Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parent-to-be // Parental Unit + Changing Pad

Hi Forums. I'm going to be a dad! So I'm on the hunt for a diaper bag. I thought about re-purposing my S25, but I've always wanted a Parental Unit (even before we were expecting). My question is, what changing pad fits well in the PU?

If there are other "must haves" that work well with the PU, please share! TB products or not! Smilie
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!!

I'm not in the US so I can't speak to folding mats available there (I am sure others will provide good recs!), but any folding changing pad should fit in the PU's main pocket.

The curved shape means that there are little bonuses to what you can carry, for instance you can fit taller items (like full size spray sunscreen) in the ends of the main pocket near the strap attachments.

So you might be able to stand up a folding changing mat there, but even if not, you should be able to fit a folded mat by laying it down inside the main pocket.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the PU, I love this bag.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaOps View Post
    Hi Forums. I'm going to be a dad! So I'm on the hunt for a diaper bag. I thought about re-purposing my S25, but I've always wanted a Parental Unit (even before we were expecting). My question is, what changing pad fits well in the PU?

If there are other "must haves" that work well with the PU, please share! TB products or not! Smilie
    Congratulations!

Sorry, I can't recommend a changing pad or even other baby items - but you don't need to be a Dad to get a PU (although that is a jolly good reason!)!
    It is an amazingly useful bag for all sorts of things - work, play, travel - and easy to access all the pockets.

Treat yourself and enjoy it for many years to come!

North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the great news! My first is 14 months old and my search for a PU is what introduced me to TB. Itís a great diaper and just all round bag.

For changing pads, I liked the cheaper minimal folding kind with a vinyl changing surface (easy to wipe down). I donít know if this is the exact one we used but itís similar:

Obersee Baby Changing Mat, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHC9I3A..._br4YBb6161EWC

I also highly recommend grabbing some adult underpads. They are just absorbant water barrier pads made for chairs or beds and work great on the go. Use them in public changing stations and you can toss them if they get dirty. We kept one on our home changing pad for the first few months to help with extra ďaccidentsĒ mid diaper change. You just toss the disposable pad without having to stop and pull the changing pad cover. That happens less over time but is a life saver early.

For TB stuff, I recommend a 3DOC or an organizer pouch to carry the basic meds like Tylenol, gass drops, etc. Key straps are awesome as extra paci tethers. Just make sure you get pacis with a pull ring (some brands donít have them) for this to work. The PU has such good organization you donít need a lot else.

Caveat: the last several months we have shifted to just using a small shop bag to carry the basics, as our little one doesnít need quite as much extra stuff now.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by inky_thoughts; 10-20-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the PU and IIRC our Skip Hop Pronto fit in to it just fine... that being said I never really used the PU that much as I quickly found out (for me) that we only needed to take the minimum amount of stuff with us to most places so the PU was kind of overkill. For me and my wife the bags we use the most for our toddler and infant are the original TB shop bags. We use the small and large ones daily... they are the perfect compliment to your "normal" bag be it a cafe bag or whatever your EDC is. They are durable have just a little bit of organization on the sides for little odds and ends.

I don't want to steer you away from the PU as I did like that bag when I had it. I could see the utility in the PU but I have so many other bags it just wasn't getting much use.

Congrats by the way!

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We never really used a changing pad with our kid, he was a super long/tall baby and didn't fit on the changing pads that came with our diaper bag(s). What we did instead was to make sure we had a couple of receiving blankets that we could use to lay him down on. I was partial do the muslin wraps, because they were huge and soft, but the flannel ones worked well too. They're super multi-purpose, as opposed to a changing pad which is kind of a uni-tasker.
    My kid is 5 years old now, and we *still* find uses for the wraps, usually as a light blanket, way to block the sun in the car, or to sit on at the park.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inky_thoughts View Post
    Congrats on the great news! My first is 14 months old and my search for a PU is what introduced me to TB. It’s a great diaper and just all round bag.

For changing pads, I liked the cheaper minimal folding kind with a vinyl changing surface (easy to wipe down). I don’t know if this is the exact one we used but it’s similar:

Obersee Baby Changing Mat, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHC9I3A..._br4YBb6161EWC

I also highly recommend grabbing some adult underpads. They are just absorbant water barrier pads made for chairs or beds and work great on the go. Use them in public changing stations and you can toss them if they get dirty. We kept one on our home changing pad for the first few months to help with extra “accidents” mid diaper change. You just toss the disposable pad without having to stop and pull the changing pad cover. That happens less over time but is a life saver early.

For TB stuff, I recommend a 3DOC or an organizer pouch to carry the basic meds like Tylenol, gass drops, etc. Key straps are awesome as extra paci tethers. Just make sure you get pacis with a pull ring (some brands don’t have them) for this to work. The PU has such good organization you don’t need a lot else.

Caveat: the last several months we have shifted to just using a small shop bag to carry the basics, as our little one doesn’t need quite as much extra stuff now.

I hope this helps!
    Love the idea of the adult underpads... you could also grab some pet training pads in bulk from Costco or somewhere like that. I never thought of this but think we will start doing this when traveling and out and about with kids. Can't even count how many times it would have come in handy! Some really nasty bathrooms out there! Wink