Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadet vs Pilot vs DLBC

Hello All,
    Recently came across Tombihn when I was looking for a lightweight alternative for my EDC work bag. I'm an organisational junkie and when I bumped into TB site I just got hooked and for the last few days been reading forums and reviews of TB bags.

Presently I carry a Satchel and Page Leather briefcase for my work and its an elegant bag but weighs 3.5 LB when empty. I walk 1-2km daily and commute in subway for 30 mins, sometimes standing. So I need a lightweight option and was looking at Timbuk2 before bumping into TB.

(1) Usually on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursdays: I carry a moleskine regular sized writing notebook, pens, bifold wallet, 300ml travel mug, 2 lunch boxes, coins, bills etc. Sometimes an iPad 9.7.
    (2) On Mondays and Fridays I carry my X250 thinkpad laptop (12"), 600 ml klean kanteen water bottle in addition to the above setup.

I need a single bag which can cater to both my above mentioned scenarios. I believe cadet and pilot can fit these items but I don't like the proportions (they are taller). I wish they were a tad shorter and would have picked up pilot in an instance. I like the proportions of DLBC much but not sure if it can fit all these items? If yes I will go for it. Stowaway's length/height is proportionate but it's too wide and bulky and I don't like bags which dual as backpacks and messengers. Need your help to decide (no backpacks please due to my work environment and nature).

Have attached few pictures for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cadet vs Pilot vs DLBC-img_2093-jpg  Cadet vs Pilot vs DLBC-img_2092-jpg  Cadet vs Pilot vs DLBC-img_2091-jpg 
    Last edited by Ganesh400d; 09-24-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have 2 shoulder bags and one backpack listed. Which is your preferred carry method?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Well you have 2 shoulder bags and one backpack listed. Which is your preferred carry method?
    Hey Jeff, my preference is shoulder/messenger bag. I do not prefer backpack as they may not be business appropriate and maybe too casual at my work place.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an organizational junkie too and I use a Pilot with an absolute shoulder strap. I love the Pilot because of all of the pockets and o-rings that allow me to customize my organizational needs. I just got a new, thinner work laptop so the Pilot is a little large now, but I like that. Now I have room to occasionally carry other items like library books and an umbrella, without having to carry two bags.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think the Pilot is more everyday carry/travel with tech organization, where the Cadet is a computer/tech bag. I love how Tom Bihn does center water bottle pouches like in the Pilot.

But I would email customer service and see if your lunch containers fit in the front side pouches. I think they will, but couldn't hurt to make sure and spare yourself returning something because it doesn't...

I'm just one opinion, so wait for others too.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @buttuglyjeff said, definitely check the lunch container size to the Pilot pockets...
    ...and they would be on end, so check that they are the type that don't leak...

The only other thing would be if BOTH beverage containers are able to fit... if the two front pockets have pens & lunch boxes... the laptop and ipad would go in the main compartment and misc. papers & moleskin in the back thin pocket...
    But with one bottle in the bottle pocket, the second (maybe the zojirushi) would go inside the main pocket, next to the laptop - you'd have to confirm the internal dimensions with TB
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Will these items fit in DLBC?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a Maker Bag? You could add a cache for your laptop or iPad, but it might give you some more options in a smaller profile than the pilot or cadet.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That satchel looks stylish as all hell, but yeah, super heavy.

I'd probably take a second look at the Pilot. It's not a super-tall bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your inputs. Will all these items fit into DLBC? I can buy alternate thinner lunch boxes if need be. 4Ē is enough depth to carry most of the stuff I mentioned as my current carry on is 4Ē. But I cant say from the pictures and videos. Couldnít find videos where the insides of the bag are clearly shown.

I like the makers bag. Very good in terms of storage capacity. The only question I have is whether it looks feminine. I know itís a matter of preference but I donít want to be carrying a man purse sort of bag to work.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganesh400d View Post
    Thank you for your inputs. Will all these items fit into DLBC? I can buy alternate thinner lunch boxes if need be. 4” is enough depth to carry most of the stuff I mentioned as my current carry on is 4”. But I cant say from the pictures and videos. Couldn’t find videos where the insides of the bag are clearly shown.

I like the makers bag. Very good in terms of storage capacity. The only question I have is whether it looks feminine. I know it’s a matter of preference but I don’t want to be carrying a man purse sort of bag to work.
    I think that depending on what fabric you got, you'd be fine as far as appearances go - maybe the black or steel ballistic. I think especially in the steel that it looks more like a camera bag than anything else. You might just have to see it in person, but I think it's a fairly unisex bag. There are pictures of men carrying it on the product page if you wanted to see it in context.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

North Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a guy who uses the Maker's Bag in a shirt and tie sort of work setting. Mine is black halcyon with island interior. I think the black looks very classy and professional. I have found that with the halcyon, it looks more man purse-like when it's under packed and just contours to your body. When moderately packed out with laptop, etc, it looks more like a nice laptop bag or briefcase and keeps its form as you wear it.

I'm sure the ballistic versions keep their form better with less stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great inputs. I was going through the forum for other comments about makers bag and came across something unique and thought of giving it a try which never occurred to me so far. I always presumed that I can never see a TB bag in person unless I visit the store.

I live in Hong Kong. If there are any Tom Bihn owners in HK who wouldnít mind showing their bag it would be very helpful. Iím particularly after DLBC, pilot and makers bag.