel.

After it is thoroughly dry, I let bags air dry a day or two, depending on the warmth and humidity in your area.

Then, you can apply Nikwax which Tom Bihn sells. https://www.tombihn.com/products/nik...nt=16645280391
    Quote Originally Posted by mel_h View Post
    I washed one of my bags (S19) for the first time about a week ago, and I followed the directions that backpack has so graciously copied above. Everything turned out fine. I soaked the S19 in cold water with Eucalan wool wash in the bath tub, then rinsed it with the help of the shower head. I hung it on the shower curtain rod and put a fan on it to help it dry because I can't put anything on my balcony (smoking neighbor). After it was dry, I used the Nikwax Tent & Gear on both it and my S25. It dried totally clear and they both seem "refreshed" now.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the answer. I feel dumb I didn't check the FAQ first (like I usually do). But still the direct experience to me is the best advice.
    I have already the Nikwax TX Direct Spray ON, is it the same? This one I have to apply on the wet material though. Is this still ok?

Then my concern is the soft spong at the back and the covering material in the inside, will it dry? And is that also waterproof?

I don't have special soap to use because I'm not in the US and the products here suck, but can I use a normal laundry soap?

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Asia for 2 years and the Balkans for 3, so I can understand what you're saying about product choice! I'd say that a "regular" laundry detergent would be fine, but I'd look for a plain liquid without bleach or fabric softeners. You'll probably want to avoid those cheap white powders because they seem pretty rough on fabric. Also, if there happens to be a knitting or yarn store wherever you are, they might sell a good wool wash like Eucalan.

As for the Nikwax, that I don't know, but I'm interested to read what others have to say. If nothing else, you can always apply it to a small patch in the interior and see how it dries.

Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mel_h View Post
    I lived in Asia for 2 years and the Balkans for 3, so I can understand what you're saying about product choice! I'd say that a "regular" laundry detergent would be fine, but I'd look for a plain liquid without bleach or fabric softeners. You'll probably want to avoid those cheap white powders because they seem pretty rough on fabric. Also, if there happens to be a knitting or yarn store wherever you are, they might sell a good wool wash like Eucalan.

As for the Nikwax, that I don't know, but I'm interested to read what others have to say. If nothing else, you can always apply it to a small patch in the interior and see how it dries.
    Yeah, I'm gonna try tomorrow, following the instructions for cleaning and then applying the Nikwax as per instruction on the label.

Wish me luck!

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck!

Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washed and dried, everything was fine. I applied vaseline on the zips, the Nikwax on the entire body (except for the back part), but didn't test it yet.
    Thanks for the advices!