Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side effect - halcyon or ballistic?

I'm newly on board the belt bag / fanny pack train (so convenient!) and of course I must have a side effect! Halcyon is my preferred fabric for my TB bags because of its flexibility (and i just love the checked pattern). I know they've made halcyon versions in the past but none are on the website to purchase nor in production right now and unclear when they'll start making them again. Should I wait for the halcyon or just pull the trigger on a ballistic fabric? Can anyone who has both chime in on the pros and cons of either and your recommendation?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít recall if they have never made the side effect in halcyon as the primary material, however, Iím always looking on eBay for previously-used Tom Bihn bags, so that might be something worth doing.

That being said, I have two side effects that I travel with. Ballistic black which has my toiletries and electronics stuff and Ballistic Aubergine (I bought from a Tom Bihn trade Facebook group) that I put extra electronic cords into.

I really like those bags, but if you really want it in halcyon, I would recommend calling them and asking if there has been previous runs and if they are considering future runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one in ballistic and it is gorgeous but I am about to sell mine because I just never used it and I have had it for many years.
    Synapse25, Pilot, Co-pilot, Side Effect, Large Shop Bag, Small shop bagLarge zippered Shop bag, Large Travel Tray

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Original Halcyon with the white grid, lined with Wasabi. The horizontal layout holds all of my insulin supplies AND my Kindle Paperwhite. It's my EDC, either worn cross body or stuffed in my daypack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Side Effect has been made in both the 400d and 200d halcyon in the past. For the most up-to-date information whether the SE will be made in halcyon, your best bet is to call or email customer service. They are always extremely helpful. Then you will know whether or not halcyon ones will be going into production soon.

As to the question of ballistic or halcyon, the 525 ballistic holds its shape a little better than halcyon, but is not nearly as stiff as the previously used 1050d ballistic. Itís sort of a happy medium between the two fabrics. Generally I prefer halcyon but I do like the colors of 525 ballistic.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Reading, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two penn’orth - I’ve always had ballistic items for my main bags, but I did get my side effect in halcyon 400 and it’s perfect. I don’t think it’s big enough to warrant the ballistic material and halcyon has turned out to be perfect. It’s great for clipping on the seat backs during flights (using a pair of carabiners) and the material means it’s really flexible and can hold a lot of things.
    Cadet(EDC), Large Cafť Bag, WesternFlyer w. Packing cubes, Side Effect, Small Travel Tray, Clear Organiser Wallet.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own two SEs, one in Nordic Halcyon and one in Black 525 Ballistic. As expected, the ballistic one has more structure, which means it's less forgiving when I load it up, but it "hangs" and looks better when I use it as a shoulder bag. I use the ballistic one as a shoulder bag/purse that I stuff into my S25 which is my usual daily carry, and I use the Nordic Halcyon one to hold my LL Bean rain jacket, which I fold up, stuff in the SE, and keep tucked into the lower pocket of my S25. (I live in Florida and summertime means monsoon-style rainstorms, so I'm never without an umbrella and rain jacket.) I've used the Halcyon one for a shoulder bag before, and it does seem to enable me to stuff it with more goodies.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I‘d say that it depends on what you want to do with the SE. I have a 1050d ballistic SE which is kind of a bullet proof purse. Thus, I use it mainly for heavier stuff such as my penknife, flashlight, Leatherman, etc. I also have a black 400d Halcyon SE which I consider to be more pleasing as the fabric is a lot softer and much more elegant. However, the 525 d ballistic is also a very nice material for small items (I have two cubelets). Overall, if I would buy more SEs I think I would go for Halcyon as it has a very nice and „crisp“ texture, feel and look and is very versatile.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your valuable input - love the Tom Bihn community! I took the advice of some and emailed TB customer service and they let me know there is a possibility there will be a halcyon exterior in the next run after this one! I love me some ballistic but don't think I'll need the structure of a ballistic so I'll go ahead an wait for the halcyon since that is my favorite