Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best knitting accessories

Hi all, I just started getting into knitting, perhaps gearing up for winter.

What bags/accessories do other knitters love from TB? I looked into the Swift, but it seems a little large for me at this point. So I ordered a Yarn Stuff Sack ó at least itís a start. Any others you use?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket79 View Post
    Hi all, I just started getting into knitting, perhaps gearing up for winter.

What bags/accessories do other knitters love from TB? I looked into the Swift, but it seems a little large for me at this point. So I ordered a Yarn Stuff Sack ó at least itís a start. Any others you use?
    Are you on Ravelry? There is a TB group there, join us!

A lot of people there like the Pop Tote, Travel Trays, Yarn Stuff Sacks and Shop Bags for knitting projects, in addition to the Swift of course (and its retired sibling, the Little Swift). It kind of depends on if you're using it to take a project out somewhere or if you're mostly using it at home, and if you do one project at a time or have multiple on the go at once.

I am doing small project at the moment so I'm using a Little Swift (with a 3DOC for my knitting notions) but actually if you're doing anything like a sweater or if you want to carry multiple projects, a Swift or a Pop Tote might work better than you think. Are you carrying another bag at the same time? If you're headed to a Full TB situation, then you could carry the Swift or PT with a Side Effect or Side Kick inside for essentials.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Swift is a great knitting bag - itís been my knitting bag since 2009 - but how you organize within it is totally based on personal preference. Itís basically a big open bucket that you configure the way you want (the pockets provide a start). Do you want to keep just projects in it? Is it a tool bag for you? So many options!

For me the Swift is my home base for all my tools, and thereís room for one or two small to medium projects. Within it, I use a combination of small double organizer pouches, knitting tool pouches (size 2 and 3), mini Q-kits, and travel stuff sacks for my tools. I know that a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag also fits well inside it, but it doesnít really fit for me.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bags/accessories do other knitters love from TB?
    - Q-Kit! Best notions pouch ever.
    - The YSS that you have on order is the favorite accessory in my knitting group. Six of us have Bihn knitting bags. Some of us like clear bottoms better, some like all fabric.
    - Do you use IC circular needles? There two pouches for cables: the #4 knitting pouch (my friend's favorite) and the cubelet (my favorite).
    - The freudian slip is a great in-bag organizer. I like the SCB or MCB Freudian Slip rather than the Swift one. Actually, Swift one didn't work for anyone in my knit group.
    - Double s-carabiners make great yarn guides. Sometimes TB has them, but not atm.

And like @Christina said, check out the TB forum on Ravelry. There's endless ideas there.

Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! Ravelry looks fantastic — I’ll join today.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the yarn stuff sack for the smaller projects (the yarn feed is awesome and the clear bottom
    Is super useful) then for bigger projects I use my A30 packing cube shoulder bag.
    Happy knitting! See you on Ravelry!

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double s-caribiner as yarn guide? Tell me more, please.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clip it to an O ring, or handle, or zipper, or whatever your bag. Here's my current set-up with a size 2 TSS. I clip it below the draw string slider and feed the yarn through the bottom S. Then I hang it from my belt loop using the top S and then I knit standing.

Best knitting accessories-tss-jpg

And inside my swift, clipped to an O ring.

Best knitting accessories-swift-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    - Q-Kit! Best notions pouch ever.
    - The YSS that you have on order is the favorite accessory in my knitting group. Six of us have Bihn knitting bags. Some of us like clear bottoms better, some like all fabric.
    - Do you use IC circular needles? There two pouches for cables: the #4 knitting pouch (my friend's favorite) and the cubelet (my favorite).
    - The freudian slip is a great in-bag organizer. I like the SCB or MCB Freudian Slip rather than the Swift one. Actually, Swift one didn't work for anyone in my knit group.
    - Double s-carabiners make great yarn guides. Sometimes TB has them, but not atm.

And like @Christina said, check out the TB forum on Ravelry. There's endless ideas there.
    It’s not a case of the Double Carabiner Clips that you used to be able to separately order from Parts sometime being in stock now — they’ve been out for a number of months, and the recommended vendor, Tyny Tools, also hasn’t had the Medium size clips for several months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizpdx View Post
    The Double Carabiner Clips were initially introduced with the Knitting Tool Pouches, which I also like to use as a general accessory pouch. They will still include a Double Carabiner Clip (Wasabi in color, like the ones in @twosandalz‘s pictures below), with any order that includes one or more Knitting Tool Pouch, as long as their supply lasts. (Note: they can’t separately sell any of these).

You can use them to turn a large, travel tray into a yarn bowl with yarn feed. They’re also good for general bag hacking, such as turning a Side Effect or Packing Cube Shoulder Bag into an Airline Seat Bag. The fact that the two loops swivel, and that the polycarbonate rings are sturdy are additional features. You may not be able to tell from the pictures, but the loops are also slightly flattened, so if you hook a pouch with a snaphook end onto a ring, it can slide along it.

HTH

moriond

PS The Knitting Tool Pouches currently only have the Size 2 pouch in stock. I use that for my laptop connectors (ends are protected with Ballistic Nylon reinforcement) or for cutlery (same reason); also works for pens when I don’t need the longer length of the size 3 or a pen/pencil pouch. In the Size 1 which is a Mini pouch, I stick phone SIM cards between the Ballistic Nylon ends and the clear window, so they’re held in place, protected, and still visible. Size 4 are for circular needles it also fit disk style inhalers—so, lots of uses in addition to the Knitting ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Clip it to an O ring, or handle, or zipper, or whatever your bag. Here's my current set-up with a size 2 TSS. I clip it below the draw string slider and feed the yarn through the bottom S. Then I hang it from my belt loop using the top S and then I knit standing.

Best knitting accessories-tss-jpg

And inside my swift, clipped to an O ring.

Best knitting accessories-swift-jpg